One last check before I change the rear main.

Gokou

Ok guys, after parking my car in the driveway for literally 5 minutes tonight, it left a 6" puddle of oil! I'm pretty sure it's the rear main, but before I do the job, let me run the symptoms by you:

Oil streaks on tranny pan
Drips from inspection cover
Starter is soaked
Crossover pipe is soaked after parking

Typical signs? I'm picking up a Fel-Pro 2-piece rear main, and new crossover exhaust donut seals tomorrow. Anything else I'll need?

Not looking forward to this job... I was hoping it could wait until HRParts came out with their poly mounts, then I could do both jobs at once, but there's a carshow in 3 weeks I want to go to and I don't think I'll have the mounts by then, and I'm not driving 65 miles each way to the show with my rear main leaking this much. :(

That sure does sound like it to me. Looks like subframes wait a little longer! Anyway, good luck:cool:

Sounds like it.

Donut gasket for the crossover? Show in 3 weeks, would that be Dayton?

Good luck, not that bad of a job if you don't mind all the time on your back!!

Brent

I haven't taken the car apart yet, but according to the parts computer and diagram at my local dealership, no gaskets on the crossover pipe... probabaly a ball and socket type joint.

I picked up a new fel-pro neoprene pan gasket and fel pro rear main yesterday. I'll probably do the job next weekend. That gives me time to decide if I want to use the side seals and RTV or just straight RTV on the sides of the cap.

I know opinions are like, well you know, everyone has them, but.. the general thought has always been RTV only. Ditch the cap side seals. Never seen anyone use the seals let alone comment on how great they are.

Brent