Photo radar at intersections

I would not trust that as I saw on that program on cable I forget what it was called but not even at 100 plus miles per hour in a Lambo can you get away from that.I live in Illinois and come to Arizona frequently and I think that big brother has us by the wallet. That is all that is, is a money maker as they do not care if you are drunk or have millions of dollars worth of drugs in the trunk of your car.:confused: The cops will be out of work soon and cameras will be on every corner.

How about you just dont run a red light and then you dont have to worry. Nevermind the fact that not running red light will save lives. Personally I'm sick to death of the yellow means go faster crowd. You would think common sense would prevail here, but no, The Man got you down....haha. :wink:

Im not advocating running red lights, I got a ticket when I was in the left turn lane and had 2 cars ahead of me, light turned yellow and snap.......couldn't do sh*t.

Im not advocating running red lights, I got a ticket when I was in the left turn lane and had 2 cars ahead of me, light turned yellow and snap.......couldn't do sh*t.

same thing happend to my buddy. its a common problem here in tucson

We have a ton of those around here, not only for red light runners, but for speeding also. I see that spray on a bunch of license plates around here, it causes the paint on the letters/numbers to fade, and then the paint flakes. Cops are giving tickets for that if they can show any flaking off or if the plate has one of those reflective covers over it:mad: All they do is generate profit, if they show statistics of safer intersections, well, statistics can make anything look good. The mayor here who pushed so hard to have them has around 8 tickets from them and he refuses to pay:rolleyes:

I either try to go a different way, or just keep it under the speed limit through the intersection and make sure nobody is tailgating where if I slam on the brakes I won't get rearended.

When I lived in Fayetteville NC they had them for a while, but eventually they took them down. Not sure why.

I ran thru one once and saw the light flash. I never did get a ticket. I later heard from another guy that if you have out of state tags they don't send you a ticket. I had Indiana tags. But I don't think that is why.

My only beef with them is what if someone steals your car and runs a red light, are you still left paying the ticket?

Also on eBay someone was selling the plastic Plexiglas that would not show your tags in case a camera took your picture.

Altering plates is a Felony here.

Bought a couple of those special plate covers from the side and certain angles they obscure half the numbers. Here it's cheaper to get a ticket for a red light($100) if the light turns yellow and you punch it you go thru the intersection faster then the posted speed limit it is $50 more expensive($150). They sent me a ticket with pic of my GN with Speedy Gonzales on the rear of the trunk saying "Tiene BOOST Si' Mucho" Couldn't fight that...

These cameras have slowed down traffic and prevented accidents at these BUSY intersections. They have them at Albuquerque busiest and most dangerous (alot of accidents)crossings/intersections. Alot of times I just avoid those areas like the plague. My son had a city police officer stopp him and told him to remove it and to tell your father they're against the law to own and use. My wife got stopped by Officer Joe by the Book policeman scared my wife had my daughter crying as if they were Fugitives running from the law.. Took her keys out of the ignition took the plate cover off and told her it was a felony to alter your plates. My father-inlaw who is a lawyer had a fellow lawyer represent my wife and they dropped the charges. On the way out of court one of the baliffs said they were having a garage sale that following Saturday with all the plate covers /devices that people ignorantly put these on their cars. To them (the law) You might as well had put someone elses plates on. Brings in alot of revenue. Big Brother is always watching.

Hmm, I see cameras mounted on top of stop lights here in NJ (in the shape of a cylinder)...is that the same type of camera?

Also, how do these speeding ticket cameras work? They have radar built into them? That must suck if your only going over 5 mph and get a ticket!!!:mad:

I bet your flash is too hot for the plate and that it would washout the PIC even if you had not used the spray.

Mythbusters used the real speed camera setup and the spray did not do anything

In my county they have both speed cameras and red light cameras and while I drive a bit fast I DO NOT run red lights and if the intersection is not clear - DO NOT BLOCK IT. That way one will not get caught with a nothing I could do situation.

The big brother aspect of the cameras are Orwellian, and I do not like that at all. But they will not let us punish the idiots that cause problems on the road. Do the cameras send a fine to some J/A driving slow in the left lane?

Do not know why I have been so lucky with NO tickets but at least ya know where the cameras are :)

Red light cameras

Like someone mentioned you make a left turn and you get busted if everyone in front of you does not get rolling fast enough and out here in Arizona (MESA) you watch the time of the left turn signal arrow and you can get MAYBE 2 cars thru. Sit and time those things from a parking lot and they do it on purpose. Now what are you supposed to do if you have a truck or a bus or even a bigger car behind you, do you go thru and get the ticket or stop and get hit and sue the world out of that town and the company that makes the cameras and whoever installed them???? What I would like to know is in the places that it snows how bad is going to get.??????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I live on the State line of IL and WI. IL has the damn toll roads and they use these camera's on the I-Pass lanes. If you have an I-Pass you can drive through at speed. No I pass, pull to the right and pay $1.00 or more toll.,for a passenger car. (more if you have more axles). If you go through the I-Pass without the transponder (that you get from the State and pay a deposit and put credits with your CC) they take a picture and you get a surprise in the mail. The surprise does not come right away. They wait 3 months and send it to you. I went to Chi town in April and got a nice letter and a picture of my plate in July, along with a $20 fine for a $1.00 toll.

They are real nice when you call in to pay as well (not). The reason I went through the I-Pass w/out a transponder was they had construction (yes at night) and I could not get over in time. Midnight, rainy and going 50 MPH with cars in front and back and they still got a clear shot at my plate.:eek:

Friend of mine had an employee get 20 of these since he felt after the first one, nothing came in the mail so he kept not paying tolls or using the I-pass transponder for 2 weeks ( tollway in and out going to and from a job) 3 months later he gets a nice letter from the State of IL. If you have a transponder you can call or go online and use your credits with no fine. He did not own one at the time of the incident so there was a hefty donation that needed to be paid.

They even get you on the "exact change only" ones on the exits.

I love the IL tollway since you have to pay to be stuck in construction and white knuckle two lane driving all summer. :eek:

I stay out of IL as much as I can.
And yes, if you have out of state plates, at least WI, they will find you.

Friend of mine here in Phoenix got ticketed for having that spray stuff on his license plate...cop pulled up behind him but 2 lanes over and from an angle it obscures the plate...you can't read it...I guess the law states the plate has to legible from all angles or something like that...he tried to fight it but lost...as for getting burned waiting on cars to turn left...the law states that only 1 car is allowed in the intersection when waiting to make a left...so if you are the second or third car in the intersection behind the first car you are in the wrong...do cops ever ticket anyone for being the second or third car...nope...but if you get burned by the camera because the first car is a little slow it's your own fault...this is just stuff I learned in Traffic School.:rolleyes:

I dont know about the spray on stuff but the smoked plate covers are Illegal in WI. I am sure if they see the plate altered you will get a "second look" by the police.

Will they just pull you over for this? Possible. I have a buddy that is a State Trooper. He told me that he just does not go out looking for things like this and pull people over just for the sake of writing a ticket, but generally if he indicated that it is a justified reason to pull you over. He said 90% of the time he finds that people are usually hiding somthing else if they are hiding thier plate. Not minor stuff either, they have drugs, or are drunk, or have several warrants and mostly suspended DL's. His point is, dont give him a reason to pull you over. If he pulls a guy/gal over and they are not doing anything else wrong, or finds any thing else wrong, he just gives them a verbal warning and tells them to have a nice day.

Again, that is him. Not sure on his Trooper buddies. Some of these guys are just looking for an excuse to write a ticket for any reason.

Couple of quick things about the subject, and I can specifically speak for the Tucson residents.

There are currently 3 intersections with active red light cameras as of 9/26/08. 22/Wilmot , River/Oracle and Tanque Verde/Kolb. Those intersections monitor speed and can issue tickets for that as well. Any of the other intersections that you see are actually DOT cameras for monitoring traffic flow. The photos are all reviewed by officers and show your position as the light phased red and when you entered the intersection. The ticket will only be issued if the driver's license photo matches the driver. If not, the registered owner will be mailed a request to identify the driver.

The attempts to circumvent the cameras, such as paint or license plate covers, will actually increase your chances of getting a ticket because they stand out like a sore thumb. Trust me, if you spent 10 hours a day looking at plates, you'd easily notice them.

Secondly, making a right turn on a red without coming to a complete stop is more likely to get you a ticket than blowing through a red going straight. Honestly, how many of us would risk our lives or car going through a red... but how many roll though a right turn when we see there is no one coming? The camera and state law in AZ dont make exceptions for "well, there was no one on the road."

Now that damn Photo Radar van is another story :)

In MD the red light camera tickets I have seen show several pics fractions of a second apart. The camera only starts AFTER the light turns red AND a car moves from where the car should be stopped at a red light, into the intersection.

Although the bigger jerk is the one that sits in an intersection when the intersection is not clear (because they are the ones that block intersections) that will not cause the camera to fire because the car is already past the sensors.

The real charm is that the police that have been hit with the speed cameras are refusing to pay the ticket! And I do NOT mean cops responding to calls.

Somebody tell me again about equal justice under the law :rolleyes:

In MD the red light camera tickets I have seen show several pics fractions of a second apart. The camera only starts AFTER the light turns red AND a car moves from where the car should be stopped at a red light, into the intersection.

Although the bigger jerk is the one that sits in an intersection when the intersection is not clear (because they are the ones that block intersections) that will not cause the camera to fire because the car is already past the sensors.

The real charm is that the police that have been hit with the speed cameras are refusing to pay the ticket! And I do NOT mean cops responding to calls.

Somebody tell me again about equal justice under the law :rolleyes:

and YOU know that how?

I clicked reply before taking notice of your location but it sure can't be from my county in MD because you would have seen and read all the news about it.

Any more questions?

There is no question about it - the cops are even attempting to defend their law breaking behavior.

Ticket warning

Last Nov, I got a ticket in the mail saying I blew through a redlight in a city in North Ga approx 4-5 hrs from My house. Ok . I hadnt been through that city in 5 yrs. It said I was in a black f150. I really dislike fords and dont own one anymore. So I call My tag office and see if that plate is registered in my name. Its not. I asked if I could report it stolen and get this cleared up They asked me not to. So on the ticket it says check box for guilty and pay or report stolen if plate is stolen. My situation was neither. I called the 800 number on the list and get an operator in California after being on the line 30 mins with a computer asking me what language , what region, what state etc etc. I am ticked. To top it off the pic of the plate is diff than what the citation says!!!!! Its 1 digit off of my wifes plate. They mistakenly assigned to me. Well, the Californian says you will have to pay or appear in court or your liscence is revoked. I asked her was she reimbursing my wages for losing work to travel to court there. She said no!!! I called the chief of police and got an answering machine like 10 times and he didnt call back. Long story short It took about 4 months to get it corrected.
I am just saying read your mail carefully, bc it looked like junk mail to begin with!!!!!