Power Logger Requirements?

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I'm thinking of purchasing a Power Logger (Yes, I know, I should already have one if not two by now...)
Anyway, I will also need a laptop since my old one is like 10 years old (I'm not super computer literate so it's never a huge issue to have old tech.)

Can I get a way with a new cheapie laptop that would be dedicated for PL use only? What are the minimum requirements I will need as far as OS and RAM. (no windows 8 for sure because I hate it.)

anything that runs XP reasonably well will work.

the PLC main screen is 800x600, if that is the laptop screen resolution then the PLC screen will fill it completely.

Bob

Bought a Power Logger about a month ago, haven't installed in car yet.
I need to buy a laptop to use with it, is there an update so I can run the Power Logger on Windows 10 ?

Any thoughts on using the Power Logger on a Mac ?.

the current powerloggers work fine with Win 7,8,10 right out of the box.

Bob

Thanks !. Is there a place on here to download the file, without having to buy or have a laptop with a cd/DVD drive ?.

I'm trying to install PL onto my new Windows 10 laptop and when I select the folder for the drivers I get an error message that says there is no driver software in the selected software.

Here's the file path I'm using (I also tried the other i386 folder):
C:\Users\Brandon\Desktop\PowerLogger\Drivers\amd64

Any ideas?

Try ending that path at Drivers\

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Thanks, but that didn't seem to work. In my device manager it is listed under the printer. Is that normal?

No. Your drivers folder should look like mine, and is best to be in the PLC folder, or whatever you've named the folder that holds ALL of your Powerlogger stuff.

drivers folder.jpg

No. Your drivers folder should look like mine, and is best to be in the PLC folder, or whatever you've named the folder that holds ALL of your Powerlogger stuff.

View attachment 268313
That's what my driver folder looks like, but I've tried selecting the 2 different folders and modifying the file path name to end with drivers/. I also tried the "auto search for driver function". But all it found was printer drivers.

i also had trouble and this is what i did to get it .i unloaded and reloaded the software folder on the desktop .loaded the first drivers rebooted and instelled the usb drivers... worked for me

I wanted to write a simple, install procedure ........... so here is my procedure:
1. Insert PL CD into computer.
2. Click and drag PL folder onto desktop.
3. Plug USB cable into ECM and laptop.
4. Turn Key ON/Engine Off.
5. Hit the Windows Start icon.
6. Right click "Computer".
7. Hit "Manage".
8. In the window that pops up hit "device manager"
9. You will see "powerlogger" and other devise called "USB serial port" listed, both will have a yellow (!) next to them.
10. Right click on one of them and pick update driver, you will have a choice to either let the computer automatically find the driver or you can browse for a specific location. You want to browse to the desktop and just pick the "Drivers" folder listed in the PL files we dragged onto the desktop in step 2. Do not pick any specific driver, just pick the folder and let it do its thing.
11. Now, do the same exact thing for the USB serial port, steer it to the powerlogger driver folder and let it do its thang. (this was the part that screwed me up for 2 hours and I saw nothing about this anywhere, I thought something was wrong with my serial port).
12. Thats it, takes about 10 min. During the process (step 4 and beyond), the laptop has to be connected to the ECM and the Key On/Engine off until completely finished.
Thank you Eric (TurboTweak) and Bob, the Powerlogger and TurboTweak chip work very well and make tuning the car easy.

0n step #9 I do not see the power logger on the device manager list. The only thing with the "!" Is listed under the printers as an "unknown device". I've tried to update that driver every which way I know how unsuccessfully

with the new PL's you don't need the drivers folder, you use the drivers in windows update.

here is a link to a driver installer that will install the drivers for you. It is Windows Certified and signed for XP thru 10

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM v2.12.10 WHQL Certified.exe

Bob

Thanks for the help. It's working now. It was a little quirky at first because it would stop monitoring intermittently, and would not let me save a run one time, but it seems to be working ok now. I'm off to find an empty straight stretch of road now (in Mexico of course)

with the new PL's you don't need the drivers folder, you use the drivers in windows update.

here is a link to a driver installer that will install the drivers for you. It is Windows Certified and signed for XP thru 10

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM v2.12.10 WHQL Certified.exe

Bob
I just installed the newer PL version and it seems that everything was downloaded correctly, but the problem I'm having with the PL is that when I hit record and save it, I am unable to open my file? I have tried this twice now with the same results and was wondering if I should reinstall the software and start over. Note: I have Windows 10. Thanks

how are you trying to "open" the file, and where are you saving it to?

you can't double click the logfiles, you need to go to the F3 tab, hit load, and select the file. You can also drag/drop the logfiles onto the open PowerLogger program

Bob