Potential Buyer/Newbie with some Questions

TheLinkster

Stage 3 Everything!
Hey TurboBuick.com!

I was offered a 1987 Regal T-Type in a trade for my built Eclipse. (High 11, low 12 second car)
And I'm heavily considering the Regal. It seems like a better cruiser than my 400whp 4-Cylinder. I have been wanting something with an Automatic and A/C. lol

I have been trying my best to read up on them and have gathered some information. But 99% of the information is on how to make them fast. lol

Car in question:
1987 Regal T-Type
Silver
Unknown Miles (I forgot to ask)
Work/Upgrades is said to include rebuilt heads, upgraded turbo, MAF-T, MBC, Helper Bags in the Rear springs, GN Seats and whatever else the guy mumbled.

The owner told me he runs 15psi on 93, 20psi on Turbo Blue.
And it ran a 12.40 in the 1/4 Mile.

Pictures:
[Ok, well I cant post a URL until I have 4 posts... So no pics till then.]

From looking at the pics (Have not seen it in person yet, should be meeting him this weekend) I see that the 3.8SFITURBO Badge is on the wrong side of the trunk.
It has an insanely large Tach, A-Pillar Gauge Pod
And a very worn steering wheel.

What do you guys notice?

How are the GN's/T-Types for in terms of reliability?
My Eclipse is insanely reliable (200+ Miles a day for the past few months with no issue)
What type of MPG do they get on average? (Just a general figure, I know all cars are different)
What questions should I ask the owner?
What should I look out for?

I'm horribly new to old American cars. (I'm a VW Guy)

-James

I would do the trade, For MPG, it should be ok. Stock I think it was rated at 18-19 city- 27-28 highway. Depending on upgrades,boost,tune, it could be higher or lower. Look for rust, doors or frame that is a issue with some G bodys.
My vote is take the trade, In fact whoever is the owner is must be crazy or somebody who doesn't know what they have or no love for it. Nothing agianst a GST or anything but It's just something else driving a turbo regal. You should have a big smile on your face when you test drive it IMHO.

Also ask away about transmisson, rear end, seals, chip, turbo etc etc

take the trade you wont regret it remember a gn/turbo regal is one of the fastest factory stock cars ever produced hence the name corvett killers !

I would trade, you can always find another eclipse but these older g body's are getting harder to find in nice condition. But also what's the year and value of your car? Don't trade a 15000 car for a 7000 one, you could always sell yours and buy a turbo regal if that's what you want. But anyways find out exactly what all parts have been changed and don't just let him tell you an upgraded turbo and larger injectors get specifics. Look for rust on the bottom of the doors and in the rear of car ( frame rails, lower quarter panel, and trunk ) and post a couple bull crap replies on some threads so we can see pics, chances are there is someone on here that may know the car and can be a big help to you.

Rpo

Ask for a picture of the code sticker in the trunk and post it. Members can tell you everything about that car.

I say go for the trade either way.

I would do the trade, For MPG, it should be ok. Stock I think it was rated at 18-19 city- 27-28 highway. Depending on upgrades,boost,tune, it could be higher or lower. Look for rust, doors or frame that is a issue with some G bodys.
My vote is take the trade, In fact whoever is the owner is must be crazy or somebody who doesn't know what they have or no love for it. Nothing agianst a GST or anything but It's just something else driving a turbo regal. You should have a big smile on your face when you test drive it IMHO.

Also ask away about transmisson, rear end, seals, chip, turbo etc etc

Ok, MPG doesnt sound too bad.
I can get anywhere from 15-30mpg in my eclipse. lol

I get bored pretty quick with cars, and the owner said hes the same way. And just wants to get something different.

I would trade, you can always find another eclipse but these older g body's are getting harder to find in nice condition. But also what's the year and value of your car? Don't trade a 15000 car for a 7000 one, you could always sell yours and buy a turbo regal if that's what you want. But anyways find out exactly what all parts have been changed and don't just let him tell you an upgraded turbo and larger injectors get specifics. Look for rust on the bottom of the doors and in the rear of car ( frame rails, lower quarter panel, and trunk ) and post a couple bull crap replies on some threads so we can see pics, chances are there is someone on here that may know the car and can be a big help to you.

I'm not huge on the Turbo Regal's, but it is a slight trade up.
And the fact its an Auto is why I'm really considering it.

As for pics, thats why I'm making 3 posts in a row. lol

Ask for a picture of the code sticker in the trunk and post it. Members can tell you everything about that car.

I say go for the trade either way.

Just texted him asking for the miles and a pic of the code sticker.

Sorry for the crappy pics... Its what the guy sent me.

02132011143.jpg

02132011144.jpg

01012011072.jpg

03072011159.jpg

I see it's a t-top car. Not a big fan of them. They have their own issues. It looks like it has a vacuum conversion on the power brakes.

It doesn't look too bad. I am also not a fan of T-Tops since you lose rigidity and they tend to rattle. Some people love them and they are perfect for them. I'm just relating my personal experience owning a Monte SS with them and test driving several Grand Nationals. Almost all of them had problems, but my Monte SS was the BEST until some jack ass tried to break into the car by prying the t-tops with a screwdriver.

I can tell you this. You will get attention driving the TR. I never get compliments driving my super clean Cobra, but I always get the looks and comments when out in the TR. Even today, people somewhat know what they are/were and have a story about getting stomped on in the 80's/90's when going up against one. Even though the car market has caught up and supasssed them, they stilll command a great deal of respect. No one ever knows if a TR is a 14.4@94 runner or an 11.2@117 since they can look exactly the same. :)

I'd do the trade. If you were driving the eclipse, I wouldn't even give you a second look. No offense, but they just don't have the "IT" factor. You'll just have to get used to driving it because it certainly won't handle like your Eclipse if it is mostly stock underneath. It's give and take.

It doesn't look too bad. I am also not a fan of T-Tops since you lose rigidity and they tend to rattle. Some people love them and they are perfect for them. I'm just relating my personal experience owning a Monte SS with them and test driving several Grand Nationals. Almost all of them had problems, but my Monte SS was the BEST until some jack ass tried to break into the car by prying the t-tops with a screwdriver.

I can tell you this. You will get attention driving the TR. I never get compliments driving my super clean Cobra, but I always get the looks and comments when out in the TR. Even today, people somewhat know what they are/were and have a story about getting stomped on in the 80's/90's when going up against one. Even though the car market has caught up and supasssed them, they stilll command a great deal of respect. No one ever knows if a TR is a 14.4@94 runner or an 11.2@117 since they can look exactly the same. :)

I'd do the trade. If you were driving the eclipse, I wouldn't even give you a second look. No offense, but they just don't have the "IT" factor. You'll just have to get used to driving it because it certainly won't handle like your Eclipse if it is mostly stock underneath. It's give and take.

I kinda like the T-Tops.
I'm not about all out performance, I just like having a ton of power on tap. lol
So they arent that big of an issue. And owning a DSM, I'm used to rattles and squeaks.

As for attention, You would be surprised.
Most of the Eclipses and Talons I know of dont get much attention. But people are always interested in mine.
Then again, its not your average Eclipse.

bullseyeeclipse.jpg

Nice ride. :)

Around here, a car like that would just get lumped into the Fast N Furious crowd. Even though it is a potent performer, that's just the way it is. It's a different culture all across the country.

Good luck with your decision!

I have owned a couple of t top cars and they all leaked, some were easy fixes and my last one needed a new roof because of severe rust but you never would have known it just by looking at the car. Honest opinion if you don't have some extra cash saved up to put into the car (and you will need it) and it's your only car, do some real serious homework first. Try finding someone here who can look over the car with you, looks like a great deal but you can get in way over your head real quick with these cars.

Honest opinion if you don't have some extra cash saved up to put into the car (and you will need it) and it's your only car, do some real serious homework first.

I dont have much cash to spend in repairs. (Jobless 19 year old College Student. lol)
But my friends and I are pretty handy when it comes to repairs, moreso them.

It will be my only car. And may be stuck making a few 200 mile drives.
My dads MK4 Jetta is all torn apart for the time being, and he has been driving my car 200 Miles a day to and from work.
So reliability is a HUGE concern. I understand anything can happen to any car. But are they overall decently reliable cars?

I just dont want an unreliable bucket.
One friend was making a huge fuss about the unreliability of these cars.
Before that, I had assumed they were pretty stout.

If anyone on the forum is near Macomb Michigan and would be willing to go over the car, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a look here for some tips on what to look for. This is what I used when I bought my GN and I got a good one. If you hear a really loud squeak while test driving it, sounds like it's coming from the windshield, it's the rubber snubber that's under the hood right by the wiper blades. Drove me nuts until I figured it out. My car is a t-top car it's very tight but I have added all the braces Kirban sells as well.

The Turbo Regal Buyer's Guide

Where exactly are you located? I'm in Detroit. I'm new to turbo buicks also but I will help you out as much as I can

I dont have much cash to spend in repairs. (Jobless 19 year old College Student. lol)
But my friends and I are pretty handy when it comes to repairs, moreso them.

It will be my only car. And may be stuck making a few 200 mile drives.
My dads MK4 Jetta is all torn apart for the time being, and he has been driving my car 200 Miles a day to and from work.
So reliability is a HUGE concern. I understand anything can happen to any car. But are they overall decently reliable cars?

I just dont want an unreliable bucket.
One friend was making a huge fuss about the unreliability of these cars.
Before that, I had assumed they were pretty stout.

If anyone on the forum is near Macomb Michigan and would be willing to go over the car, it would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on car and maintenance and tune. The first h22 I built was a monster and bullet proof and I cheaped out on a bunch of stuff a friend of mine built his prelude to the GILLS and ran and tuned it with like 12 psi and couldnt keep it together (couldnt tune or drive for crap) but he didnt take care of it snd his wallet showed. My point is its not
just the car. Had nice cars that didnt last and crap that wouldnt die...but what do I know these things might not be with a crap I only drove mine for a year before I chose to tear it apart...cause im retarded...

I'm not huge on the Turbo Regal's, but it is a slight trade up.
And the fact its an Auto is why I'm really considering it.

As for pics, thats why I'm making 3 posts in a row. lol

unless Im misinterpreting it doesnt really sound like you want the car judging by your comments above.

if youre going to own one of these cars you really have to want it to put up with the little things that are inevitably going to break. (theyre old)

so unless Im misreading your desire to own one of these boosted beasts Id have to say no. but if you decide to get it WELCOME ABOARD:biggrin:

Where exactly are you located? I'm in Detroit.

I'm right over by Metro Beach.
The owner has a 313 number so I assume he is in your area.

unless Im misinterpreting it doesnt really sound like you want the car judging by your comments above.

if youre going to own one of these cars you really have to want it to put up with the little things that are inevitably going to break. (theyre old)

I do, but I dont.
I go from liking crazy horse power, to wanting a Slow VW, to wanting a Luxury Car. I can never make up my mind. I do love GN's and Turbo Regal's. But it just seems a bit "meh" to me right now.
So I often buy/sell cars. (I'm 19, and on my 6th car) So knowing that there is a good Enthusiast Base and a decent market for them is really pushing me towards it. I know if I were to build a Turbo Lexus GS300, the thing would never sell when I get bored with it.

And, I'm used to owning quirky cars. And know nothing is perfect.
Every time I drove my White 1G AWD DSM, something broke.
Considering this is an 80's American Car, it should be easy peasy. lol

I would keep what you have . If you are broke and need to drive it daily stay away . You will need to invest some money in getting that car back in daily drive shape . I bought one that I thought had no issue but it say for a long time . Driving ti regularly made alot of issues surface