Power Antenna Plug Trapped

TurboTJT

My power antenna started to run constantly with key off, so I went to unplug it.
Problem is the plug is trapped way down low, between the inner fender & plastic wheel housing.

I quickly disconnected the battery (suppose I could have just removed #11 radio fuse).
Either way my plug is still stuck !

I can barely see it & it takes the longest screw driver I have just to reach it.
Any suggestions to untrap it, short of removing the inner plastic wheel well?

Might be easier to unplug the antenna relay. It is to the right of the glove box (which can be fully opened and dropped down out of the way).

RemoveBeforeFlight

X2 on relay...behind lower dash between glove box and kick panel

Ok I'll try that.
That will be great for now !.

But when I go to fix the power antenna I will still need to unplug that trapped plug...........
Its trapped in such a deep tight space,
only options I see to remove antenna is pull plastic inner wheel well out or cut & splice wires.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Only options I see to remove antenna is pull plastic inner wheel well out or cut & splice wires.

IIRC, the fender and wheel well needs to be separated somewhat to get the antenna motor assembly out. Can likely get the plug out at the same time.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Spend the few bucks and get the Kirbans Book on replacing the power antenna. It will tell you exactly how to do the replacement without destroying the fender.

IIRC, the fender and wheel well needs to be separated somewhat to get the antenna motor assembly out. Can likely get the plug out at the same time.
RemoveBeforeFlight

Maybe.

But don't you only separate the outside fender skin & metal inner fender panel to remove power antenna ?
My plug is trapped between the metal inner fender panel & plastic wheel well housing.
So are those two parts (where the plug is trapped) also separated for antenna removal ?

Spend the few bucks and get the Kirbans Book on replacing the power antenna. It will tell you exactly how to do the replacement without destroying the fender.

Ok, good advice.
Will do so, before proceeding with removal.
(I hope the book also includes a "Trapped Plug" section.......)

Ok, good advice.
Will do so, before proceeding with removal.
(I hope the book also includes a "Trapped Plug" section.......)

When you replace the antenna the plug has to be fished up into the engine compartment. It is easy once you open up the fender from the door jam side. You will see once you open it up. The book has some great advice on masking the parts so you do not damage your paint job.

I just did this on my Ltd. You don't need the book you need patience. You remove the 4 10mm screws from the fender with the door open and 3 from the wheel well behind the front tire. This will allow you to pull the lower fender portion to pull the antenna motor out. If you have a Ltd like me with the chrome lower trim, you need to remove the screws from that as well.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/antenna_supl.html