Passing sound through carpet and plastic?

Sleeper-6

As i was pokeing around yesterday, I was trying to figure out fow GM thought you can get good sound by putting the speakers under carpet and press board in the back and through heavy plastic grateing in the front? Has anyone tried tried cutting a hole above the speakers and building a frame that can be installed flush in the rear deck and covered with some grill cloth that matches the interior? Possibly doing the same in the fornt dash piece since that's a area that they usually crack in anyway? I would think it would allow for much better sound quality and prob still look pretty stealth.

That same question came up when I bought my T back in 96. Today. we have a few more options than before. This is what I'm planning to do and I'll let you know how it turns out. Front: I was planning to use 1" tweeters behind the rear view mirror and 3.5" mids in the dash just to keep in stock and clean. Now, I plan to go with the Q-Logic custom kick panels that can acquire a 1" twtr and 6.5" midbass for better sound and imaging. I still question the kick panel for the ECM. Rear: I was pondering between cutting out the board, keeping the stock cloth, and using a 1'/6.5" template using the stock 6x9 housing with an adapter. This probably the best way to keep is stock looking fromupper rear deck. Or cut the board, use a custom template, and use a thinner fabric for better clarity and imaging. When in doubt, try it....experiment...everyone has their own preference. Let me know what you end up doing. Good luck.

Tee;)

I just recently started thinking about my tunes again. I think I'm going to do some sort of custom kick panels. I'm thinking about filling them with Diamond Audio HEX, or Focal Poly-K's. Not too sure if I want to spend the $$$ for Utopias. Some sort of mid-ranges in the back deck for rear fill, And a 10" or 12" Image Dynamics IDMAX sub in a sealed box. I already have a Kenwood Excelon head unit that I like. I want to power it all with some Memphis amps. We'll see how it all works out eventually.

Low frequency sound waves will propagate through walls, carpet or plastic. Some mid range sounds will propagate through those materials, but, will be somewhat attenuated. High frequency sounds will be greatly attenuated when they encounter walls, carpet or plastic.

The GM engineers know all this....Is the speaker a subwoofer?

Lee Burough
Retired Audiologist

I wouldn't put alot of effort into the rears (I don't even have rears)...any frequencies you want to come from the rear will penetrate the factory board & carpet fine. Put your money and attention to the front speakers.
Typically, the factory rears work great and will out perform most of the aftermarket speakers you'd put there. I wouldn't waste a component set on the rear...just a 5 1/4 mid will work fine if you don't want to keep the 4X10s.

Front speaker arrangements: ...well, in these cars, are quite the challenge.
For a "fun system" (no regard for accuracy) a tweeter in the dash location and a decent 5 1/4 in the stock CSII will do for most as long as they get some decent power (but we aren't most eh?).

I personally installed a 6 1/2 (Diamond Hex) in the door and a Veritas Wave guide (horn) under the dash. It sounds fantastic. (but soon to be changed - ti9s going somewhere).
The Q-logic kicks I think sound OK but they intrude to much for my personal taste.

That's where I'm heading. My original rears were gone when I got the car. There is a set of older Blaupunkt 6x9s in there now. I'll prob leave them. I'll prob do the kicks and leave the dash empty, unless I really don't like the fit when I mock them up.
How critical is aiming the mid driver of a component? I know the tweater is important, but can I twist the mid around a little for packaging?