OK Guys...quit playing around...PT61 and be done with it!

Originally posted by d0n_3d
I'm seeing a lot of posts on here on which turbo is the best or what is better compared to what...I can honestly say our PT61 turbo is one of the coolest turbos ever created for our cars...this turbo only requires a 3200 stall and out-performs any of the 50 series turbos and makes almost the same power (650hp) as the 62-64 big shaft turbos (700hp) which are much slower to spool and take a larger stall anyways...PLUS the PT61 only sells for $675 without actuator! It's the most powerful turbo that's out there for that price

let's put it this way...for all you guys who are running BONE STOCK setups with pure bolt ons like my car or if you have a mild heads and cam setup and your car is mostly street driven with occasional track visits...this turbo flat out rules them all...it will carry a mild heads and cam combo into the very high 10's, and carry a bone stock motor (depending on weight of car) into the low 11's

on my full weight GN (3700 lbs with me in it), and a BONE stock untouched motor with just the usual valve springs and timing chain, I've gone 11.57 @ 116 mph with about 25 lbs of boost with a lousy 1.62 60 foot on slicks, torque converter not locking up and slipping the entire run, and running a tad rich until right before I'm crossing the finish...

this turbo with my converter spools up instantly on the street and it will rip the tires all the way up to 60 mph...not much can hang with me on the street unless they have a serious combo! this turbo goes well with either 50 lb injectors or preferably our new 65 lbers (for guys who like to max things out like myself)...it also goes VERY well with either our stock location intercooler or our front-mount

choice is yours...but I'm not sure why you would want anything different unless you want to run serious into the mid 10's or if you want a mild stock appearing turbo
Check out Stangbangers sig. TA61-10.66 ET :eek:

So would you not recommend going with something a little bigger like a gt67 on stock heads/cam? I'm only asking because they are the same price. I plan on going with ported heads and a cam within the next year so I was thinking about going with the gt67 over the 61.

So, what's the difference between a PT61 and a TE61???? Will my actuator off my PT51 fit either???? Looking to upgrade (If I'm making any $ with the new business in the spring) I was thinking I'd get the TE61.....But I thought that the TE61 was more than $675......

there's really no horsepower gain going from a .63 A/R housing to a .85...all that does is it shifts the powerband of the turbo to the upper rpm range...you gain more top end and power up top but you sacrifice spoolup time going with a larger A/R...honestly if the car is track only then yes do the .85 but otherwise always do the .63

Don -

How much power do you guys figure you can stuff through the 0.63 a/r before its better to size up? Similarly, is it better to go to a larger turbine wheel with the 0.63 a/r housing, or just keep a smaller turbine in a larger housing?

I ask as I have been wondering about increasing the turbine flow on my 6152S. This turbo has been rocking hard (I agree this thing is far and away the best bang for the buck out there) , but I have found that I need alot of wastegate actuator tension to keep the flapper from blowing open and boost dropping off when I really crank things up. See the below image for what I am talking about. You can see the boost drop off in the curves as well as on the boost gauge. Boost would go to 30-32 psi, the drop to 26-27 psi.

powercurves.gif

I havent made an actual pressure measurement in the exhaust manifold yet, but when the flapper is hard to keep closed, you know things are getting backed up a bit in there :D

Originally posted by 4sfed4
I havent made an actual pressure measurement in the exhaust manifold yet,

I got off my butt today and actually made this measurement.

At 25 psi boost, there was 45 psi backpressure in the exhaust manifold, or a 1.8:1 ratio. So, thats actually not too bad.

Some past measurements on my car for reference---

T3 55 trim compressor with 0.42 a/r housing paired to standard T3 turbine in 0.48 a/r housing

13 psi boost = 43 psi backpressure

T04E 50 trim compressor with 0.50 a/r housing paired to Stage 3 T3 turbine in 0.63 a/r housing

20 psi boost = 42 psi backpressure

At least I am going in the right direction :D

Originally posted by bogie1
What kind of boost will I be able to run with 50's before I go lean.

Stock block and heads, 3" ATR pipe and 3" ATR Stainless exhaust, gutted cat, Extender and trans+, razor's Alky, PTE S/S Trans w/3000 stall 9X11. Full weight car with all the other normal upgrades.

The quotient missing in the HP calculations dont account for the 7th injector(alky) you run.. And depending on how much alky you spray in.. will determine a lot.

I ran 11.2's with 50's at 80% DC 123 MPH

Let me put it another way.. I still run a meesly walbro307 fuel pump. ;) times in sig.

Note: car has a TE67. But will agree, the 61 is a really nice turbo with a 3200 converter.

email sent

as for the 009's, I don't think there would be a problem running these injectors temporarily (just driving around) but don't and I repeat DON'T run in excess of 15 lbs of boost because you will lean out! 50 lb injectors are the minimum for this turbo and preferably the new 65's that we carry (which is what I run on my car). The 65's are a very good injector and my car is a daily driver and I don't have any problems with them. The car idles like it's stock and I still get decent gas mileage (20-22 mpg) when my foot is not in it.

:confused:

Myself and quite a few others run 009's with a 61 turbo and were not melting pistons.Youre spreading disinformation.I run 25 psi too.Also just like you and Julio,I run a shimmed 307,a pump that most say isnt up to the task.;)

hey it's your motor...you can run 42's all you want...they are only good for just 510 FLYWHEEL horsepower (and that is at 100% duty cycle)...the 61 is capable of 650 flywheel horsepower

I don't think I would be very comfortable running those injectors with that turbo...so actually I don't think it's misinformation...YES you WILL lean out if you turn it up...now this does not apply if you are running a 7th injector setup or alcohol injection because those give you a little bit added fuel...but honestly if you plan on running the car hard...I would strongly suggest the 50's or 65's...why would you want to try and save maybe 100 bucks on injectors when you might end up blowing up the car and costing you 10x that amount or more??? choice is yours!

yes most definitely it would work! would be perfect for your car...you have the stall, you have the fuel system...you are good to go

How about some vendor step up with a winter special? I'm itching to buy a new turbo, but I'm waiting for a deal like Taffy had back in the fall.:cool:

I'm seeing a lot of posts on here on which turbo is the best or what is better compared to what...I can honestly say our PT61 turbo is one of the coolest turbos ever created for our cars...this turbo only requires a 3200 stall and out-performs any of the 50 series turbos and makes almost the same power (650hp) as the 62-64 big shaft turbos (700hp) which are much slower to spool and take a larger stall anyways...PLUS the PT61 only sells for $675 without actuator! It's the most powerful turbo that's out there for that price

let's put it this way...for all you guys who are running BONE STOCK setups with pure bolt ons like my car or if you have a mild heads and cam setup and your car is mostly street driven with occasional track visits...this turbo flat out rules them all...it will carry a mild heads and cam combo into the very high 10's, and carry a bone stock motor (depending on weight of car) into the low 11's

on my full weight GN (3700 lbs with me in it), and a BONE stock untouched motor with just the usual valve springs and timing chain, I've gone 11.57 @ 116 mph with about 25 lbs of boost with a lousy 1.62 60 foot on slicks, torque converter not locking up and slipping the entire run, and running a tad rich until right before I'm crossing the finish...

this turbo with my converter spools up instantly on the street and it will rip the tires all the way up to 60 mph...not much can hang with me on the street unless they have a serious combo! this turbo goes well with either 50 lb injectors or preferably our new 65 lbers (for guys who like to max things out like myself)...it also goes VERY well with either our stock location intercooler or our front-mount

choice is yours...but I'm not sure why you would want anything different unless you want to run serious into the mid 10's or if you want a mild stock appearing turbo

Don,

I'm a little fuzzy on something. I just ordered a GT61 from you guys because I was being told that was "the" turbo to have rightnow. How is my GT61 different in terms of performance than the PT61??? Now I'm thinking I bought the wrong turbo:(

Don will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the PT61 is the same turbo as the GT61. I think its just a difference in nomenclature.

A motion has been made for a winter special. I'll second that. Is there any more discussion? Is there any more discussion? Well commander, there is a motion on the floor that has been seconded, all in favor say I.:D

Originally posted by 4sfed4
Don will have to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the PT61 is the same turbo as the GT61. I think its just a difference in nomenclature.

you are correct sir

pt-61

I'M BUILDING A CAR (HAVE BEEN FOR AWHILE NOW) DECIDED THAT I WAS GOING TO GO WITH THE PT-61 AWHILE BACK. THIS IS MY QUESTION, WITH A BOTTOMEND BUILT TO WITHSTAND 10 SECOND RUNS, PORTED HEADS, INTAKE, PROPER FUELING AND TRACTION HOW FAST COULD THIS TURBO RUN A 3200 LB CAR? ANOTHER WORDS WILL I EVER SEE 10.5 WITH THIS TURBO?

Re: pt-61

Originally posted by benoitthegr8
I'M BUILDING A CAR (HAVE BEEN FOR AWHILE NOW) DECIDED THAT I WAS GOING TO GO WITH THE PT-61 AWHILE BACK. THIS IS MY QUESTION, WITH A BOTTOMEND BUILT TO WITHSTAND 10 SECOND RUNS, PORTED HEADS, INTAKE, PROPER FUELING AND TRACTION HOW FAST COULD THIS TURBO RUN A 3200 LB CAR? ANOTHER WORDS WILL I EVER SEE 10.5 WITH THIS TURBO?

VERY possible...with that light weight of a car and all the motor work done...yes a 61 could put you in the mid 10's but it would take about 25 psi of boost...if you want to do that on low boost like 20 lbs or so then I would do the 67...all depends on how much you are willing to pay

THANKS DON, I WILL BE CALLING YOU SOME TIME IN FEB TO ORDER A HAIR DRYER, ONE W/O A WASTEGATE. I HAVE AN ATR DOWN PIPE WITH AN EXTERNAL WASTEGATE, WHAT SIZE WASTEGATE PORTS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE PT-61. IS A 1" 1/2 WASTEGATE PORT CUSTOM WORK?

THANKS, BENOIT