Possible Alternator Issue?

Haynesie

Hi Everyone, wondering if my ignition problems could be from a weak alternator. When idiling my volt meter shows only 10 volts, when I give it some gas it will go to about 11/12 volts, but does not go higher. I am concerned that my ignition system is not getting enough voltage to spark at RPM's higher than RPM because the alternator is not putting out enough spark. Is this a possibility? I'm not sure how many amps the thing is putting out, but I don't remember it being a high one.

If it is the alternator, can any of you recommend a good one? I know I have heard of some people using Impala alternators, but I am looking for one that will bolt right in, but with more output.

Thanks,

If you have any friend in a dealership they should be able to test your charging system and see if you have a bad alt. Obviously something is wrong though. Is your Volt light coming on in the dash with key-on engine-off, it should? If its not coming on their may be a problem with the bulb or where the speedo cluster harness plugs into the dash.

Jason,

The alternator is one of the most overlooked parts on these cars, my friend Gary in the Magna club, chased a alternator problem for months before he found it. I'm going to pull mine over the winter and have it gone through.....

Chuck