Old school vs. new school

I've got a stack of precision power art series and powerclass series amps that I've been hoarding and some audiocontrol stuff from back in the day (late 90s for me). Still have 2 10" and a 15" kicker solo baric from when they still made round subs. I like the solo barics because I like small sealed enclosures. The only drawback imo is they are power hungry little bastards (or big bastard in the case of the 15). I got some clarion head unit stuff from when they had the slave processors that were controlled by the h/u. I'm not proud of them but I got them all dirt ass cheap and cheap is the name of my game. Most of my front soundstage stuff is stuff I pulled out of used car trade ins at work. I also pulled an alpine 7949 and lots of lesser amps/subs over the years, most of which I gave to friends/co workers.

Nothing I have will ever win a professional stereo cometition but I am the king of making a pile of cheap/free crap sound pretty damn good. The devil is in the details. I'm not sure id know what to do if someone turned me loose with a 4 figure audio budget lol.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've got a stack of precision power art series and powerclass series amps that I've been hoarding and some audiocontrol stuff from back in the day (late 90s for me). Still have 2 10" and a 15" kicker solo baric from when they still made round subs. I like the solo barics because I like small sealed enclosures. The only drawback imo is they are power hungry little bastards (or big bastard in the case of the 15). I got some clarion head unit stuff from when they had the slave processors that were controlled by the h/u. I'm not proud of them but I got them all dirt ass cheap and cheap is the name of my game. Most of my front soundstage stuff is stuff I pulled out of used car trade ins at work. I also pulled an alpine 7949 and lots of lesser amps/subs over the years, most of which I gave to friends/co workers.

Nothing I have will ever win a professional stereo cometition but I am the king of making a pile of cheap/free crap sound pretty damn good. The devil is in the details. I'm not sure id know what to do if someone turned me loose with a 4 figure audio budget lol.

Old Kickers. I had 4 OLD Kicker 12s. I'm talking way before the days of Solobarics. They are plain dulled black with KICKER outlined in gold stitch letters on the dust cap. Old. I put a pair of them in my son's system. I built an Iso-loaded ported box for them and it doesn't miss a note. It blew away everything he thought he wanted. Of course I has to rub his face in it by telling him his Dad has forgotten more about building a system than he will ever know. He has no interest in building this stuff.

I have a pair of those old Kicker also. I also have a pair of the Kicker comps after those (2nd pair, first pair someone wanted them more than me). I have a pile of Kicker amps (240 & 360, etc).... old school Fostgate and couple of MTX Roadthunder amps. Pioneer full din eq and surround sound processor I have been wanting to use again. Couple of Sony (cassette) decks I'd let go cheap if anyone interested..... ;)

I have a pair of those old Kicker also. I also have a pair of the Kicker comps after those (2nd pair, first pair someone wanted them more than me). I have a pile of Kicker amps (240 & 360, etc).... old school Fostgate and couple of MTX Roadthunder amps. Pioneer full din eq and surround sound processor I have been wanting to use again. Couple of Sony (cassette) decks I'd let go cheap if anyone interested..... ;)

I used to browse the crutchfield catalog and I wanted one of those full din pioneer eqs in the worst way, but couldn't afford to buy anything new ($250 iirc). My cousin picked up an audiocontrol eqx and a us amps usa 100 cheap at a garage sale and I snatched both of those up in a heartbeat. But it was such a pain in the ass to try to tune that with the eq in the trunk.

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I used to browse the crutchfield catalog and I wanted one of those full din pioneer eqs in the worst way, but couldn't afford to buy anything new ($250 iirc). My cousin picked up an audiocontrol eqx and a us amps usa 100 cheap at a garage sale and I snatched both of those up in a heartbeat. But it was such a pain in the ass to try to tune that with the eq in the trunk.

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app
Funny you mention that.... I kept my eye on that EQ for a long time. I did not actually pull the trigger on it until Crutchfield offred that plan where they broke up the payments in 3-4 payments and charged your card each month until it was paid off..... lol

I was broke back then on college man wages at the time.... :D

Look on the back and post up the model number. I believe most were either an HC or HX but I'm going off of memory and that might not be right. There is an OUTSIDE chance that I may have a set of tweets I can part with. I hate to get your hopes up because I honestly don't know if I still have that spare set I'm thinking of. I'll check my stuff and see. You could also see if there are replacement soft parts that you could rebuild them with.
Thanks for the offer!! But I must have discarded the tweets as I can't find them anywhere, but I still have the woofers and x-overs...Mike
IMAG0546.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
So now I've been looking around tryig to figure out what tweets I had...and the search continues...Mike

Well if we are gonna post pics....here's a bunch of "crap" haphazardly laying about the house (and work). Last pic is the custom kick panel pods that the previous owner had made for my gn (crappy pic)

1382396911460.jpg

1382396961244.jpg

1382396996515.jpg

1382397028532.jpg

1382397051921.jpg

1382397071775.jpg

1382397108733.jpg

" Audio Control processors, A full din Sony XEC-700 eq:cool: "

Got that stuff in the WE4. :cool:

I had a great sounding set of Altec floor standing speakers in my Olds. 1967 wagon. :eek::p

Do you have a pic of how you mounted the full din eq? Want to use mine, but can figure out where to mount it. My Pioneer was my favorite piece of gear hands down

20k stuffed in my 87 LeSabre T-Type then I met Richard Clark's GN at a IASCA event in Dallas. Still the most amazing sound I ever heard in that USD/Speakerworks 86 GN. I often wonder what happened to that GN and where it is today.
ITS STILL AT RICHARDS IN BURLINGTON!
i lived there during that heyday- it was an amazing amazing time.

Yeah if I ever get anywhere near richards place I need to check that car out. Even if I cant hear it I wanna SEE it. Hey maybe in June he can open up for the power tour crowd...

Those damn full din eq's are still expensive on ebay. That sucks, thats why I have to stick with the clarion crap.

Picked these up many moons ago from Crutchfield!

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 167
Thanks for the offer!! But I must have discarded the tweets as I can't find them anywhere, but I still have the woofers and x-overs...Mike

I just checked through my stuff. I don't have the spares that I thought I had. Actually I remember where the pair in question are....I left them installed in the rear speaker locations in the '92 Chevy truck I had along with a set of 4" mids. Boy do I feel like a bone head now. I gutted the system from that truck but didn't get the seperates out of the rear locations.

Old school: a bunch of Linear Power - PA2's, XO2's, XP3's, 5002's, 3002, 452IQ, DPS200's, DPS350's, DPS500's, DPSQ50's, a gen 1 Punch 75 in my Jeep, a Harmon Kardon amp, Sony C90's and C910's, Blues Car Audio 10's, 8's, 6.5's, tweeters, Kicker gold dual stitched 6.5's, tweeters and couple of gen 1 Audio Control EQL's.

New school: a bunch of Linear Power - 2150's, 2250's, Blues Car Audio/LP 10's, 8's, 6.5's, 5.25's, tweeters, Alpine W505/H800 combo, Kenwood 9980

I just checked through my stuff. I don't have the spares that I thought I had. Actually I remember where the pair in question are....I left them installed in the rear speaker locations in the '92 Chevy truck I had along with a set of 4" mids. Boy do I feel like a bone head now. I gutted the system from that truck but didn't get the seperates out of the rear locations.
So what do you guys think would be good for a replacement set? Just looking to make a full set again...Mike