poor mans stage 2

Ya didn't know where to put it, but you think its worth trying?

junk in junk out. The guy that did that went threw a LOT of motors an really never did squat at the track .

Good, Fast, Cheap ........ pick any two.....

If you want good and fast..... it's not going to be cheap....

If you want good and cheap...... it's not going to be fast

If you want it fast and cheap ...... it's definately not going to be good!

According the that article the best he ran was 11.40. Totally doable with a stock block/unported heads/stock cam. I've only seen one guy around here with a 4.1 and it was alway broken.

According the that article the best he ran was 11.40. Totally doable with a stock block/unported heads/stock cam. I've only seen one guy around here with a 4.1 and it was alway broken.

hahahaha... BIG turbo an in a light Mazda !! "BUDGET doesn't belong in his article !! This was also broken way more than running !!! Oh as far as his prices ... Multiply them by 3 or 4 before he got it to stay together. Always had problems with it goin to the track.

The guy with the 4.1 that I saw was out of Fitchburg or there abouts. Met him a couple of times and he was always having issues. Last I heard of that engine it was getting "freshened" over winter. That was like 3 years ago.o_O

A production 4.1 build make a great street/strip engine with LOTS of low end torque, and it can be reliable IF it is done properly.

Before my alum block, I built a 4.1 with a virgin stock crank, custom forged pistons and steel caps with alum heads and ran low 10's for a few years. I sold the complete engine and it was used in a street car for additional years.

I am currently building a production 4.1 stroker with all forged parts, solid roller cam and well ported heads for a high 9 sec. GN build. This will easily exceed 650 HP reliably.

Of course this will NOT be cheap at $10K+.

Last I checked, horsepower is NOT cheap in and make or model. :)

I've built many different 4.1's so far and had no issues. They are a blast to drive and make a ton of power.

What would be a good reliable setup doing this to a regal I picked up today. So there is no way to get close to the claimed 500 crank HP with this guys build?

Mine made 585 wheel HP so it def do-able. Mine has been very reliable for the last 3 years and I have been hard on it.

We have gone 10.009@132mph on drag radials with a production 4.1. The car would have gone into the 9's with ease but the motor was breaking up around 5200 rpm. It could have been a coil/module or even spark plug gap issues but we never got to make a clean pass after that because we broke the #2 stock main cap even though it had a Girdle on. This motor had over 100 quarter mile passes. 95% of them were in the 10's and the fastest being 10.009@ 132mph with 110 race gas along with an old school Fast system. It also made 604 RWHP at around 30 psi boost with a GT42/76 Turbo. The same motor in another car went 10.20's @132 on E85 with the MafPro setup. The car never hooked right though. I also believe the motor made 585 to rear wheels.

The combo on this motor was; 291 cast production 4.1 block, RJC girdle, J&E pistons, BMS rods,( I think stock rods should have been ok) stock crank, Ported Iron heads with 1.77's and 1.50 valves, Flat tappet cam I want to say it's an odd grind like 222/216 or something but not sure. 120lbs injectors, 70mm TB and plenum, Ported intake Poston headers with HKS 46mm waste gate on the cross over pipe, 4" down pipe, TH400 trans with a brake and some crappy convertor, Weldon pump and so on.

I think the #2 main cap broke while trying to spool up the 42/76 turbo off the foot brake when the trans brake switch failed. My buddy stood on the foot brake for a while. When I took the motor to the machine shop they said #2 two main broke, the crank was no good and the Girdle had warped. Since then I got a stock stroke (3.40) Steel crank another stock main cap ( I know I should have gone with billet cap) I also sent the Girdle back to Jason and RJC and had it resurfaced. This motor is going back in my TTA along with a 215-220 Full Throttle speed roller cam, Fully ported TTA heads and a GTQ 71 turbo and so on. I am hoping to make the same amount of power.

All and all, if I didn't think it was reliable, I would have taken all of the guts and stuffed it in one of stage blocks I have sitting around. Who knows, I may crack the block on my first pass lol.
HTH
Prasad

I believe I know that motor. The cam was a 218 and yes the converter was junk

I believe I made that pass that went10.09 not bad for a shirt cam and converter must have been the driver and my pit crew

I believe I made that pass that went10.09 not bad for a shirt cam and converter must have been the driver and my pit crew

It's wasn't the pit crew for sure, I think the driver had his diaper too tight and bailed on the gas pedal. Otherwise it would have been in the 9's for sure. You ran a 10.009 not 10.09. Remember the car started to break up around 5000 RPM too so you had to shift early as well.

It's good to see you here Mikeee!!!!
Prasad