Opinion: TTA vs LS-1

It seems like I see this statement around a lot of boards "The 1989 Turbo Trans Am was the quickest F-body...until the event of the LS-1". I find this statement annoying...because I believe that right off the showroom floor...majority of LS-1s run high 13s...and it's a given that the TTA runs low 13s (even with traction limited gatorbacks). I have driven in my 2 buddies "close to stock" LS-1s-- 98 Auto and a 6 spd 01 SS and both these cars are quick...but they don't pin you in your seat like my Turbo does. There are some factory freak LS-1s from 01-02 years that run low, low 13s but that is the exception...not the rule.

IMO to say the TTA is the quickest UNTIL the advent of the LS-1 is "half assed" at best. It just doesn't seem accurate. It seems that the LS-1 people would be happy to relegate the TTAs dominance over the semi potent 2nd generation of LT-1 (low 14s). Even a stock GN could go up against one of these.

Low 13s for a stock (non WS6, SS) is really dreaming imo.

TTA's did not run "low 13's" off the showroom floor either....more like 13.8 on a good day.......about the same as LS-1's

13.8 if you

1.) dont know how to launch a turbo car
2.) running in 99 degree weather

13.8 really??? that's funny....with a $30 Thrasher chip and 2 gal of Unical 110 in 63 degree temp...I seem to hit 13.21!!!. I am sure the chip doesn't make THAT much of a difference...and the 2 gal of race gas only bring up to the octane rating of 1989 premium gas rating levels...vs the lame 90 octane stuff available in my part of the woods.

IMO saying a TTA is only good for 13.8 (very conservative) is like saying all stock GNs run mid 14s. You and I know that a 14 flat is possible under right conditions. :rolleyes:

1.) Driver knows how to launch
2.) not running in 99 degree weather. Sorry for the redundancy...but some people just don't get it ;)

Originally posted by 70Firebird/TTA
with a $30 Thrasher chip and 2 gal of Unical 110 in 63 degree temp...I seem to hit 13.21!!!. I am sure the chip doesn't make THAT much of a difference...

Yes....it does....

Maybe you should take your two buddies "close to stock" ls-1's and your chipped TTA to the track and see what happens:)

Geoff

TTA's do run low 13's along with the GNX but both these cars have to be launched PERFECT and the air temps have to be cool...otherwise yes they will run mid to high 13's...but they ARE capable of low 13's on a good day...don't let anyone kid you...the TTA is one of the quickest, if not THE quickest trans am ever built from the factory...

I guess you could make a more accurate statement by saying "the average stock TTA is quicker than the average stock LS1" if the "Averages" are large numbers of cars run at different tracks all over the country in different weather. The only real problem with the whole scenerio is that either car can run different numbers in different conditions with different drivers. The TTA is much more succesptible to those variations than an LS1 is though.

It really doesn't matter since nobody's car is stock anymore. I know I claim mine is to all the LS1 guys, but we all know the truth. Run what'cha brung and hope ya brung enuff

I think the problemn is ls1 owners who will argue until the end of time that there cars are better than any other ever made. No matter who wins in a race the ls1 is always the winner for some reason:rolleyes:

hmm rare factory freeks?

i duno about that. i know 2 guys personally that both have fully optioned WS6 trans ams.

one is auto one is stick. BOTH of them ran 12.9 stock.
the auto guy got his 12.9 just nailing it from a standstill

the guy w/ the stick can drive like a mo fo.

yeah LS1's are fast stock, but they dont have a turbo;)

I've gone a 13.2@107mph with a fully optioned stock 02 WS6 and I'm no Evan Smith with a 6sp. That was on a 2.19 60 ft. so I wasn't exactly hooking up like glue either. I think the average run for an LS1 Fbody is probably more in the mid 13 range. LS1s are definitely quick cars and IMO probably more than a match for a stock TTA but all that can change for less than a $100 bucks in mods.

In 99, I test drove and ended up buying a 98 LS1 Z28. It was an auto and bone stock. I took my G-tech along and with my buddy AND the salesman (he was cool...wanted to see what they ran!) in the car it ran a 13.6. So yeah, the LS1's ARE pretty d@mn quick right from the factory. But when the mods come, the TTA is going to respond a whole lot better, dollar for dollar.

race gas and upgraded chip are not factory......I don't care if you are Warren Johnson running in 30* weather, stock TTA's ran high 13's (as did GNX's)

GN's ran mid 14's stock with a very good driver (although Car & Driver managed to get one into the 13's in a road test here in AZ when the temp was about 20*)

how much traction do you think was available with those excellent 215X65 rags the factory supplied?

about the only thing that made TTA's faster (stock) was the better tires

tires alone give the LS1 a giant edge!

and, yes, I GET IT!

I'd like to argue the point of giving the LS1 14 years, all stock, and taken to the track and see who wins! I'm guessing that if you still have one by then it will have a new tranny and rear in it for the fourth time. When you figure in how much money and parts it would take to keep it running. I'd say you could have had a 11.0 TTA by then. Yeah it's a good motor, but down the road it will just be a dimple in the GM lineup and the TTA will shine.

Ryan

I have no doubt the TTA will shine 14 years from now but the "dimple in the GM lineup" will still be quicker stock even if you are reckless enough to break that many drivetrain components.

azgn In the middle of a desert with low humidity...it's no wonder your obsessed with 13.8-13.9s. Let's face the facts...your not in a turbo friendly environment BUT you have to come to the realization that half the country might live in a cooler area....and that some of these Turbo Buick owners might run off better times. For all the TTAs/GNX owners who ran off better times than your estimate-WE ARE ALL TELLING FIBS :)

Since your an authority on ETs...and your accertion about 87 GNs (non GNX) run mid 14s...then that would mean that the 87 TPI Corvette would have it's ass for lunch in the 1/4 mile 8 out of 10 tries...not to mention those pesky Mustang LX 5.0s. So the GN Legacy of being the quickest american car from 0-90 back in 1987 is not true?

***Even Perf Pontiac Magazine who ran the Indy 500 TTA and scored a high 13 claimed that that the car should have been quicker and attributed the lag perf on a malfunctioning wastegate and clogged injector (from sitting in the Indy showroom for 12 years). ALL mag times for GNX and TTAs better than 13.8-13.9 must be "ringers".

you just keep on kidding yourself, i don't care....but I challenge you to find any documentation that STOCK TTA's ran low 13's and STOCK GN's got out of the 14's.....by documentation, I mean a road test review by a reputable car mag

good luck

:cool:

It has always amused me that those who don't go to the track very often are always so damned educated about it.