open dump runs rough now?

sick GN

Had the car started for the first time this year... changed plugs and wires... reset iac and tps cleaned a few things and that was it... started up... ran a little rough at first until it warmed up then it ran fine... revs good and smooth... I decided to open the dump and it started sounding like it's missing... revs slow and choppy... can't figure out what I did by opening the dump... never happened before... any help appreciated

Had the car started for the first time this year... changed plugs and wires... reset iac and tps cleaned a few things and that was it... started up... ran a little rough at first until it warmed up then it ran fine... revs good and smooth... I decided to open the dump and it started sounding like it's missing... revs slow and choppy... can't figure out what I did by opening the dump... never happened before... any help appreciated

I would suspect it's something you changed rather than just opening the exhaust dump. Pull the plugs and inspect. Check your wires or install the old ones. Whenever possible make one change or adjustment at a time. It narrows down the issues if they arise later.

Last edited:
But if I close the dump and restart the car it goes back to running nice and smooth... it def has something to do with the dump... I know the exhaust I have is restrictive... maybe the computer calibrates for that and when I open the dump it throws it that far off??

But if I close the dump and restart the car it goes back to running nice and smooth... it def has something to do with the dump... I know the exhaust I have is restrictive... maybe the computer calibrates for that and when I open the dump it throws it that far off??

Hmm, anything looking out of wack on the scanmaster ? Easy enough to reset the ECM and let it relearn with the dump open. I've run open dump on and off and never notice anything except it being annoyingly loud on the street LOL.

I know my drivers side header is cracked so blm are at 135... my int numbers are supposed to move all the time right? It seems like they move when I rev it slightly... then stay moving for a few frames then kinda stop... iac is at like 80 and tps is at .46... I think cc should be moving not int... I might have that backwards

What should iac be? I can't remember where I saw the page that had the ideal settings for everything... I thought it was on gnttype.org but I couldn't find it

when you open the dump in front a a restrictive exhaust, often times the max boost goes up.

any chance you overboosted the car and hurt something?

I never saw boost over 17 pounds but I guess it could be a possibility... what should I look for?

My car was running horrible with tps and iac numbers off as far as yours are. I would close the dump and fix the minor issues, getting it to run well first.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Isn't tps supposed to be .42-.46? I have an angle adapter for the iac... I'm gonna try taking that off and see if it gets any better

My car is the same way. Used to run fine with the dump open. Once I switched from stock to MAF Translator and Duttneck IC, it runs like garbage with the dump open. When I buy new exhaust I am going to sell my dump. I dont like the sound anyway.

ok... finally got some work done... switched out the leaking drivers side header for a good one... replaced the angle iac I had with a stock style setup... got iac down to 15-20 at idle in park and it goes to 35 in drive... car idles fine but when you rev it, it sounds like one of those 4 cylinder wrx.... its rough.... kinda like its missing... it does gain rpm but it seems real choppy.... I think the dump being open is just making it easier to notice.... new plugs and wires, new crank sensor, new coil pack, and I switched the ign module with a known good one... could this be an internal problem?? I know the heads have 120k on them.... could the springs just be so worn that it causes this??

Can you add some fuel to it?? Open dumo may actually lean it out slightly
Increase the fuel very slightly with a cold motor and the dump open. I'll bet it begins to smooth out. I've run into this before. Also a possible vacuum leak that's throwing your short term counts off especially when cold.

Right, and he if you have no way to adjust the fuel you may want to just add a few pounds on the fuel pressure regulator to compensate

Fueling.....
I just swapped out exhaust to a Dynomax bullet and have the same problem. Car idles great, but stabbing throttle it hesitates where it never did before. When I first got my SD2 chip, I had to adjust Enrichment to compensate for this and it worked great. All it does is add fuel while throttle is moving. So, thats what needs to be done to mine. Your case, depending on what chip you have, adjust fuel accordingly. It is leaned out.

Ok. I just added fuel in cell 2 and 5 because I was already maxed in cell 12 for fuel enrichment. I seen that cell 2 would go lean as soon as I jabbed the throttle on the powerlogger, so I bumped it up moderately.Runs like a top fuel now.

What chip do you have in the car? This is a lean condition for sure.

Ok well I finally figured it out... just for the Hell of it I swapped out another ignition control module and it worked perfectly!!! As soon as it fired it ran nice and smooth... I bumped up pressure to 42 line off... I have a turbo tweak chip but I just ordered a new one since I am switching turbos and a couple other things now... I just wanted to get it running right before changing anything else... how hard is it to switch the valve springs in the car? And what springs should I get? The lt1?