OK, so which is better...Girdle or Billet Mains???

Which is tougher?

• Girdle

Votes: 75 68.8%
  • Billet Mains

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters
Of the serious 109's out there, IMHO, there are a lot higher percentage running girdles.

What are most sub 9.50 cars running?

I think most have a girdled 109.

Not to say caps don't strengthen the bottom end over stock... because they do....I was scared of my block with stock caps with a 45A turbo.... I am not scared of it too much with the caps.... as long as I keep detonation at bay..... otherwise... detonation will kill it... caps ...girdle..steel crank....high dollar pistons and rods.... it doesn't matter.... these aren't going to survive if you rattle it...

IMHO.... leave the caps to low to mid 10 second cars.... wanna run deep into the 9's on a 109... go girdle.. and DON'T DETONATE IT! ... or you will be picking up the pieces off the track...

Dls

Dan does build engines with a girdle, but only when the application is absolutely necessary. He is not going to sell you components you do not need. The guy is very meticulous about everything. The question on whether or not you need a girdle depends on several variables. The stock crank flexes, there for when a better crank is installed, the need for girdle decreases. When billet main caps are installed the need decreases, if the tune up is accurate the need decreases. There are several other things to take into consideration when deciding to plunk down the cash for a girdle and the necessary labor to install it.

Should you decide to have Dan build your engine he is going to be brutally honest with you. I mean to the point that what he says may offend you, but he is not going to sell you stuff you do not need to meet your goals. It will sound as though he is very opinionated when you speak to him. Although it is not an opinion he is giving you, it is fact based upon his previous success in other applications. His reputation should speak for itself. Several people have trusted him to help them make some amazing horsepower numbers. The bottom line is Dan knows exactly what he is doing on every thing he does.

When I bought my components from him for my stroker engine he explained all the necessary work that was going to have to be performed. I enjoy buying my from him because the advice I get from him is worth more than I pay for the parts.

Given the fact that the girdle becomes "part" of and forms a "cage" for the lower assembly I think a girdle is the only way to go. If you just put caps in you are still using only two bolts per caps to hold the crank in. The ultimate would be both caps and a girdle.