Passenger header support cracked, help

mikeandjen

Hey guys,

Is it a big deal if the support going from the #2 cylinder to the turbo flange is not attached to the turbo flange? Nothing seems to be bound, however the brace is about a 1/4 of an inch away from the flange (to the outside of it, so the turbo couldn't have possible moved that far or the downpipe wouldn't line up. So I'm thinking the brace sprung or something.

Any help would be great, or if anyone has one for sale.

Thanks
Mike

Brace

I have a old set of atr headers that had the same issue, every time I welded the brace back it cracked somewhere else. I eventuall cut it off completly. Stainless steel expands and contracts tremendiously compared to say steel and that stresses things. I didn't see any problems arise from removing the brace. I have now modified the header to a 4 bolt flange and angled it diffrently to accomodate the turbo I'm running. Before I cut the brace off completely I removed the headers to weld them as they had hair line cracks many places. Last time I had them off no cracks. Make sure you tig the brace if it's welded back, but I wouldn't worry about it.

ATR headers weren't the best engineered headers but they were ok back in the day. If you take them off to have them welded for any leaks make sure they are cleaned inside and out and back gassed with argon before tiging.

Is your cat hangar in tact and doing its job. I have seen were the cat hangar is ripped/torn apart and causing extra weight on the pass side header