People with battery tenders, cold storage question

Boston GN

I use a battery tender on my car because I don't drive it much in the warm months. Now that it's winter, I don't drive the car and I store the car (in a car port) outside. Basically my question is, can I keep it plugged in all winter in this cold that we get in New England. I'm basically worrying if the battery tender can take the cold for 4 months or so?? The tender will sit under the hood and not be in contact with moisture and the car is covered (by the car port and by a very expensive car cover).

Any ideas if it can handle the cold?

EDIT: I could easily just take the battery out, but I may be bringing this car to a few different places to get body work and other things done during the cold months, so I don't want to have to keep bringing the battery in and out. Plus I have those fender braces and it makes it a pain in the ass to remove unless I take the brace off all together

If the battery is decent with no internal short issues, starting it in use now and going all winter with it "on" shouldn't be an issue.

I'd double check with the manuf. if there's any manual or info. out there to be sure.

The battery when charging/charged should stay warm enough.

Keep the charger/tender vented some and away from any flammables.

Have left a battery tender Jr. attached to my GN since April, usually leave it on for a month or so at a time, then switch it to charge/maintain a pair of RV batteries, works fine. I have a total of 4 battery tenders, 2 of which are left on 4 wheelers constantly thoughout the year. Last year it did drop to -01F here too.

I use a battery tender on my car because I don't drive it much in the warm months. Now that it's winter, I don't drive the car and I store the car (in a car port) outside. Basically my question is, can I keep it plugged in all winter in this cold that we get in New England. I'm basically worrying if the battery tender can take the cold for 4 months or so?? The tender will sit under the hood and not be in contact with moisture and the car is covered (by the car port and by a very expensive car cover).

Any ideas if it can handle the cold?

EDIT: I could easily just take the battery out, but I may be bringing this car to a few different places to get body work and other things done during the cold months, so I don't want to have to keep bringing the battery in and out. Plus I have those fender braces and it makes it a pain in the ass to remove unless I take the brace off all together

Well I can guarantee it'll get a bit colder where I'm at and so here is my winter storage plan:

1- Battery Minder (supposed to be better then a trickle charger and no need to remove the battery)
2- Car Cover. I went and bought a nice 3-layer breathable cover, I'm sure it will pay for itself.
3- I will probably find an old bedsheet to tuck under the front side of the car just to avoid any possible drifts while I have the garage open.
4- I will have a square of high density styrofoam under each tire. I was going to park on old carpet but realized that moisture can still get through. Just to avoid dry rot.
5- May use my father-in-law's jackstands to take the pressure off of the suspension.
6- Crack the windows open about an inch just to avoid it smelling stuffy in the spring.
7- Fuel stabilizer of course.

And that is about it, I looked at heated storage but I estimate it will cost me around $750-$1000 for the winter which is money better spent on upgrades and fuel in the spring. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!! :smile:

I could be wrong but isn't there a battery tender designed for marine use, like jetskis and the like. If there is, that might be an option. Not sure about the cold temp range though.

I leave my trickle charger hooked up all winter in an unheated garage no problem. My last battery lasted 8 years.

I had a battery tender outside for 2 winters on my monte no problems. I just kept it on the concrete driveway under the [covered] car.

Perfect! Thanks guys.

Sounds like the battery tenders can handle the cold just fine. I'll leave it out there!

I should also add, before using the battery tender, the battery in my vette would need replacing every year (within a week!) since I only drove it once or twice a month. Since I've been using the battery tender whenever I'm not driving it, It has lasted 3 years so far.

i leave batt tender jrs on my sleds in new hampshire year round which are stored in an un-insulated unheated steel building. they can take it, specially if you leave it under the hood/out of the snow.

I have used a battery tender in three cars. Two are garaged and under cover one is covered in the driveway and no problems at all. Outside has been done this way for six years and inside for six and Ten years. The battery tender has a chip in it so it automatically comes on only as needed. Stabil in the tank and I never leave the windows open at all. No need to give rodents any opportunity at the interior. I do keep the glue traps around the garage They even help with crickets and spiders and I stick a couple under the hood to keep mice from moving in in the cold weather. Make sure the cover is properly tied underneath and I put some rope around th bumpers where the cover goes over them to keep them from getting blown off in strong winds. I get my covers from the GSCA.

hello peoples; I take the bat. out and put it in on a tender in the basement. The bat. removal and install is easy enough. Plus it takes that tease away from driving it when maybe you should'nt.
IBBY