Painting Headlight Bevels

grandwazoo

I want to repaint my Headlight bevels, would like them to be TRUE black, not the faded grey they currently are.

What is the best paint to use?

Find an auto parts house will take a paint code then mix the paint and transfer it to areosol cans, I did that with new front and rear bumper fillers and its a perfect match.

HOW

Thats a good thought, but I guess I am more concerned about the type of paint to use on the bevels, because they are plastic trim.

I fear pealing as a problem, so I want something that will bond well to plastic.

While SEM is a good choice, you may not be able to find it. Any Satin black/semi-gloss/semi-flat black quality spray can paint will do a nice job. Just use some red scotchbrite to clean and scuff the surface and paint away.......nice wet coats, out of the sun.

THanks for the respones, I had heard something about a new Krylon that was formulated for use on plastic, but it is probably just a gimmic.

available

:) SEM may be available from an auto paint dealer or a body shop may be able to help. Eastwood Co also sells it. But I agree with John. I have used both. Rust Tough or Rustoleum semi flat are two good alternatives. :D

I recently repainted mine with Krylon no. 1613 semi-flat black after filling some nicks and chips. The paint went on well, leveled nicely, and did not craze the plastic or the original paint and did not cause the filled areas to raise. As long as you remember to lay a few light coats down first, it's a good choice.

Originally posted by grandwazoo
THanks for the respones, I had heard something about a new Krylon that was formulated for use on plastic, but it is probably just a gimmic.
That would be their fusion paint I think. Haven't used it my self but apparently it does a pretty nice job. You could also try using vinyl dye as it tends to absorb into the plastic well, is easy to work with, and gives you more of a plastic looking and feeling finish than what you get with normal spraypaint. Personally I'd probably use the SEM trim paint though.

-Jade