****please help me turn a forum off*****

I don't mind the ads that much. I just would like to be able to control what I would like to view. Kind of like parental controls.

Funny thing is that I actually don't mind the ads, like you, just want the control the sub-forums you see back. Just mention the ads as a way to offer an incentive to people to donate to the site.

Wow !

Used to be able to block any section you want and the search engine actually worked.

Geoff, thanks for the effort in trying to band aid the problems.

And before people start screaming about how we're getting rich off this stuff, the Ebay ads have made a whole $62 for September. Yea, we're raking it in. We've made 1/10th the hosting cost this month.

Simple Math:
This would suggest $620.00 a month for hosting
or
$620.00 x 12 months = $7440.00 a year hosting
so
32,000 members x .25cents a year = $8,000.00 a year (suggested costs covered).

Now suppose only 3,000 people decide to subscribe for $6.00 a year
3,000 x $6.00 = $18,000 (covers suggested costs)

I would be willing to pay/subscribe to the site.
However $10.00 a month would seem to be a VERY high price.

Just for the hell of it:
$10.00 a month = $120.00 per year.
$120.00 per year x 5,000 members = $600,000.00

These are more or less theoretical numbers, just kicking it around, see what I get...........
The unknown of course is how many people would subscribe.
32,000 at a dollar or two a year should cover it

Other site I'm on for my bike has a flat rate lifetime membership of around 60 bucks....it is worth it cause it is THE number one site for info on the bike..much like this site is the number one site for TBs...soooooo...I think it is a pretty reasonable fee to start with. Yet all we hear is crickets. I guess the game is over because someone took their ball and left.

Other car sites I'm on charge nothing and the members dont get b!tched at, probably because admins realize members are the reason a board survives or dies off.