Out of curiosity - what's my GN worth?

BuickMike

Money pit
Not selling, but after looking at all theses for sale ads it seems like people are practically giving their cars away. Then again, most of the cars I see are built more as drag cars and still have the original interior and paint. That being said, what do you all think the market would bring for my car? See build thread below.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/extreme-budget-gn-build-thread.357048/

Pretty much a frame off resto mod. State Farm didn't even bat an eye when I asked for a $30k agreed value policy. No appraisal needed. When I see all these nice cars going for under $20k I wonder why they have no issue insuring mine for so much? So, throw your .02 in!

Mike,

I have followed your posts all along - so I didn't even go to look at the finished product.
I'll just assume it is a very nice GN.

$12-17/18 - depending upon...
I'd even hazard to say not much more than $15K on any given day.
Since the market value is based upon supply and demand.
There seems to always be a deal, and the demand for toys, and especially the niche of the TR is not all that strong.
Except for us TR addicts.
And once you break $15K and start pushing towards $20K - that's a lick for the average buyer, making a cash purchase of a "toy"
I see guys struggle to get 16, 17..
A little easier at 13, 14, maybe 15
The other thing I notice is younger guys trying to get into the TR world.
Which is good of course, but the young folks don't have as much disposable income as the guys our age did when we were that age.
Our new economy, crappy paying jobs, student debt, Obummer economics etc.

Of course, now, I'm not talking about documented low mileage, all original stuff.
Those go for special money.

There are actually more than a few really nice street GNs and WH1s for sale in the mid-teens.
Not strip cars.
Saw one GN yesterday on here for $13,500
It "looked" awesome
Admittedly, pictures - which can be deceiving I'm sure.
Then you have the "non-black" T cars that sell for obscenely low prices - finished and ready to drive.
Those drag in the first time TR buyers looking for a lower entry point cost.
Leaving a smaller pool of buyers for the more expensive stuff.

I always just round off ( down) at $10K
If I'm calculating my children's death benefit. (i.e. - my will)
6 cars x $10K...

Don't think he is selling..
Just wondering
His first words of his post - "not selling"

have had offers of 12k for my gn and I need paint.

That's 17 then.
However, we didn't address what mods or drivetrain upgrades are installed
That also can make a difference.
Stage motor or trans, suspension, FMIC, bigger turbo - that all adds up

Maybe I should go through and list what's been done. The biggest thing that sets my car apart from the rest is the 250+ hours of paint and body work done by Heath Elmer. This is one of the straightest gn's around. All new nos4gn interior, and now brand new nos weatherstripping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Heath is a beast his website is awesome. I almost bought a White T from him some time ago but i missed out guess it wasn't in the cards for me..

Ask 25K for it and keep driving it and enjoying it. If someone offers over 2ok take it if you really want to sell.

Not looking to sell. Just curious what people think it would go for. After all I've done to this car it would take quite a bit over $25k to pry it out of my hands. I plan to enjoy if for at least 5 years and then hopefully prices will go up.

I agree w pronto. Not taking away from your work and time into it but unfortunately these cars will always be over looked by ppl. Put your car next to a chevelle w half the work and ppl will just go towards it bc its a name over the amount of work that went in. I actually think our cars may never reach what other muscle cars have. Its due to all the car companies making affordable muscle w lots of hp. Our cars were made in an era when hp was unheard of. If the big 3 never started doing hp.wars again I think the trs wouldve reached that high dollar stratosphere. Its a car that would do.well.at auction but I cant see anything over 25. I think us as tr guys will have to.live w the fact we are the red headed step child of muscle cars. Lets revive this thread in 5 yrs and hopefully im wrong..

Psycho,

I think you're spot on, with one thing to think about. 60's/early 70's muscle didn't really reach the stratosphere until the 'boomers had the cash to get drunk at auctions and show their buddies how big their dic...err, wallets were. Then there's the numbers of survivors remaining from that time (4 wheel, manual drum brakes and biasply tires anyone?) It's all emotion and nostalgia.

While I'm only 41, I grew up around old Mopars. We had a few and was around many more in our club. It's funny to me when somebody says "yeah Turbo Buicks are cool, but they were built in the 80's when crap cars were made". They then proceed to get into a 45 year old car that was REALLY built like crap and drives like it (at least if it was a stock resto). Will this car ever pull what a big block E body pulls, uh no. With that said, you can get a nice 60's Mustang, Camaro, Road Runner for very reasonable money and I believe nice TR's will be in that area over the next 5 or so years.

Regards,
John

The value will slowly climb. There are still 1000's to choose from. In 1988, when I got my 62 Chevy with a 409...they were much harder to find. There was no Internet and nobody knew who was looking or who was selling. Hemmings was about the only source of finding nice cars. Auto Trader was just starting to gain speed. In the future...there will be guys buying these cars and searching for the correct parts to make a modded car return to stock.
I never thought I would see the day when a 6 banger 62 Chevy that has had the drivetrain swapped out for a 409 4 speed would fetch $50,000 but they are.
The TR's day is coming. Will it blow the ceiling off...who knows, but they will climb.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Megs dad I agree but I guess I see it as ppl my age arent into.cars. its a thing of the past. Im 32 so ppl my age didnt own them but may know of them. I hope they gain status but kids now adays are either import.crazy or.just not into.cars like that...

Megs dad I agree but I guess I see it as ppl my age arent into.cars. its a thing of the past. Im 32 so ppl my age didnt own them but may know of them. I hope they gain status but kids now adays are either import.crazy or.just not into.cars like that...
You are correct. It will be our kids who want a car like their dad had. That's how I ended up with a Max Wedge car.
Today's boys are not interested in much of anything. They would rather mod a computer or customize a phone.
It's sad.

There's a small percentage of guys who are willing to spend those bucks for a restored car, But the majority of the guys who are ready to spend big bucks prefer a low mile original piece that has never been altered. A low mile original piece will always pull more money than a restored car in auction.

A couple of you guys touched on it.

Like alot of assets, prices rose and fell with the boomers.
It is the biggest economic force in America.
Good and bad.
Now that a lot of them are thinking about white shoes, with no socks, and a small convalescent home in FL, the overall muscle car market has taken a hit - along with that grinding depression / recession we went through, which eviscerated HECOs, and made people think twice about spending vs saving.
And people are generally tapped out anymore.
Wages have been flat for over 20 years.
Crappy replacement jobs.
High levels of debt.
Rising costs of basics.
No financing for such a purchase. And that's how people buy cars nowadays - No down / 60, 72, 96 months or whatever. Stupid crazy.
Nervousness about the economy in general
So, overall, these trends all have their effect to depress prices.
It is - a middle class toy.
And the middle class has taken a pounding - economically speaking.

Now some young guys are still into cars, although like Coach said, not nearly like when we were young.
But think about if for a minute - what are they into?
Ricers, Hondas, Imports, etc etc.
Not that I have a problem with it, it is what it is.
Muscle cars? Not so much.

Like the other poster - I also have always said people will spend 3 times as much on a rat box Chevelle or Mustang - since that's what the in thing is to have.
But I don't think the 50's and 60's stuff is getting the kind of money it used to though.
But of course - I don't pay much attention either.

And truth be told - while most people will stand in awe of a Grand National, some / alot of people will go (maybe privately) "Ewww...it's so...Eighties"
These TR's are a niche of a niche.

But - back to the original topic - I still say - if it were right here and now - Mike - 17K - top of the range.
Tops.
And most of the obsessed TR guys are always fishing for that "deal"
So it would have to be a newbie at 17K.
But think of it this way - if you got 17K - that is what the car sold for new 25 years ago.
That's pretty darned good - for a car. Not counting cost of ownership.
Considering, they are depreciating assets.

$9500 - last year - drove it home from Delaware. Flawless. Wouldn't have known it was a 25 year old car..
5K of mods.
Of course - another TR that got sold on the cheap due to a "woman"; i.e. divorce situation.
So when I say 17K - I lie - since you see how much I would pay.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 123
Wow turbo buicks are cheap where you guys are from here the cheapest one I can find is 18 and the going rate seems to be between 20 and 30 and from what i see there all driver quality