Police Confront Man for Open Carrying Firearm Legally

wow that's a catch 22.wouldn't feel great having a stranger with a gun walk up on me if I was the cop,but I can see the op right to carry and not break any law.but common sense need to be used here and if there wasn't any I could have got ugly. all throughout that video you can see the balance of power struggle.

It's our constitutional rights. Not much to review there.
Im not talking about Constitutional rights, Im talking NM's state law concerning handguns. What I gathered from the video is an officer doesnt have the legal right to question a persons "permission" to be carring an firearm.

I wonder what the crime rate is in NM compared to the rest of the country.

If it's in the top five lowest category or so, then the openly carrying firearms works just fine.

D

Mr.Spool said:
wow that's a catch 22.wouldn't feel great having a stranger with a gun walk up on me if I was the cop,but I can see the op right to carry and not break any law.but common sense need to be used here and if there wasn't any I could have got ugly. all throughout that video you can see the balance of power struggle.
Power struggle? The police are supposed to be in control of the situation otherwise they are useless. This clown didnt put his had on the gun or he would have been drawn on or tazed if the officers had tazers.

I think if he put his hand on his gun he would've been shot dead. They'd be in the right as well. He definitely was creating an uncomfortable situation there.

D

First off let's look at the whole picture please.

1. Open carry is legal he is doing nothing wrong.
2. Cops "for the most part"are wrapped way too tight these days with criminals being let off so lightly and they having to face them repeatedly.
3. No ex-con/criminal is going to open carry.
4. Non-criminal, legal carry people have a .0001 rate of committing a crime with a gun.
5. If the cop was called to a disturbance and someone appeared with a gun that is a whole different scenario.

So with that information given if I was an officer who witnesses someone walking down the street with a gun I would not feel threatened. I would ask him his intention and nothing more. Depending on location and laws I would not push the boundary as many officers like to believing we don't deserve to breath their air.

Mikey

First off let's look at the whole picture please.

1. Open carry is legal he is doing nothing wrong.
2. Cops "for the most part"are wrapped way too tight these days with criminals being let off so lightly and they having to face them repeatedly.
3. No ex-con/criminal is going to open carry.
4. Non-criminal, legal carry people have a .0001 rate of committing a crime with a gun.
5. If the cop was called to a disturbance and someone appeared with a gun that is a whole different scenario.

So with that information given if I was an officer who witnesses someone walking down the street with a gun I would not feel threatened. I would ask him his intention and nothing more. Depending on location and laws I would not push the boundary as many officers like to believing we don't deserve to breath their air.

Mikey
This dufus wasn't just walking down the street. He approached the officer while he was fully engagaed with a motorist. He got so close that the officer had to turn his attention away from the motorist and both address and direct the individual to back away. That's what happened in this video. Based on his stupididty alone, this interaction could have gone a lot differently for both the cop and dufus boy. Ever see a video of a cop shot while his own dash cam was rolling. The motorist can pose a threat as well as this dick every moment the officer has to engage either of them. This jackoff put the officer's safety at risk and I would have taken control of him until I was done...then he would have been free to leave...and if he didn't listen to me, he'd have lunch balogna sandwich style.

Thats they way I see it. The driver could have had a gun and shot the cop as soon as he turned away to talk to the punk with the camera. People dont like cops for one reason .They get stopped to much for doing stupid stuff or they are trouble makers that have to many dealings with the cops. I know alot of cops that are real cool untill an asshat like this thinks hes proving a point because he thinks hes cool and thinks he above the law. The cops have a hard enough time dealing with real criminals. I get pulled over Its yes sir no sir and guess what I dont have any problems .Maybe once in a while you might get a cop thats pissed off but who knows what he just saw or dealt with before he stopped you. Give them a break. It aint all traffic stops for them. My cousin sees stuff he told me I never want to see.

Jesus Christ they're multiplying! These retards are going to make laws change even faster. Unbelievable!

I wasn't even looking for anything related and still came across this.

D

Jesus Christ they're multiplying! These retards are going to make laws change even faster. Unbelievable!

I wasn't even looking for anything related and still came across this.

D

So...if we continue to carry guns around they will make it so we can't carry guns around? So the only way to protect our right to carry guns would be to not carry guns? :confused:

That guy is a dumb ass and it would of been funny to see him getting dropped like a stone by those cops.

These idiots above are just trying to stir up trouble, want to loose that open carry 'right', just keep acting like that sh!theads, real easy for the state government to revoke open carry laws. I'm not for that, but I'm not for idiots walking the street scaring people, good thing they didn't get surround by cops with auto ARs drawn down on them. Real easy to go bad real quick, then some innocent gets hurt because they want to be 'internet warriors'. They'd probably sh!t their pants once the first round was fired.

So...if we continue to carry guns around they will make it so we can't carry guns around? So the only way to protect our right to carry guns would be to not carry guns? :confused:

That's not what I said. But to walk around with a loaded AR is stupid!

D

What is the guy going to say when his sister is getting raped on the other side of town and he is here waisting the cops valuable time. Morons. These morons need to be removed from the gene pool. I like when they are always in the nice part of town. Like stated above The first round would have them on the ground. They should become cops.

It's our constitutional rights. Not much to review there.

Just my .02
But I think y'all are missing the big picture here. It's our constitutional rights is what I think the video is really all about. This is not Nazi Germany. We don't have to show our papers just because a cop says so. The cop are suppose to know the laws not just some of them. They are suppose to protect our all of our Constitutional rights not just some of them. It had nothing to do with the girl and everything to do with if the cops new the laws or not is what I got out of the video . I think it's more of an Educational video on our rights than it is watch me Harass a cop video.

Like I said just me .02

Shaun

Just my .02
But I think y'all are missing the big picture here. It's our constitutional rights is what I think the video is really all about. This is not Nazi Germany. We don't have to show our papers just because a cop says so. The cop are suppose to know the laws not just some of them. They are suppose to protect our all of our Constitutional rights not just some of them. It had nothing to do with the girl and everything to do with if the cops new the laws or not is what I got out of the video . I think it's more of an Educational video on our rights than it is watch me Harass a cop video.

Like I said just me .02

Shaun

I agree with most that, but it is literally impossible to know all the laws. The federal gov't added something like 80,000 pages of new laws and regulations in a 2 year span. I'm not sure how many they add at that state level, but I'm sure it's more than anyone can remember. I bet they are pretty good at remembering the ones that generate revenue the best though ;)

the guy never walked up to the officer, he was clearly across the street, never interfered with the officer in the performance of his duties.
If my girl gets stopped and I have a opportunity to be there, I would . I would wait till the officer completes his duties and then find out from her what the ticket is for. my view of this is the officer did not like to be video taped, I am very sure the officer knows what the law is in his state, if he feels uncomfortable with people open carrying around him, I can understand that but he also has to realize that in his state that is totally legal. I give the guy credit for knowing his rights, and I give the cop credit for knowing when to just to let it go.
in my opinion the camera was what ticked the cop off, if he was worried about the firearm he would have stopped what he was doing
and addressed the bigger issue which is of course the firearm, he did not do that, he finished his ticket , got back in his car and followed
the guy and made a stop. I would have addressed the guy first, upon learning that this guy was the girls boyfriend.

I would have called for back-up , when another unit arrived , I would have advised him of the situation and told my back-up to just keep
an eye on him while I finished writing my citation. I CAN CLEARLY UNDERSTAND THE SAFETY ISSUE . I just don't think he liked
been video tapped. I feel video tapping keeps everyone honest, some cops are used to been video taped some are not. I can see both sides of the argument here, the bottom line is the guy knows his rights and did not break any laws. the officer has a right to be cautious, I would have. open carry or not. you always have to be more aware when someone who is not in law enforcement is carrying a firearm, you just don't know that persons intention, he might be a normal guy and that's great or he might be a guy who's about to loose it. its
that unknown factor that can make someone feel uncomfortable. good topic

the guy never walked up to the officer, he was clearly across the street, never interfered with the officer in the performance of his duties.
If my girl gets stopped and I have a opportunity to be there, I would . I would wait till the officer completes his duties and then find out from her what the ticket is for. my view of this is the officer did not like to be video taped, I am very sure the officer knows what the law is in his state, if he feels uncomfortable with people open carrying around him, I can understand that but he also has to realize that in his state that is totally legal. I give the guy credit for knowing his rights, and I give the cop credit for knowing when to just to let it go.
in my opinion the camera was what ticked the cop off, if he was worried about the firearm he would have stopped what he was doing
and addressed the bigger issue which is of course the firearm, he did not do that, he finished his ticket , got back in his car and followed
the guy and made a stop. I would have addressed the guy first, upon learning that this guy was the girls boyfriend.

I would have called for back-up , when another unit arrived , I would have advised him of the situation and told my back-up to just keep
an eye on him while I finished writing my citation. I CAN CLEARLY UNDERSTAND THE SAFETY ISSUE . I just don't think he liked
been video tapped. I feel video tapping keeps everyone honest, some cops are used to been video taped some are not. I can see both sides of the argument here, the bottom line is the guy knows his rights and did not break any laws. the officer has a right to be cautious, I would have. open carry or not. you always have to be more aware when someone who is not in law enforcement is carrying a firearm, you just don't know that persons intention, he might be a normal guy and that's great or he might be a guy who's about to loose it. its
that unknown factor that can make someone feel uncomfortable. good topic

I don't know what video you watched but this dork clearly walked right up to the front of the car stopped and says, "How ya doin'?" The officer looked right at him and with his hand, had to motion the guy to move away. The dork acknowledged it by saying, "I'll stay out of your way." and then he moved back across the street. This had everything to do with this guy and his weapon ONLY because he walked toward the stop and forced the officer to acknowledge his presence. Well, he got his wish.

For the record, most cops are used to or getting used to being videotaped. Many departments have dash mounted cams which record the officer's action (audio and video) during traffic stops (like we saw here) as well as many other events that happen throughout their day. It was the handgun but not the open carry that drew the ire of the officer. As the cop explained when he approached later, this was a safety issue and it became so when this dufus voluntarily injected himself where he had no business being! He's fortunate it went down the way it did. I would have given that joker two options...stand where I can see you or leave. If he failed to exercise either one of those, I would have cuffed him, finished the business at hand so I don't delay the motorist any further and then uncuffed him and sent him on his way. All legal like ;).

at the very least.........

Lets Leave New Mexico out of this......

You Might Be Supprised How Nice It Can Be Here....