Pontiac powered?

GoldT

Looks slow, goes fast!
I was watching some of the 24 hour race yesterday and noticed the announcers mention that one or more of the racecars were powered by Pontiac engines. So is the Pontiac division building their own engines? If so, then why wouldn't Buick step up and build their own?

It was a LS1 based motor. 5.5L

So technically its not a Pontiac Motor

Jon
ls1gto.com

I was watching the first 4 hrs or so. They said at the begining that you could call it anything you want. GM wants to generalize their engines. Any GM division that has a car with ls1 in it could could say it's their engine. That's how I understood it anyway.

So basically it's a Chevy. Kind of like the Olds Aurora V8 is a Caddy. What about the 3800 Series II, is that a Chevy or a Buick derivitave? You know, it's kind of ironic that the coolest Trans Ams(in my opinion)have Chevy, Olds, or Buick power. But then my daily driver is a re-badged Corolla(Geo Prizm)that's sold at Chevy dealers, so what do I know?

The 3800 is based on the 231 Buick not the 229 chevy. But GM wants to call it a corporate engine.I think that GM thinks it's better for selling cars--NOT to be associated with design from the early sixties.

Originally posted by jon_we4
It was a LS1 based motor. 5.5L

So technically its not a Pontiac Motor

Jon
ls1gto.com

Actually if you'd seen some of the stuff during the rain delay, they indicated that all the GM engines were LS6 based.

The LS1 is also the only motor you can run in the ASA series. I feel sorry for the guys running a Taurus or Intrepid body with a GM V-8. Even if they win a race they got there with a Chevy motor. Check this out,scroll down to the picture of the LS1. http://www.asaracing.com/history/