Overheated!

lyonsd

Last week, my car overheated.

I was cruising along, minding my own business, and I looked down and noticed the water temp gauge pegged to the right. :eek:

I click the scanmaster over to CLT and see 286 and rising.

I'm on the highway, south of Memphis, in a construction zone. Nowhere to stop. I slow it down and soon take the next exit, near Olive Branch, MS.

I end up renting a U-Haul and hauling it home, back to GA.

Rings are scorched. Bearings are scorched, but block & heads seem OK. Basically, the motor needs a rebuild.

So I'm going to rebuild it, have it bored 0.030" over, and balanced.

Could I go 0.040" over?

That brings me to pistons. Got any recommendations?

Thanks.

JE is a good piston.

Now back to why it overheated...did you figure out why? Or what caused it? Concern is installing a part back on that cause the hot temps from teh old engine to teh new. Like T stat, H20 Pump, Radiator, bad fan, etc

I had the RamChargers dual fans. One of them didn't work . But I never had a problem when going down the highway.

The radiator has a leak. Although I don't know if it's a cause or an effect.

The fans shouldn't be running on the hwy so that wouldn't be the cause.

Peter

The fans shouldn't be running on the hwy so that wouldn't be the cause.

Peter

Agreed. As I said, it wasn't a problem on the highway.

I see you have radiators. Any discounts for fellow members who have recently had a run of very bad luck? :tongue:

Agreed. As I said, it wasn't a problem on the highway.

I see you have radiators. Any discounts for fellow members who have recently had a run of very bad luck? :tongue:

I feel your pain, I hurt my motor a few years back. Give me a call when you're ready for one and we'll see what we can do.

Peter

Last week, my car overheated.

I was cruising along, minding my own business, and I looked down and noticed the water temp gauge pegged to the right. :eek:

I click the scanmaster over to CLT and see 286 and rising.

I'm on the highway, south of Memphis, in a construction zone. Nowhere to stop. I slow it down and soon take the next exit, near Olive Branch, MS.

I end up renting a U-Haul and hauling it home, back to GA.

Rings are scorched. Bearings are scorched, but block & heads seem OK. Basically, the motor needs a rebuild.

So I'm going to rebuild it, have it bored 0.030" over, and balanced.

Could I go 0.040" over?

That brings me to pistons. Got any recommendations?

Thanks.

I would go with the smallest bore you can get away with,If you can get away with just a hone,i would do that.
These blocks only have so many rebuilds in them, why go right to .040 your not going to feel any performance difference from a couple of cubic inches.

I would go with the smallest bore you can get away with,If you can get away with just a hone,i would do that.
These blocks only have so many rebuilds in them, why go right to .040 your not going to feel any performance difference from a couple of cubic inches.

I was thinking about that. 0.030" over would give me maybe 3 c.i. Wow. And for $1000+. I believe I'm going to reconsider the overbore.

But what about strokers? It'd be a bit more expensive, but I'd get a lot more cubes.

What's the difference between the Syclone motors and the turbo Regal motors? Bore? Stroke? Or both?

But what about strokers? It'd be a bit more expensive, but I'd get a lot more cubes.

What's the difference between the Syclone motors and the turbo Regal motors? Bore? Stroke? Or both?

Stroker parts in the for sale section for $1800 right now but that doesn't include the maching work. Another few $K and it would work.

As far as the Syclone engines, it's a Chevy, not a Buick engine.

I saw that kit for sale.

What type of machining needs to be done? A "few thousand" is a ****load, especially on top of the $1800 for the kit.

I saw that kit for sale.

What type of machining needs to be done? A "few thousand" is a ****load, especially on top of the $1800 for the kit.

Cheapest stroker I've seen sold on the board in the last few years was about $6K for the short block If I remember right. It was built but never installed so he wanted to get rid of it.

It's going to cost me $4.1K to get my motor overhauled. That is, if there's no problem with the heads.

An extra $1800 for the stroker isn't that big of a deal. But what sort of extra machine work is required?

Call Nick at Arizona GN so you have an idea of total cost. This isn't something you want the local machine shop that isn't familiar with the turbo Buick to do.

It's going to cost me $4.1K to get my motor overhauled. That is, if there's no problem with the heads.

An extra $1800 for the stroker isn't that big of a deal. But what sort of extra machine work is required?

What are you getting for $4100.00 ? And who is doing the work?

Bryan

A local auto repair shop is doing the work. The owner also has some drag cars. For $4100 they're going to rebuild my engine. Which includes a trip to the machine shop. Is that too much for a rebuild?

A local auto repair shop is doing the work. The owner also has some drag cars. For $4100 they're going to rebuild my engine. Which includes a trip to the machine shop. Is that too much for a rebuild?

Who's the local shop?
Does the 4100 include pulling and re-install in the car?
Whose machine shop?
A list of what's going into this rebuild being supplied BEFORE hand?
Include a tune and break-in?
All in writing, RIGHT?? [INCLUDING a time frame]

Forged internals? Balanced? New cam? Lifters? Heads done?
What kind of clearances are being used? Does this include them pulling and re installing? Without ALOT of questions being answered, I can't give you an answer. If this shop does no know the turbo Buick engines I would go elsewhere. These are not the same as a small/big block Chevy...

Bryan

Forged internals? Balanced? New cam? Lifters? Heads done?
What kind of clearances are being used? Does this include them pulling and re installing? Without ALOT of questions being answered, I can't give you an answer. If this shop does no know the turbo Buick engines I would go elsewhere. These are not the same as a small/big block Chevy...

Bryan

Gotta agree with Bryan here. If they don't do Buicks specifically or have someone that does don't let them near it.

Well, if you have any recommendations in NE GA, I'm all ears.

Shop is Autoworks in Flowery Branch. Internals will be forged. It includes the car running again. New water pump, too.

Machine shop, I don't know.

I haven't given any money yet to get started.