poping

vader85231

I have an 85 t type and i just went in and put new injectors, valve spring and a bigger crossover. The car runs great now until you hit around half throttle of around 12 psi kinda varies. I know my plug wires need to be changed they pulled apart at the plugs. Could that be the prob or something else. The car also wont rev higher than 4300 rpm in gear or park. Any help would be great.
Brad

Plug wires can definitely cause problems. Try having someone rev it, or almost powerbrake it, while the hood is up and it is in the dark. Look for spark jumping to the head, header, brackets, etc.

Also, another question comes to mind: What injectors, and did you get a chip to match? Is it stuttering, or just slow to rev, then stops at 4300? Check fuel pressure? Fuel pressure while revving, does it drop?

Let me know!

Squid

Well i just checked it running in the dark no spark jump. I put tomco 30lb injectors its the stock 85 chip. soon to upgrade to 87 computer. I have my fuel pressure set at 43 psi. I just changed out my mass air and the poping almost stoped, it did it once. It now just shutters a little over half throttle or around 13lbs or more.I have an air fuel gauge too in the car and it dosent go lean when that happens. The car revs up good and fast. Just when you get to 4300 it either stays right at it still floored of it acts like a rev limiter. Thanks for your help squid.

Brad

Anytime brother! I would swap those wires out and try it again. Definitely let us know the outcome, whether it fixes it or not.

Squid

What fuel pump? I am learning my fuel pump and pressure my be my problem... Any luck getting it fixed yet?

squid

Well i havent got it wixed yet, going to get some new mires next week. I have a fuel pump from poston. Its about 4 years old. I got snow on the ground now, once it melts i can run the car around the block and check f/p under full throttle.

Any luck, or time to fix your car, Vader?

Just curious, mine is still apart for HG's, etc.

Squid

yes, you can do an in car fuel pressure gauge, an isolator is required to get on a track, and is a good idea (read:a requirement) for safety reasons.

where do i get this insulator and all the stuff i need to insatll this fuel pressure gauge? or i should ask wat exactly do i need to do this?

Summit racing sells the isolator, and the gauge, usually in a kit. The isolator is kind of like a diaphragm. The fuel line runs to one side of the diaphragm, then there is antifreeze on the other side in the line. The fuel pressure causes a differential in pressure on the other side, pushing antifreeze towards the gauge. Reason being, antifreeze is much safer if a spill happens in the passenger compartment than fuel.

Make sense at all? I've had a few egg nogs... :)

Squid

thanx for ur tips n advice so is that all that i will need to order from summit is the insulator n fuel pressure gauge? see wat i dont know is where to hook it up too i know we have some links on here that show a detailed pic of the engine n turbo wit every hose and screw maybe if u can find it n direct me to a specific place or line or hose that im soppose to tap into or hook up the gauge too that would be great but another thing i got from ur reply is that is there a possibilty of fuel leaki in my ride by having my gauge inside the car
/?

I had a similar problem in mine. only mine was alittle worse. i had popping in the engine and in park or while power braking i could not get the car over 2200 rpms. my problem was the coil pack. just a suggestion. Harry