Powdercoating systems?

CHARGED

Anybody here do there own powercoating? and which gun/system do you use?
Would like to start doing my own smaller parts soon and the only systems I see are the Chicago Electric and cheaper ones or the professional systems for $1,500.+ Is there anything in between for around $500.?
Getting my "home made" blasting cabinet finished and already have the oven for baking the finish just don't want to waste money on a cheap setup. Any ideas, links or info on systems or other tips for powercoating are welcome. :) :)

Yea that is the Chicago electric system that I was refering to, apparently these use a lower voltage then the Hi $ setups, just not sure if that voltage is critical for a good finished product.

Actually its the same Chicago Electric kit and it goes for $135.00 that includes a bunch of extra startup stuff and 2 different color powders.
There next step up starts at $2,000.00 :eek:
There must be a big difference in the quality of these systems for the price difference, I think I'm going to try the cheaper one to begin with unless someone knows of a better setup?

It seems like there are alot of powders on ebay alot cheaper then at columbiacoatings.com but I don't know if there is a difference in quality.
Anybody else:D

very nice

I'm not sure what everone else thinks of how the tranny came out but it does look pretty good to me, I was going to say take a look at what eastwood has to offer, but looking through the book, you can't beat harborfrieght. Even though a lot of people seem to frown on them do a search and look for yourself. for what its worth i have bought tons of stuff from them and never had a problem, right now they have an 18 inch sheet metal fabrication kitl on sale for 90 bucks usually 199 and eastwood same exact thing 239. So it looks like i will have two new toy to play with when i order them today lol.

Robert

Wow that does look amazing.

I wanted to powder coat my wheels, wonder how it would turn out with black?

WOW:eek: That trans looks great! Wonder how long that finish will hold up under the car? I guess for the small investment its worth the risk to go with the cheaper Chicago setup.
mycarsucks, Thanks for the link;)

I have the cheapy myself.

Only issue I have had is trigger sticks, so I end up turning it on and off via the pressure valve at bottom. Know of 1 other gun that did the same thing.

I use it all the time. Can't even bring myself to grab a rattle can anymore.

Here are some pics of my buick motor. Valve covers, intake, plenum, brackets all done in powder.

Key is the good sandblaster, spray with brake clean, dry with air, coat, bake.

Always gives good result.

The complicated stuff like intake, trannies, will need to be preheated first.

http://s94691562.onlinehome.us/gallery/buickmotor

eastwood
I've got their system... $150 got a full starter kit. I really like it. Just as Typhoon said, blast it, spray it, dry it, powder it, bake it. Its quite easy.

Im not sure how a $1000 kit could work any different. I have very little powder that doesn't stick.

I just need to figure out how to build a bigger oven!

blackmagic,
Have you heard anything good or bad about the metal fabrication kit? I've been thinking of getting one to play around with but don't want to waste money if it is complete junk. Sorry to highjack.

hi Lhorn it says it can handle up 18 gauge, and comes with 3 flange mandrels , 3 bead mandrels, plus the cutting one. really can't say what the quality is, but i have there metal cutting bandsaw and the 48" pan and box brakes and i got the throatless shear not too long ago haven't really played with it, but the saw and brake have work perfect for me so far and i use the brake a lot, oh and the metal fab kit that eastwood has i swear looks just about the same as the one a buddy has they weigh the same and everything so who knows, but if it works as well as the other shop equipment i have he will be jumping up and down again hateing me :D

Robert

here is the link not sure if it will work

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34104

I may get one too. Do you have the portable bandsaw or the one with the stand that works upright too? I've heard good things about the non-portable bandsaw. They say you need a new blade and different oil in it, but that it can be made to work extremely well. Thanks