paint job

stvdees

I have a mint 1987 GN that needs paint to be perfect, it;s an 8out of 10 now. What should I expect to pay and what should I be asking for as far as paint coats etc?

I would expect to pay anywhere from $2500 to $4500 for a decent all-over respray. For this price your car should be sanded/stripped, any door dings or small dents repaired and a very good quality base/clear paint job, which is the way to go. On top of that I would insist on all of the glass being pulled out of the car (quarter glass, windshield and rear glass) that will eliminate any tape lines or overspray. An important thing is to ask around to get some ideas from people who drive classic/custom cars as to who did thier work. Most big body shops, only want to do collision work since thats where the money is, and aren't interested in all-over paint jobs or restoration. On top of all this you can probably expect to have your car in the shop for a month or so. BTW I manage a large body shop, and will be happy to answer any other questions you have! :)