pcv grommet?

mike87we4

:confused: What is the easiest way to pop these things into the hole of the intake . Im lost at this point.

Man good luck. It took an act of congress to get mine in, I lubed it up, tried to spin it on then took old long flathead, ground it down to round off the edge then pushed, swore, pried, walked away, pushed some more....

been there

Man good luck. It took an act of congress to get mine in, I lubed it up, tried to spin it on then took old long flathead, ground it down to round off the edge then pushed, swore, pried, walked away, pushed some more....

been there

haha, that sounds familiar! but i had two screw drivers. i got one side of the grommet below the lip and then i held that side down with one screw driver, then i used the other screwdriver to force the other sides down! it sucked:eek:

Try some silicone spray on grommet install be careful slippery and can fall through hole. Than spray on pcv everything will go in easy.

I install this when the intake is off, had to many push right through. This is one of the top PITA things to do.... I had the best luck though heating the groument up in hot water to make it softer then have at it...
Good Luck,

Chuck

Silicone grease, two big, long screw drivers. Start the back side first. Hold the back in place with one screw drive, use the second to force the front side. I just did this last week, 5 min job.

What was harder was getting the PVC into the new gromet. Used a deep socket over the PVC, some more silicone grease, pushed it in, then attached the hose.

Rich

I did a search before I did mine last month, many different suggestions/ideas. The one that worked great for me (after mutilating 3 grommets) was to boil the grommet for about 4-5 min in water, this really softened up the rubber. Then was able to push down on the "back" (drivers' side) of the grommet with my index finger to get it started. Worked it in around the sides with a long blunt screw driver and it poped in. The intake edges were already lubed from previous attemps. The grommet is pretty hot if you do this, wear gloves.

the problem with installation of the PCV valve in the TR is that the correct grommet hasn't been available since the cars were new---------the original production part # was 1254119-----if you have an original car the number is molded right into the part------most of them have been replaced due to the fact that they get hard and crack----------the replacement # from GM is 1381487 (also molded into the part) and it is very different from the original-------the aftermarket ones like are available from autozone and NAPA are copies of the "487"-------the hole is smaller and the underside is not undercut to allow the PCV valve to be inserted easier-------not only is it easier to insert the PCV into the original but the valve is held in place better-----------perhaps someday someone will repop the original----------i don't know when the switch occured but i do know as far back as 93 the original was not available and the substitute was what you got if you ordered the part from GM............RC

kirbans 2 cents worth

see A2000Rich explanation he has reproduced the turbo regal exact pcv grommet it is now sold by gbodyparts.com and our company kirbanpeformance.com

GM nor auto stores have the correct one. It is unique to our cars reason Rich had it produced.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Past owner of many super nice Turbo Regals...

take it to dinner, spend a little money on it........ have a few drinks and it should loosen up enough to let you fit it in.

:rolleyes: A.j.

the problem with installation of the PCV valve in the TR is that the correct grommet hasn't been available since the cars were new---------the original production part # was 1254119-----if you have an original car the number is molded right into the part------most of them have been replaced due to the fact that they get hard and crack----------the replacement # from GM is 1381487 (also molded into the part) and it is very different from the original-------the aftermarket ones like are available from autozone and NAPA are copies of the "487"-------the hole is smaller and the underside is not undercut to allow the PCV valve to be inserted easier-------not only is it easier to insert the PCV into the original but the valve is held in place better-----------perhaps someday someone will repop the original----------i don't know when the switch occured but i do know as far back as 93 the original was not available and the substitute was what you got if you ordered the part from GM............RC

guys i got tired of waiting for someone to repop this thing and didnt' want to go through another round of fighting with the wrong grommet so i did it myself--------for those of you that might want to know what the differences are here are a couple pics-------all the aftermarket and GM replacements since 88 have been like the 487 unit------funny that GM never made the assembly line grommet available--------in this pic you can see how the pcv doesn't really fit and it has so much interference that when it gets hot or soft from oil it can actually cause the pcv to "squeeze" back out-------the original was designed to make it easy to insert the pcv due to non interference on the lower surface while actually holding the pcv very well-----the PCV sort of "snaps" into the 119 grommet------if you actually have an original it will be the 119 type but hard as a brick most likely so now that you can get a correct one there is a good reason to replace it------the 119 also has a larger gap around the sides to accomodate the manifold thickness ---------a few tips for easy insertion--------first use a 119 type grommet(G-Body and Kirban sell them)-------second many of the manifolds have a casting flash that intersects with the pcv hole, you would do well to grind it flush with the manifold surface if yours is that way, it helps the grommet seal better and insert easier as well------most pcv grommets are about 55 shore-A but i made these 60 shore-A (just a tad stiffer) so they would be a little more robust when they get hot which softens all rubber, that said it is a good idea to warm it up before installing it in water or whatever, i usually just put it in my pocket for a few minutes before i am going to install it, use a little lubricant and it should be relatively easy ESPECIALLY if the manifold is off the car----------the pic is a PDF so you can expand it and see the detail and how the wrong grommet interferes with the pcv..............RC

Attachments

• GROMMET Forum.pdf
    77.9 KB · Views: 200
+1 to the casting flash on the outboard side of the manifold.
I see the difference but my PCV valve has been in the aftermarket grommet for 5 years and never "popped" out. If one was to I would first suspect pressurizing the block with a tired grommet.