OK, I think im going DIY system.....

Roaming around the local surplus store last week, I found some nice flat 2 gal containers meant for holding /transporting waste oil. Only $2. You can probably get same at auto supply stores (but not for $2). Might be worth looking at. I never thought of them when I was building my system. BTW I'm using 5 qt Mobil 1 container.

Originally posted by Razor
I just like my containers that hold flammable liquids to be a little thicker..like a fuel cell ;)

I've seen way too many plastic overflows broken..just go to any junkyard and look around..plus the one in my car is 14 years old..

On another note..JAZ sells small 2 quart and one gallon fuel cells for mini-dragsters..i'm trying to get more info..

If you use a new container..shouldnt have any problems..

Julio,
That was the first piece I found(jr. dragster tank). I think I can get a deal on those tanks because my brother is a go cart racer with a good sponsor.....I will let you know.

The battery is going in the back....already got the box..... If you need one, I think I have a spare.

Hey Mark......Mines down in the spare tire well mounted on a battery tray. I put something flat over it so it's not visible when I open my trunk. Doesn't get in the way when I'm carrying engines and stuff home from the junkyard. :D

Originally posted by Captain Mark
Can you guys show pics of where you mounted the battery in the back?

I dont have a pic but, it is fairly easy to imagine. put your battery in a batt.box, mount it to the floor in the far back pass. side or in the spare tire compartment and wire it up.

I have done this both ways and had to fab an aluminum frame for the spare tire area. Just make sure you use rubber fittings in the holes where the wires run.. makes it look nicer and keeps them from arcing out.

And dont worry about putting some small holes in your car. If you dont like it, weld the holes back up. Simple
:) HTH

DIY

When the radiator overflow is redirected to the washer fluid tank. Do you use the same washer fluid cap and plug the hose into it?
And what should I use to clean the inside of my radiator overflow tank? It's filthy.

On the overflow bottle, I'd forget using the windshield washer bottle. That's a new one on me. Just purchase a universal overflow bottle at Pep Boys and mount it somewhere near your stock overflow. On cleaning your original overflow, lacquer thinner works pretty good or better yet, buy a new one from Kirban. They're only about $15. ;)

Let me visualize this........Are you moving the washer bottle or just running a 4' foot hose from the radiator cap overflow to the washer bottle? Make sense to me. :rolleyes:

I haven't done it. But, I thought Blackbuick87 suggested running the hose from the cap to the washer bottle.

While it makes no sense to me :confused:.........If it makes sense to you to run a hose from one side of the engine compartment to the other for radiator overflow, go for it.

I'm going to use a overflow bottle. I was curious about window washer tank.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
While it makes no sense to me :confused:.........If it makes sense to you to run a hose from one side of the engine compartment to the other for radiator overflow, go for it.

If it makes no sense to you I guess I achieved my goal. John since my battery is still in the stock location there is no place to put another tank. Yes the washer tank is still in its stock location and I just ran a hose to it. Yes just use the stock washer fluid cap and hose, and it will function exactly as the OEM o/f tank does. Run the hose right and most people wont notice, especially with water and RMI 25 in the rad.

I was thinking spare tire area as well. Take the spare out..I never will end up using it..cant touch that part of the car..plus AAA is there for that reason.

Let me know what you find out as far as the tanks and sizes..what kind of box did you end up getting for the battery?

Lastly you need a sealed battery since its going inside the car..one of those Optimas would be cool.

Can always mount the alky tank in the spare tire area and run lines. Only thing may be odor?

Julio

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Why don't you just put your overflow bottle in the trunk for more stealth?

I think your on to something here :eek:

Originally posted by Razor
I was thinking spare tire area as well. Take the spare out..I never will end up using it..cant touch that part of the car..plus AAA is there for that reason.

Let me know what you find out as far as the tanks and sizes..what kind of box did you end up getting for the battery?

Lastly you need a sealed battery since its going inside the car..one of those Optimas would be cool.

Can always mount the alky tank in the spare tire area and run lines. Only thing may be odor?

Julio

Mine is going in the spare tire compartment. I have a couple of boxes from autozone? I think:confused: dunno, I bought them way back. It worked in my Z28...same thing..... ;)

I was never aware of a sealed battery for tech:confused:
As long as it is bolted down and boxed(sealed?)Run what ya brung:D

Alky in the back? Naw, It will be up front where I can spill it:D Still saving for everything...

I will check on the tanks tonight. Jaz is little costly but nice units.

I will let you know what I come up with.

Bo

Originally posted by TT/Ameasap
Mine is going in the spare tire compartment. I have a couple of boxes from autozone? I think:confused: dunno, I bought them way back. It worked in my Z28...same thing..... ;)

I was never aware of a sealed battery for tech:confused:
As long as it is bolted down and boxed(sealed?)Run what ya brung:D

Bo

Bo, the reason for the sealed battery is so the acid doesnt vent.

Also technically for tech..if a battery is used in the rear of the car..it must have a cutoff switch..not a pretty sight on our cars. BMP doesnt tech yet..

Another solution is to mount the tank if front of the radiator..cut a hole on that panel for a lid..would make it easy..lots of room..just need to find a donor panel at the junkyard..and cut that one up.
held in by less than a dozen screws..so..pump could also be mounted beneath tank..

Ya, but I dont think I want to give up air flow to the radiator for daily driving.

If you mount a "sealed" battery in the back, You will have enough room to put a good sized tank in it's place allowing easy access if something was to go wrong and minimize your refills.

If you do this, then you have to worry about where the cut off switch is going if you decide to race at a track that tech's.

I did have a shut off switch in my Z28 under the pull down plate.
They never looked at that in Tech. Anyway different track.

If you want, I will make a bracket for your tire compartment going off of the box I have now. Just lemme know how you want it done. Take that spare out, have a peek and decide what ya want to do.

Still searching for that perfect tank!:mad:

Bo

Bo, thanks for the offer..

My plate is more than full with the projects I have going on. And since I have an alky kit currently..its more on the back burner.

I will give you a tip tho..go to a welding shop and get welding cable. They sell it in 00,000,0000 and its super flexible..best part its cheap..I bought a box of 25 feet some time ago for 25 bucks. And it was 00 guage. Propane torch and some solder..bada bing..

That cable doesnt harden like the red battery cables they sell.

As soon as I get the controller thing going..i'll be more ready. Need to do some more tweaks..

I'll be making a variable speed controller for kits like the one your making..stay in touch. Kinda like the missing link between the DIY and the SMC kit. So you dont have to play with jetting.

back under my rock.. :D