Post Pics of your carbed Turbo Regals

Yup. Weird how the rust is concentrated to certain areas and the rest is perfect. patch 2 spots on the quarter, driver's floor and floor brace and its good to go after some cleaning and por 15. Hope the surface rust is just that I should be ok after some cutting and welding. Hopefully only take a couple good weeks of working on it after work. THen I'm home free when I get the body bolted back up.

I've been working hard to keep the car rust free. It sits in a storage unit waiting for a garage to come along so I can work on it. In the mean time I just try to acquire as many parts as I can from all over the internet and the country.

The body mounts on my car are worn, but not rotted. I don't have any of the rust that you have, although your car reminds me of my LeSabre T-Type which has rot in all the wrong places. I've sunk alot of money into the LeSabre T, and I'll eventually lose it all, but it's a fun car for as long as it lasts. I hope I can spare the car from the crusher before it's too late, but for now it's future looks grim. My Regal T-Type is in MUCH better shape than the LeSabre body-wise. I just hope that by the time I get it on the road, gas-powered cars aren't banned and gas prices are cheaper than $10/gallon.

"D.L."

Here's my project and I still haven't had time to do much so sorry for the rough condition.
Pictures021.jpg
Pictures015.jpg
I thought that I recognized that car. Greg & Rick are good Buick guys. They have helped me out a lot as well.

Lookin' at pics of pre 84's makes me really want to get the 83 t-type out (or in rather) clean it up, and put it back together. Not for show, but would still make a great driver. It's been sitting a looong time, but it's all there. I'll post some pics later from when it was on the road and some new ones when I drag it out of the field. It was my first "real" car, so I've never been able to let it go. It's got a few extras too, big rear out of later model T, MSD ignition with timing adj and I'm sure a few communities of various critters by now.

Pics of My 83T

Sorry about the poor quality. These are from a cheap camera in 1992. I loved that car! I may even have a random video of it somewhere...

83Trear.jpg

83T.jpg

83Tside.jpg

I gotta scan the pics of my old 78 Sport Coupe. See these cars sure makes me miss my old 78.
John

Oh dude tell me about it. I'm still kickin' myself (my friends kick me too) about selling my 79. I have a few pics of it somewhere. None with the wheels but at least I got some crappy disposables of it. Next time I go to my friend's house they're getting scanned! I know where there's another 79 sitting but it's out ina field and needs to be all redone. Body looked good though but would still be a whole tear down thing like what I got. Rather have a nice carbed turbo to cruise than that stupid t/a. Just doesn't do it for me. Hell gut it, paint it, new interior, go through motor, port heads, OD tranny, 3.08 gears-she be good to go;)

Not exactly a stock "before black" car but I thought some of you might like to see my project. Its an 84 regal with a 3.8 with a 4bbl carb and aluminum intake from a 4.1 and double points dist. Runs pretty well with around 6 lbs of boost. The turbo is from an 84 ttype. I couldn't find a stock carb bonnet so I made one from a camping pot (red neck I know):cool: . Take a look 1dollardog - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Nice work. They way you adapted the turbo to the manfold is similar to an 86/87 set up. I wonder how much boost the Q-jet can handle? Is the computer still used at all (I see the non-HEI distribtor)? Does an '84 3.8 have a knock sensor?

I need a new daily driver and was thinking of adapting a 86/87 turbo to anything I could find with a 3.8 or 4.1 V6.

Nice work. They way you adapted the turbo to the manfold is similar to an 86/87 set up. I wonder how much boost the Q-jet can handle? Is the computer still used at all (I see the non-HEI distribtor)? Does an '84 3.8 have a knock sensor?

I need a new daily driver and was thinking of adapting a 86/87 turbo to anything I could find with a 3.8 or 4.1 V6.

Computer isn't used in this application and I'm not sure if the stock 84 uses a knock sensor but one is needed. I try not to let it get to that point but it does happen occasionally. A rev limiter would help alot too because once the R's start going up it is hard to control them. The up pipe was a little tricky, I used the same fittings as the stock 84 up pipe would use but just used a very short 3"long 2.5" pipe flanged on both ends to fit the manifold and turbo. That is the only mounting I have for the turbo right now. It has to be that short so the turbo doesn't rub the hood. The carb probably couldn't take much more than I put into it right now, I'm afraid of blowing something out. Fuel delivery was (is) a little tricky because the car already has a 340 walbro fp and it delivers too much for the carb to handle at idle. The carb's fuel return couldn't get rid of the excess fuel quick enough. I tried a stock gn fuel pressure regulator but it was still too much for it. I finally got it to work but is one of those "I can show you but I don't know how to tell you" kind of things. Long story short, It is a good cheap econo "spare parts" build and conversation piece and a fun project and a very good driver but I don't wan't to pull up along side a GNX and start reving my engine any time soon. I plan on cloning a 87 gn and just drive it (unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse first);) .

That's a hoot dude. I like it and can just see some of the ideas goin through the comunity. I wonder if you could do better with an msd electronig box set up though.

That's a hoot dude. I like it and can just see some of the ideas goin through the comunity. I wonder if you could do better with an msd electronig box set up though.

Yeah the MSD box is really needed and will probably be added eventually. I'm sure it also needs a "blow through" carb but for now I just started with the basics "fuel, air and fire" and I will be upgrading as time goes on (and as I can get good deals on parts). I haven't tried to put it back on yet but I think that my AC compressor will fit back into the stock location. I pulled it off because I originally had the turbo outlet pointing downward (loosen the turbo/wastegate bolts and it swivles to any position) kind of like the 86-87 location to feed into an innercooler but the alternator bracket would have to be cut and modded. I still may do that sometime later but it works just fine for now. I'm basically running on 1960's technology.

I thought that I recognized that car. Greg & Rick are good Buick guys. They have helped me out a lot as well.

Not the same car, Carl. Looks very similar to the one we have at the shop right now.

Greg Kring
Arlington, tx

Scanned some pics of my old 78 Regal Sport Coupe. It was my 1st car. Bought it with 40,000 miles in 83 and sold it with 248,000 miles in 97.

The 1st 3 pics were after paint, but before buffing. The last was after put back together. People used to say their car was the same color, but they never were. Factory Caramel Metallic sprayed over a bright yellow basecoat. Sprayed 2 color coats and 4 or 5 coats of clear. The car still looked freshly painted when I sold it 8 years later. It was totaled in 02 or 03.:frown:

I gotta try re-scanning the last one at a higher resolution and find some more pics.
John

Attachments

• 78 buick 1.JPG
    78 buick 1.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 490
  • 78 buick 2.JPG
    78 buick 2.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 496
  • 78 buick 3.JPG
    78 buick 3.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 495
  • 78 buick 4.JPG
    78 buick 4.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 488
Here's my 82 TRSC Clone

Here's a few pix of my 82 TRSC Clone. It started out as a 84 NA Regal and a 82 TRSC donor. After stripping several cars, I had a bunch of decent stuff laying around, so I put it to use. It's just a driver, so why waste the money on making it perfect. I did all the work even the paint. The drive train is pretty close to 100%, however the decor package (header panel, tail lights, emblems, seats etc..) is way off, but I like it.

Attachments

• T Type Pix 002.JPG
    T Type Pix 002.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 425
  • T Type Pix 003.JPG
    T Type Pix 003.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 411
  • T Type Pix 008.JPG
    T Type Pix 008.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 402
  • T Type Pix 009.JPG
    T Type Pix 009.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 409
  • T Type Pix 010.JPG
    T Type Pix 010.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 403
Here's a couple more pix

Here's a couple more pix of my clone project.

Attachments

• T Type Pix 011.JPG
    T Type Pix 011.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 399
  • T Type Pix 012.JPG
    T Type Pix 012.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 420