One less GN on the road....my 84 got hit HARD (pics)

Originally posted by equalizer442
ouch that sucks:(

if your not gona be able to repair it wana sell them seats? and maby a few other parts.:confused:
VULTURE!!

Sorry bout the ride man, Not only is that one less GN but one less nice "performance" g-body. take care.

After spending some time at the doctor this morning I have soft tissue damage down most of my back, my neck, my left arm is very sore, and also my legs hurt. I can get around and such..but its painful to lift or move anything quickly. I had a bunch of X-rays taken, and the doctor will review them with me on Wednesday.

As for the car...It is sitting in my driveway with a cover on it...I had a closer look and it appears the frame rail's are slightly bent but there is evidence of cracking all over the car.

I went back today to look at the skid marks, and the back end of my car actually went into the air. I hit her van on the side, and that pitched the back end of my car into the air torwards the left, and the car landed sideways about 10 feet away from the point of impact. It was a hard hit which I do not remember...last thing I saw was a white van...then I saw nothing, but black hood pushed back. After that I bailed out of the car and ran over to her to make sure she was ok...and by then the police were there.

Thank You again for all the kind words and advice.

Keep your chin up Herb!

I know your pretty sore and feel terrible about your car, but we're all pulling for you. Things are gonna work out for ya.

See you at E-Town next weekend!

Good thing you had your seat belt on! I think last time we were out cruising together down in jersey I think you didn't have it on? Glad to see you're okay! My uncle is a very good osteopath and has helped my back/head injuries big time in the past - let me know if you want his number

Originally posted by Rollin
For a couple of you Hyenas out there cut him some slack and show some class. He just lost his pride and joy, theres nothing worse than somebody asking you for your parts while your down.
I agree 100% Geeze guys...at least wait until the body's cold before you dive in with knives!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I too, think that thecar could very well be repairable. Frame "tweaks" and rear damage are understandable considering the ass end was airborne after the initial impact. So long as the frame's not a pretzel, it can be straightened. Aside from some possable stretching where the door meets the A-pillar, the body itself appears intact and relatively undamaged (from the pics and your discription.

If this was a Honda or somthing.....I'd say "let 'er rest in piece" (pieces??? LOL). But Turbo Buicks aren't exactly a Honda, now are they?

Good luck man! Feel better.....and then rebuild your baby!

Steve

Originally posted by Rollin
For a couple of you Hyenas out there cut him some slack and show some class. He just lost his pride and joy, theres nothing worse than somebody asking you for your parts while your down.

**Agrees with Rollin for once** This is neither the time nor the place, please chill on that.

As for your dilemma Herb, having gone through something similar myself; do what is right for you. You may not have much choice on keeping the car as you know it. If the insurance co totals it, its totalled (i.e. salvage title). Unless you go through all kinds of hell to reconcile things, it probably wont happen. You have not seen buerocracy until you get into that kind of crap. Once again, make sure YOU are ok physically first, let the chips fall where they may, and then just do whats right fiscally. Good luck man...Mark

yall are acting like i took a piss on the pope or tryed to rob a grave :rolleyes:

news flash, a gn is JUST a car. now if he had gotten killed in the car and i was asking his widdow for parts at his funeral THAT would be unacceptable but he was unhurt thank god. i dont see nothing wrong with what i asked.

sorry to hear about your loss. if it makes you feel any better, I have an 84 GN with 80,000 miles. It has a new motor and a rebuilt tranny. It is also on the GN Registry. Selling it rather cheap. If interested, e-mail me at srtiburon@yahoo.com

having gone through something similar (not quite that bad though), I can tell you the insurance company -will- want to total out the car, and you'll end up with a salvage title. You can agree with them to keep the car, but they'll cut down the payout a little bit. In my case they gave me $5k vice $7k if they kept it. I don't know if there was $5k of damage to mine, I'm about to find out! :O I was pretty emotional when my car was smashed up... I can only imagine what it's like for you. Best luck man. And NO I don't want any of your parts. If you need any advise on dealing w/ the insurance company or whatever lemme know though.

yall are acting like i took a piss on the pope or tryed to rob a grave :rolleyes:

news flash, a gn is JUST a car. now if he had gotten killed in the car and i was asking his widdow for parts at his funeral THAT would be unacceptable but he was unhurt thank god. i dont see nothing wrong with what i asked.

I know where you're coming from. I'm currently putting a Monte Carlo SS back together and parts are coming in from many different donors. Each donor represents someone's long forgotten "baby". Such is life......cars being canibalised so that others can go on. It's not like parts (such as prestine GN seats) can be purchased new from a dealer anymore!
HOWEVER, he just recently had his accident (he's even still sore from it!). The insurance company still hasn't put in their two cents (and when they do, it'll more than likely be a long, drawn out battle to get 'em to fix it without having to resort to a "salvage title"). The desicion to part-out or not to part-out is not going to be made anytime soon. It's that fact that kinda rubbed some people the wrong way.
But hey.....I'm definately NOT Miss Manners, so you can either agree or tell me to f-off! No problem either way! LOL ;)

The one thing we ALL can agree with though.......no one was hurt!:) (not counting his wallet.....and some fellow board members' feelings LOL.....but all of that'll heal in time!)

Since you just turned 18. I guess we can understand this response. Wiping out a pristine collector car is not the same as loosing your LEGOs or your sprocket broke on your bicycle. Once you get older you will understand this. 99% of the young members here have crossed over into adulthood. It's time to leave the 1% :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SrBenelli
I know where you're coming from. I'm currently putting a Monte Carlo SS back together and parts are coming in from many different donors. Each donor represents someone's long forgotten "baby". Such is life......cars being canibalised so that others can go on. It's not like parts (such as prestine GN seats) can be purchased new from a dealer anymore!
I know what you're talking about here. This summer, I worked at a place right next to a scrap metal yard. All day, trucks would roll in from various junkyards whose cars have been used up and were now ready to "die"....It sucked to watch the trucks with 60s El Caminos, 3rd gen Camaros, and 60s Mustangs roll into the scrap yard full, and then come out empty :(

Herb, I'm glad to see you walked away from that. It seemed to be (from the pics) a very pristine car. But, it did its job. I know its already been said, but cars can be fixed/replaced, and people cant. I sold my tin can of a chrysler for that reason. Keep your head up, and get yourself fixed first. Then worry about everything else.

Scott

A GN isn't just a car, its a hobby, a passion, a part of the family, a way of life, a bank of memories.. and much more. A big part of the BUICK way is having class, learn what it means!

I'm sure if Herb decides to sell the car, he'll let us know, until then, it doesn't matter. I agree: There is a big difference between crashing a 1990 Civic beater and a 1984 GN. Though they are both "cars," for most people a GN turns into a member of the family, pride and joy, a hobby, and for many a way of life. I know how I felt after just a minor fender bender, I can't even imagine going through something like this.

Herb - Glad you're ok, just always remember that it could be MUCH worse. Don't settle with the insurance company until you're satisfied, especially if you're having aches and pains. You may want to consider going to see an attorney if you haven't already.

Good Luck!!!

Age has nothing to do with it, its just state of mind.

My condolences Herb

If you need anything Herb, feel free to ask. I hope this doesn't mean you are turning to the intercooled side. Thank god you are all right, and that noone was seriously hurt. Dont hesitate to contact me for anything you might need. Good Luck.

John

SORRY

WOW, hurts to watch those pictures. I am sorry to hear about your car but happy to hear that you are okay. Thank goodness you were driving a real full sized American car, would have been MUCH worse in a little import. It is obvious that you spent alot of time maintaining your baby and no matter if this one get's fixed or you get another one you will do it again. First and foremost TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and your health.

Ravi

Guys....I really appreciate all the out reach.

I woke up this morning with swollen 'cuts' on my face that are a little split, and my nose kinda black and blue...I suppose these are after effects of the accident...they are being looked into by the doctor.

I have been trying to stay busy..but im in alot of pain.

The insurence adjuster is coming out tommrow, and it sounds as if he wants to make this a fast deal.....I am taking my time...I know what I want for the car, and I plan to get it.

As for a replacement...this was my VERY first car that I got when I was 15...all of my pennies went into this thing..There is nothing that I can replace it with..but I will most likely pick up a 10,000 mile to 20,000 mile 86/87 GN with the $$...but it will never be the same for me.

As for the posts concerning parts..they really don'y bother me. I plan to buy the car back as this car never left me stranded on the side of the road...so I cannot allow it to go sit in a yard somewhere and turn into trash....I would much rather part it out and have the parts go to peoples cars that need all of the mint items in the car....just the thought of someone else tearing things off a car I put so much work into does not sit well with me.

We will see what tommrow has to bring (hopefully not more pain)

I woke up this morning with swollen 'cuts' on my face that are a little split, and my nose kinda black and blue...I suppose these are after effects of the accident...they are being looked into by the doctor.

damn, i had no idea you were hurt that badly, i thaught you just had alittle muscle pains.

as for the car/parts you could look for another turbo buick thats got a good shell if the gns not repairable. i picked up a solid and stright bodied t type with t tops a while back for a steal, i dont know jack about what kind of shape the engine is in and the seats and every thing are shreaded but it would be a good base.

sorry about asking to buy the seats, there just VERRY hard to come by and at the time that i asked the question i would have rather asked about them and hear that your keeping the car then to risk watching more rare parts going to the junk yard, i hope you can understand that.

as for all of the people bashing me for asking that question there were 24 posts with no one saying a word about it until rollin called me a hyena and 88 who miss spelled VULTURE and then all hell breaks loose, way to try and start a flame war guys :rolleyes:

btw rollin, you never awnsered my question in the kills form about what you have agenst younger gn owners. dont deny that you never read it after all it is the forum you moderate and it aint like the kills section is so busy that you over looked it. its not just rollin doing this eather. ive noticed several people who have braught up age in threads, one in this one. i have no use for people like that nor do i give a damn about there opinions on this and other matters.

once again turbo, im sorry to hear about the wreck and about you getting hurt. im also sorry that i had to use this post to get some things off my chest but there are some people around here who need to recheck there additudes twards fellow members and the future of this sport. theres alot of people on here who throw around phrases like "going fast with class" but do they practice what they preach?

some advice

Just some advice Herb:

1) Get yourself a good, REPUTABLE lawyer and let him deal with the insurance company. You can gather the info re: 1984 GN's and their scarcity/desirability/value for him. Kirban may be able to help also.
2) Get 2 medical opinions for EVERYTHING. Monitor any pain in your calf muscles and watch out for excessive bruising.

Best Wishes,

Ravi