Oxygen Sensor located on the Test Pipe

10SECONDVSIX

MORE AIR
I have noticed that on using a Direct Scan or a Scan Master the 02's drop in numbers at WOT with the 02 located in the stock location. Would it be beneficial to re-locate it at the lower part of the Down Pipe or the Test Pipe?
Is a Heated required for this change?

Just a thought..... :confused:

Thanks
Joe

The 02s will drop @ WOT because your EGTs are rising. It's normal and if you are even considering placing a 02 sensor in the downpipe, it should be a wideband sensor.

Your wasting your time using the stock o2 with direct scan, go with a lm-1 wideband or lc-1 and connect the output to the stock comupter narrow band input. This way your o2 numbers on the direct scan will be semi accurate.

I catch your drift Norbs, but I was trying to cut costs for this year as I have spent many $$$ on other stuff. The Wide band will be for next year... :(

Thanks
Joe

The wide band if you want to buy is $199 lc-1 for direct hookup to the factory ecu

Oxygen Sensor

hi i just purchased a lm 1 where should bosch sensor be placed for accurate readings and what are best readings at wot useing razor metanol injection 3.8 turbo thanks

I would put it in the test pipe if you have one, or at the end of the dp , installed toward the tranny at 11 o'clock postion. You can put it close to the turbo but, it may overheat and show an error code under a full pass.

I have my WB sensor installed by my #2 cylinder in the downpipe.. no issues yet.

I run it full time with the FAST.

HTH

sensor

thanks every body RAZOR metanol works flawlessly bob reno coatings

10SECONDVSIX said:
I have noticed that on using a Direct Scan or a Scan Master the 02's drop in numbers at WOT with the 02 located in the stock location. Would it be beneficial to re-locate it at the lower part of the Down Pipe or the Test Pipe?
Is a Heated required for this change?

Just a thought..... :confused:

Thanks
Joe

I think that for the "Relative" O2, your numbers will still "drop" whether you placed the O2 in the stock location or in the Downpipe.

Meaning that if (for example) the O2 numbers at the start of 3rd gear were a certain value and then lower as you went through the traps with the O2 sensor in the stock location, then if you were to put it in the downpipe, the O2 numbers at the start of 3rd, would be a certain value, but then will also be lower through the traps.

Now in absolute terms, some may say that putting the O2 sensor in the downpipe will give you an accurate reading. I cannot comment as I have never tried but I think others have and maybe can.

In theory, I would think that the O2 reading at the stock location vs the downpipe would be close to equal, this is assuming no leaks or problems causing the actual Air/Fuel ratio to skew as it travelled through the turbo exhaust housing. But other factors may account for the variance if there are any, such as mentioned above EGTs, leaks etc...

My opinion is that relative O2 is more important for tuning a car and not so much the absolute values. Meaning that some cars may run best with WOT O2's in the 800's where as other cars may like them in the 760's......most cars fall somewhere in between however.

So for your particular situation, the O2 drop may be caused by not enough fueling, boost creeping away slightly. Look for trends on Direct Scan to indicate where to look.

Most cars have O2's that drop off slightly as the car travels down the last half, especially in 3rd. But a sharp drop indicates something that should be looked at and addressed.