Opinion: TTA vs LS-1

Originally posted by TT/A1233
Yup 12.93 on stock tires with a V-6 in an F-Body and I will roll the eyes at chu. That's right, no street slicks, no scammer slicks, stock exhaust, stock airbox, stock engine and certainly no PHUCKING LAMEASS LAUGHING GAS

Yea, the use of NO2 as a power adder requires lots of skill which garners respect of street "wrenchers"....gawd :rolleyes: Lets see, NOS isn't used in NHRA, IHRA, NASCAR or..... Better yet, what IS it used in besides someone who takes short cuts on a wannabe powerful street engine and in dentist offices?

Now if I made a rocket to strap onto my sled fueled by an alcohol and water combination, with liquid oxygen serving as an oxidizer that enabled the fuel to burn, just as oxygen enables wood to burn then that'd be one helluva power-adder (if you'll notice it's the same concept as the typical NAWZ user).

Something about those rocket cars that I didn't think was very interesting....kinda the same thing with NOS. I must be the only one that thinks HP from a bottle is phony HP.

There's nothing more shameful than boasting about your "super fast hot rod" that must have laughing gas to get good times. Can you say WEEEAAAKK? Without the aftermarket "kill your engine" NOS setup, it's back to a 13 second car.

Now go away. Don't go away mad, just go away!

Are you insane? Do you hear voices or did you just eat a lot of sugar?

Check your stats again Einstein..nitrous is used in IHRA...if you are going to rant like a mad man...at least know your facts.

http://www.promodifieds.com/

I like the 4th gen style, and I liked my 3rd gen also...the thing is they need to do something different, they all look the same you are right, but they are still good looking cars IMO...but like I said even the modded up cars look the same, they even all use the same aftermarket wheels.

Originally posted by 70Firebird/TTA
This is a bit off topic and opinion...but I think the 4rth gen is really unattractive. My L98 IROC is a better looking car by far...maybe that has something to do with GM selling more 3rd gens and failing with the "beautiful" Camaro soap dish with honda lights.

I attend a car show with 14 or more LS-1s lined up and these guys, for their credit, get a hard on for their toys that all look exactly like the one next to it. Talk about bland... Then a Grand National, GTO, or 57 Bel Air drives up and I am jumping ship. :p Of course over half the LS-1 guys can care less what type of wheels rolls into the show... We all know how great their cars are don't we ;)

They are very generic looking....although maybe 15 years from now they won't be so common. I remember when a second generation camaro was common as dirt...you rarely see them anymore....I must be getting old. :(

To respond to the original question, I have seen a BONE STOCK LS1 run in the 12's. Very high 12's like 12.89, but 12's nonetheless. The car was a stripper model (no options) 99 or 98 Z28 with the 6 speed piloted by Evan Smith. I have never heard of a BONE STOCK TTA run in the 12's ever! I am not saying it isn't possible, but I have never heard of one doing it.

BlownZ, First of all, when I say new GM cars suck you assume I am referring only to the motor in the car. I know the LS1 is impressive. But, the over all quality of the GM cars sucks. I owned a 96 Z28 convertible. It was an LT1 but I bought it with 26K miles on it. Within 4K miles I had a major oil leak, break issues, the roof leaked if it was misting outside and many other issues I have thankfully forgot about. It was a complete piece of garbage and I take care of my cars. It wasn't because it was neglected. Somehow I doubt that GM improved the quality of their cars in a couple years when the LS1 came out. Besides, is the LS1 so nice it is worth the price tag that goes along with the car?

There was another comment about the Z06. I agree, the Z06 is a nice car as well but I would rather take that $50K and go buy 3 low mile turbo cars. Probably 2 GN's and a TTA. I think you get much more value out of those 3 cars for $50K than you would for 1 Z06 which is still built with the same GM quality!

New GM Cars Suck

Originally posted by NEARING
Yea new GM's suck, couldn't give me on of them ZO6's:rolleyes:

Yep......and you couldn't give me one of those new Cadillac CTS V cars with the 6 speed manual and 400 Horse LS1 motor...... The stats I've seen show a 4.6 0 to 60 time and who knows what the qtr mile times will be. AND ITS A DAMN 4 DOOR CADILLAC! I can see it now, Caddy performance parts.........

Guess it has been a long time for Caddy since they rock and rolled.

Alan

I am talking overall quality here guys. That is what I mean. Sure you can read an article and it will tell you how fast the car can go or how much HP a car has. It doesn't tell you the car was built with cheap parts and will spend the majority of its life in the shop. I used to work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car and we used to rent cars to Cadillac customers at a local Caddy dealer. We had a fleet of about 15 Caddy's and we couldn't keep them on the lot. Sometimes we didn't have enough to service all the Caddy customers. These people weren't in for oil changes either. Major electrical problems, replacing transmissions, motor work, etc... The list goes on an on. Many of them were repeat customers. My mother-in-law had a Caddy. It was a lease. In the 3 year lease it was in the shop about 6 times. The shortest stint was 1 week. They had the car for up to 2 months on 2 of those occasions. She turned that lease in with 13K miles on it and got a Maxima. Hasn't had one problem yet in over 1 1/2 years.

I have 2 Nissans. No problems at all. All I am saying is there is a serious lack of quality with GM cars. But, if you guys want to buy the $50K GM cars based off what you see in a magazine go ahead.

The thread originator asked "Opinion: TTA vs LS-1". In bone stock form, and driven to their potential, I'd give it to the LS1.

That's my opinion. Agree with it or not. :)

TTA/1233- please explain how nitrous is "phony horsepower" and a turbo isn't? With either one all youre doing is jamming more oxygen into a motor. Nitrous, turbo, supercharger, whatever. Same thing. By your argument your TTA must suck since its not "all motor". You use a turbo and some guys use nitrous. No difference.

Technology has enhanced so much that wasn't available to the GN's era. I personally am glad to see the advancements. As far as horsepower goes, if you have it, it is definately REAL. Doesn't matter how you get it. GN owners are proud of the power per cubic inch they can get, just as are the ricers that build. Thing is though, with squeezing out power, we stress our engines more than the V-8's. Their power comes from much less cost in the long run.
The fact that Cadillac is searching for an expanded market is not a new thing for them. Most here are way to young to know it, but Cadillac has made several trips into racing and had some success at times.
I would take the LS1 mtself mainly due to the fact it is more effecient and gets its power through non boosted aspiration. Meaning much less stress on the block. But we are back to the age old answer to it all, it is all personal choice and we need to respect everyones right to do it their way. Mark :D

Originally posted by turboscott
I am talking overall quality here guys. That is what I mean. Sure you can read an article and it will tell you how fast the car can go or how much HP a car has. It doesn't tell you the car was built with cheap parts and will spend the majority of its life in the shop. I used to work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car and we used to rent cars to Cadillac customers at a local Caddy dealer. We had a fleet of about 15 Caddy's and we couldn't keep them on the lot. Sometimes we didn't have enough to service all the Caddy customers. These people weren't in for oil changes either. Major electrical problems, replacing transmissions, motor work, etc... The list goes on an on. Many of them were repeat customers. My mother-in-law had a Caddy. It was a lease. In the 3 year lease it was in the shop about 6 times. The shortest stint was 1 week. They had the car for up to 2 months on 2 of those occasions. She turned that lease in with 13K miles on it and got a Maxima. Hasn't had one problem yet in over 1 1/2 years.

I have 2 Nissans. No problems at all. All I am saying is there is a serious lack of quality with GM cars. But, if you guys want to buy the $50K GM cars based off what you see in a magazine go ahead.

Quality must be getting better. Buick was number 3 in JD Power's quality list. Caddy was in the top 10. I think at least one other Domestic was there. Granted, overall quality isn't like the imports, but its not as bad as it used to be.

Alan

:( What happened to mr. fake horsepower, he made me laugh outloud at work today, I miss him:(

Awww this thread's no fun now!

I'll agree, I guess on average a TTA is faster than a LS1.
Especially with no cat and some good gas.
And dollar for dollar faster....up to a point.
late 80's Iroc better looking than a SS or Ram air Pontiac.......
Everybody's got thier own opinion.

I guess I've Had good luck with my 2LT1 and 2LS1 cars, never left me walking only normal W&T stuff.

LT1 and LS1's can very a lot in perf from the factory.

My 2002(ls6 intake) 6SPD WS6 ta was a TURD, 103.5 mph with a pro driver(not me), I got rid of it because it was so slow!

My 98(ls1 intake)WS6 a4 Formula with an went 13.28@106.5 when broken in.

The 98 with a 6spd and an 01-02 intake would have been an easy 110mph car. ET? Not that easy to launch on a non prepped track.

Not all ls1'S are created equal.

Is A TTA really 1/2 a second faster dollar for dollar than a GN?

I mean if I could run low 12's for 3 or 4 hundred bucks I'm ditching this T-Type!

As far as quaility issues are concerned, I've had two 4th gen cars, a 96 SS Camaro and now a 02 WS6. The only issues I had with the Camaro was the intake oil leak common on the LT1 motors and a couple EGRs. The opti-spark never crapped out and I never even had to replace the clutch. Got 90,000 miles out of it before I traded it in on the WS6. So far, I have 28,000 miles on the TA and no problems whatsoever. I had more problems with the three 3rd gen cars that I had although they were relatively trouble-free too except for the rattling TTops. I guess sometimes it can be a crapshoot when it comes to build quality but I've had very good luck with GM vehicles.
Currently, I have 186,000 miles on the original motor in my GN. Other than the 200 cam and a double roller chain it is as it left the factory.
I'm sure there are lemons out there. But for every horror story there are probably 50 success stories. At least that's been my experience.