port and polished heads

jwheelz1212

i have a stock motor in my 86 gn, just some minor mods like a bigger turbo and a scan master exhaust and intake but that's about it, im thinking about port and polishing my heads, just wondering what type of improvements i will see, any experience or feed back would be greatly appreciated

Leave the heads alone until you pop a head gasket.

First step is a scanmaster to setup your parameters and monitor knock.

From there fuel pump and hotwire.. chip.. and get it running optimally at 16 PSI boost.
From there add octane and turn boost up.. 100/104/110/etc

Easy power is turning up the boost. Some do alcohol injection for the octane.

Example one car with ported heads at 16 psi, vs same car stock motor and alcohol injection at 25 psi.. the motor at 25 PSI will smoke the ported head motor car.

At some point beating on it you'll pop a head gasket.. then do the roller cam and ported heads. At that point your use to tuning it and everything comes easier.

Careful with pandora's box.. do anything to not have to tear into the motor or trans and you'll be happy.

I agree with Razor. There are many cars running in the tens with stock heads. I have personally run 11.01 on several different outings with a stock unopened long block with 99K miles. Get a scanmaster and learn how to tune the car first.

RJ

All excellent advice from guys more knowledgeable than myself. But in this months issue of GMhightechperformance.com they do a roller cam and ported/polished heads on a TB and got an extra 50HP if I remember correctly running the same boost level

I recently put on a set of Champion irons. It sure seems more powerful. I had heard it wouldn't make much difference, but I'm not so sure. No track time so who knows.

There is no doubt ported heads and a roller cam will make more power, but a roller cam setup will cost about $850, and the heads will run about $1250. Factor in shipping costs, additional parts and labor and you could easily have $3500 invested. For a fraction of that you could pick up the same performance with typical bolt ons and maximizing the combo with tuning and seat time.

thanks guys, yeah ig to a hot wire kit and a adjustable waste gate on my new turbo, just need a good tune to get the most power out of my car, thank you for the advice

I agree with all the above, and can say the port/roller will give at 16 psi what the other does at around 19psi.

thanks guys, yeah ig to a hot wire kit and a adjustable waste gate on my new turbo, just need a good tune to get the most power out of my car, thank you for the advice

First mod is a scantool. You will learn this sooner or latter. :redface: