PLeas sign a petiton to save Kansas City International Raceway

YouLikeThat

Hi friends,
You may have seen on the news that KCMO has passed an emergency bill to purchase KCIR. To make a short story short the owner didn't want this and the city pressured them into selling. There shouldn't have been an emergency bill(but since it was brought to the city as and emergency there was no way to protest the bill) the money to buy property in the area has been available to purchase land in the area for years and KCIR has been in the same location since 1967.

Please take a few minutes and sign the online petition and help us save this community of friends and families that love this sport and need KCIR.

The petition and more info. We have over 3,000 signatures so far!
Petition: The MO State Senate: Please Don't Turn KCIR into a Park | Change.org

Thank you for your time and support.

Scott Reed

I saw this somewhere else and signed it, is it supposed to give you an email notification or something when it goes thru? Or how do you know it went thru?

I signed with the following comment:

Drag racing at a proper facility not only reduces incidents of dangerous street racing, but it also provides many jobs both directly and indirectly. From track employees, to all the firms that provide parts and services to support the race cars and tow rigs. Losing more jobs is the last thing this economy needs.

I signed with the following comment:
Awesome! over 50 of us showed up at city hall today and 5 or 6 different media outlets showed up also. We are very lucky to have an excellent GM of the track and an excellent attorney on our side speaking on our behalf. If I see any clips I'll post them up. I should have recorded the interviews.

I clip from the race last Saturday.
Drag racing at KCIR could come to a halt - NBCActionNews.com

Thanks again for everyone's support.
Scott

We made the front page of the Kansas City Star today!
Race fans protest plan to put KC park on drag-strip site - KansasCity.com

We also received a statement from the track owner.

Throughout history KCIR has had its trials and tribulations that we have all had to endure and this chapter is no different. To all of the loyal fans and racers I can’t thank you enough for all your support. I am sorry I have not communicated on a broad spectrum earlier but by a contractual obligation and advice of our attorney we were asked to refrain from any public statements for the time being. I have since realized with all of the uncertainty it is vitally important that everyone know our side of the story, or at least as much as we are allowed to share at this time. I assure you it will be fully disclosed in time.
The entire story is too lengthy to tell in detail but I will attempt to give you the Cliff’s notes version. After we sold the track in 2008, the owner at that time offered to sell KCIR to the city for a park (which was necessary to complete the housing development across the road) and planned to build a new motorsports facility in conjunction with a road course up by the airport. As we all know those plans took a dramatic halt.
After learning the plans a group of investors had for the property, that didn’t include a drag strip, I set out on a mission to help save the track. With family life as my priority (wife and four kids) I knew I didn’t have the time available to put forth towards the track, as an owner, that it needed. Luckily Chris was in a position that he was willing to help even knowing the uncertainties surrounded by the current situation. I can assure you, without Chris we never would have even got this far.
Shortly after the transition I was approached by neighborhood and city officials to discuss the future of the track in its current location. I was asked to develop a proposal for what I felt would be a viable motorsports entity that would be located within Kansas City and would be a draw for the city. With the aid of Dan Porrevechio (yes he actually has been helping ) we developed a very comprehensive plan to relocate the track and develop a motorsports business that would be a “win” for everyone involved. As time went by we needed an answer and gave the city a deadline, the deadline approached and they asked for a week extension (which we granted) at the end of the week is when we received our first letter. You have all seen that one. Since that time, not knowing exactly what was going to happen, we have spent a considerable amount of time and money consulting with our attorneys looking for any other options and none were available. To this date no one has came to us with any options. The ability to exercise eminent domain through the use of condemnation is a very powerful and it is very expensive to the land owner(s). We have been given a very loud and clear message we are not wanted here. If you read between the lines of what is being said publicly you can see the play on words and how they are trying to use them to their advantage.
Our intentions never have been or will be to eliminate drag racing in Kansas City. Remember how I make my living. Anyone that actually knows me knows better. I do have a desire to help with a new track that we could all enjoy with much fewer restrictions in an area that we are welcome. We are continuing discussions to try to find a feasible solution for all racers, fans and owners.
Again, I can’t thank all of you supporters enough for what you are trying to do.
Rob Park

and from the track GM

To All Parties Involved:

The time has come for the facts to be known. Frankly as a person who is facing losing their livelihood (along with many others) I want the facts to be exposed and for people to be in a position to make a decision as to what is right and what is wrong. He said, she said is getting us nowhere and not serving anyone. I ask that those that have the power release ALL DOCUMENTED FACTS and free up everyone involved to speak freely about FACTS. Emails, documented conversations, contracts, correspondence, financial impacts, costs to accomplish stated goals, etc. Our Community leaders should meet their obligation to serve the public and allow this to happen. Make this a transparent process so that what should be done in the best interest of the majority can be done.

This is a complex situation that has a simple solution that at the end of the day most, if not all, can live with. Keep the track in operation for a defined period of time and find a new home for a motorsports attraction the will continue to benefit the City and make room for the park.

Regards,

Todd Bridges

Scott,

Thanks for keeping everyone updated. This is a very sad situation for all of us who race at the track and have enjoyed many good times there. I am hoping for a good outcome.

Scott,

Thanks for keeping everyone updated. This is a very sad situation for all of us who race at the track and have enjoyed many good times there. I am hoping for a good outcome.
It's not a problem. I'm doing as much as I can and a lot of people are doing so much more.

It is a sad situation. I can understand a track closing because they aren't making ends meet, but for the city to bully the owners to shut the track down and take so much from local business and race fans is infuriating. I'm still hopeful for the best>

We just received a statement from Mark Epstein:

I am hopeful that the attorneys hired to negotiate this deal on behalf of KCIR will come out with a VERY strong statement in the next day or so.

I can tell you that if you all knew what I know, there would probably be a riot at city hall.

Unfortunately, I have been asked not to disclose any additional information or documents until the owners and their other attorneys have had a chance to "re-chat" with the City Council.

This ain't over. I just wish I could tell you more.

Please, please, please continue to support the track and its owners.

And please don't pm me or text me asking me what documents I have. I am under strict instruction not to disclose ANYTHING until after this issue has been revisited with the council.

Stay positive. Continue to support your local businesses and keep up the good work. I am firmly convinced that the only reason the track even has a chance of remaining open is because of the hard work you all have done and the extensive media coverage this case has received as a result of it.

The people on this forum, along with their racing friends ARE making a difference. And win or lose on this issue, Kansas City is learning that a few well organized, vocal people, even young people on an internet forum, can really have an impact. You guys rock. It's amazing to see how people can really use their internet talents to do something good for their community.

I'm doing all I can. Please continue to do what you can as well.

Thanks, guys.

We are still going strong, Thanks everyone for the support! The petition has reached over 5,000 signatures today.

This Saturday we are having a cruise to KCIR to show our support. Anyone that can show please do. Anyone and any vehicle welcome. It should be fun and for a good cause. The media has been very good to us and will be here once again. I'll be there with my GN and will be video taping this time for my youtube channel.

Rally Cruise to KCIR Saturday (November 12th) @ 10:00am starting at Arrowhead Gate 2 Lot A off Blue Ridge. All vehicles welcome

Thanks again,
Scott

Scott,

Hey Matt,
Good to see you and thanks for showing up. Chanel 9 was there but since we were in the slow line behind the corvettes we missed it.

there were three other turbo buicks not including Matt and I. We had over 100 cars total.

Here is the video from the racing after and a couple pics.
87gn's Channel - YouTube
kcir11122011003-Copy.jpg

kcir11122011048.jpg

kcir11122011035.jpg

kcir11122011032.jpg

kcir11122011024.jpg

kcir11122011013.jpg

kcir11122011007.jpg

SaveKCIR1010.jpg

OK this one was from a few years ago but I like it.
gn1-2.jpg

Scott,

Good to see you there. Hopefully everyones efforts will keep a track going here in the city. Thanks for sharing those pics, black cars on a cloudy day look awesome.

Thanks Shawn for the video, there were some good cars there...Johns GN, Bob's 72 Chevelle that runs low 10's on (I believe a 505 cubic inch) big block - AND off idle launches....the turbo 4 cyl Mustang in the 9's...I see you also got my glory pass at the :15 up against a 9 sec. Viper on boost.