Polishing car using 3000 grit paper?

HellOnWheels

HellOnWheels
I'm looking for a post that I read some year(s)? ago where the writter used up to 3000 grit paper to restore the paint on his GN. He went into detail of the stages of working up to a finished shine, it was a long post with pics.

Can anyone furnish a link please?? I tried but couldn't find.

Appreciate your help

Jerry

I think it would be better to find someone with a decent buffer and the right products to finish the paint. 3000 grit paper isn't cheap, you'd need quite a bit of it to wet sand the whole car, and even then you'd likely need to finish the job with some machine polishing. Not to mention the amount of work all that would take. No doubt, if done right, the result would be outstanding, but just probably not worth the extra effort IMHO.

I have had good luck with a product from Surf City Garage called "Beyond Clay." It really works good on reviving paint.

Rob

3000 grit trizact paper wet on a d/a works awesome and saves a ton of work and potential burn throughs with the buffer. Once I started using it I wondered how I'd ever lived without it. It is possible to buff out anything finer than 1500 but 2k or 3000 is much much easier. It is not cheap though and would use a lot on a whole car. I found it's easier to 3000 grit things like tree scuffs and then buff it VS just buff. This is on modern factory clear coats though. Guys buffing fresh paint have a different ball game. And it's not gonna make it shine, you will still have buffing to do. It IS still sandpaper.