Old school vs. new school

Ive got some old Kicker contender series truck boxes (10's) with the old school mule kicking logo. They still rock

Also a old Orion 250 SX amp with original box in VG/exc shape...actually thinking of selling.

I mounted it on the free air baffle board with long 4-6" screws through 3/4" square wood blocks for rigidity.

Not pretty but I wanted the controls accessible, and, it's always function over form for me. :D

Driven by the Audio Control line drivers in the glove box.

I think mines the top of the line XEC-1000 model.

The velcro on the front was so I could cover it all up with the trunk mat which worked okay for a while.

12 inch first generation JBL GTI's in that car.

Never a problem with the recessed controls being hit or moved and I had lots of stuff in that trunk over the years.

It's worked well over 10 years and about 100K miles. :cool:

Not a mounting most would like however..... :oops:

The XEC-1000. I really like that piece's flexibility. I used one as a 4 way active crossover in my personal system. That system was clean and loud. It was two pair of 3 way MB Quart separates powered by 2 ADS PH12 amps. That gave each individual speaker its own amp channel actively crossed over (12 channels) + the subs (13th channel) all from one crossover. Nice piece. Thanks for bring back those memories.:)

Anyone still using the Epicenter? Always wanted one, but never bought one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Anyone still using the Epicenter? Always wanted one, but never bought one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Absolutely. That is a really cool and fun piece. No use for it at all in competition but just to enjoy your system with it is a freakin' blast. I've always employed big woofers so the Epicenter's effect was even more pronounced in my systems. For my next system I'm toying with the idea of using 4 18" Cerwin Vega Strokers. Hey if you have them you may as well use them. You best believe there will be an Epicenter wired in there.

Isn't the epicenter most useful for restoring the low end when you are using a headphone jack on an mp3 player? They take the low end out through that jack so you don't destroy your headphones. I could benefit from that, I'm thinking of using an old cassette player with an aux input soldered into the preamp so it looks like I have nothing valuable in the car, like an old clarion unit that happens to control one of these damn slave processors that I have 4 of.

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Isn't the epicenter most useful for restoring the low end when you are using a headphone jack on an mp3 player? They take the low end out through that jack so you don't destroy your headphones. I could benefit from that, I'm thinking of using an old cassette player with an aux input soldered into the preamp so it looks like I have nothing valuable in the car, like an old clarion unit that happens to control one of these damn slave processors that I have 4 of.

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

The Epicenter has been around LOOONG before there was any such thing as MP3 players. According to the manual its for bass restoration but what it actually does is create earth shaking volcanic rumble one full octave below what the original recording had. It blends it in at minimal settings but if you crank it it will flat out shake the crap out of your system with deeper bass than the music originally ever had. It employs a subsonic filter to help save your subs from oblivion but sometimes that doesn't even work. Its best to design your system with one of these things in mind because then you can build your bass end to withstand the added abuse. There are times when it does make sense to use it as advertised and it does work well when used properly. Its also a lot of fun to use with oversized woofers and pressurize your head with too.

This was one of the first Caps back in the day, notice the name? Had this since 89 or 90 now I just keep it in my GN's trunk.
IMG_0408.jpg

have one of those too- from Richard himself
great caps work as described

i did and super thanks....
what i wanted was a spare tire fuel cell for alky(still want)

what i got was a gnx exhaust system from Richard..
I THINK I DID ALRIGHT!

i did and super thanks....
what i wanted was a spare tire fuel cell for alky(still want)

what i got was a gnx exhaust system from Richard..
I THINK I DID ALRIGHT!
SWEET!!! HB Too! Does your Monster Cap still work? I haven't used mine yet its never been used my buddy use to work for Monster. I'll be glad to use it if they don't "EXPIRE?"

ha-ha forgot where i was for a min.

discharge it with a resistor to last-(i forgets the ohm right now)

I love old school stuff. Just check out my audio build thread. Some of that stuff is mid / late 90's but the 1st gen RF Audiophile subs was a great score. I also have a Coustic XM5e, Lanzar Opti Drive 50 plus, Opti Drive 100 Plus, 1st gen JBL GTi 10" (love that thing!), some old MB Quart 5.25's, and a Hifonics VIII Europa.

I miss my old Lanzar Pro Plus 12's, Alpine 7903, JL 12W1's, Hifonics VII Cupid, ADS Power Plate amps, old Orion subs and HCCA amps.

I also wish I had a chance to buy some of the Superman logo OZ audio subs. Those were AWESOME!