OK Guys...quit playing around...PT61 and be done with it!

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I'm seeing a lot of posts on here on which turbo is the best or what is better compared to what...I can honestly say our PT61 turbo is one of the coolest turbos ever created for our cars...this turbo only requires a 3200 stall and out-performs any of the 50 series turbos and makes almost the same power (650hp) as the 62-64 big shaft turbos (700hp) which are much slower to spool and take a larger stall anyways...PLUS the PT61 only sells for $675 without actuator! It's the most powerful turbo that's out there for that price

let's put it this way...for all you guys who are running BONE STOCK setups with pure bolt ons like my car or if you have a mild heads and cam setup and your car is mostly street driven with occasional track visits...this turbo flat out rules them all...it will carry a mild heads and cam combo into the very high 10's, and carry a bone stock motor (depending on weight of car) into the low 11's

on my full weight GN (3700 lbs with me in it), and a BONE stock untouched motor with just the usual valve springs and timing chain, I've gone 11.57 @ 116 mph with about 25 lbs of boost with a lousy 1.62 60 foot on slicks, torque converter not locking up and slipping the entire run, and running a tad rich until right before I'm crossing the finish...

this turbo with my converter spools up instantly on the street and it will rip the tires all the way up to 60 mph...not much can hang with me on the street unless they have a serious combo! this turbo goes well with either 50 lb injectors or preferably our new 65 lbers (for guys who like to max things out like myself)...it also goes VERY well with either our stock location intercooler or our front-mount

choice is yours...but I'm not sure why you would want anything different unless you want to run serious into the mid 10's or if you want a mild stock appearing turbo

Hey Don, I must agree, I have a 6131E on my GN w/ only 2700 stall and it spools very well, not as fast as a stocker, but pretty close, can build 12# on the foot brake and ran the times in my sig with it. Also have a 6031E on my TTA that is completely stock, including the convertor and it will spool only 1# less than the stocker would on the foot brake..no track times yet but coming soon.
My question is, do you know how the 6131E from ya'll is different than the PT61?

Don isn't kidding ya with that! I love the PT 61. I was in a jam on money and I had just discovered my stock turbo was passing more fluid than a sickly old woman. The intake, intercooler, intercooler pipes, and vacuum lines were coated with a large ammount of oil so I knew the seals must be shot. Hell even oil was slipping by the throttle body hose and leaking all over the throttle body! So I looked up PTE's site at the time and just picked out the biggest thing I could get for a good price. The PT 61 sounded great on paper and the price you couldn't beat so I ordered it up.

After slapping the car back together I took it out for a test run and the car was pulling like a freight train at 17 - 18# as soon as it spooled up. I hit the track and filled up on some 116, did a few runs at only 20# since I was having trouble getting the boost up. Ended up very happily with a 13.2@107 (Picked up 25 MPH between the 1/8th and 1/4) with a shot trans and thanks to that alot of knock. After I got home I messed around with it for a bit and finally got it sorted out and was able to get it up to 27#. And beleve me I don't even have a converter yet but at around 35 MPH and 3000 RPM it was well on its way to making full boost and the car just tore sideways like an animal! The power is intense. Now I'm dying to get a converter in this thing and really have some fun. :D

Don, I sent you an email about the price before I saw this thread. How much is the turbo w/ actuator?

Also, will 009 injectors be ok to get me by for a while if I had this turbo?

Originally posted by Billdogg
Don, I sent you an email about the price before I saw this thread. How much is the turbo w/ actuator?

Also, will 009 injectors be ok to get me by for a while if I had this turbo?

email sent

as for the 009's, I don't think there would be a problem running these injectors temporarily (just driving around) but don't and I repeat DON'T run in excess of 15 lbs of boost because you will lean out! 50 lb injectors are the minimum for this turbo and preferably the new 65's that we carry (which is what I run on my car). The 65's are a very good injector and my car is a daily driver and I don't have any problems with them. The car idles like it's stock and I still get decent gas mileage (20-22 mpg) when my foot is not in it.

Jeez, just trying to melt my credit card huh? :D

Will the 65's work with the stock computer?

Yes these injectors will work with a stock ECM. You just need to get a good chip matched to your combo. Joe has the program down pat for these Mototron injectors, for Sreet, Alky or Race programs.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
Yes these injectors will work with a stock ECM. You just need to get a good chip matched to your combo. Joe has the program down pat for these Mototron injectors, for Sreet, Alky or Race programs.

So does Bob Bailey, and Eric.

I run the Mototron's too, my own chip, and idle is perfect, just had to do some tweaking on the AE fueling. At 27# boost and O2s in the 780s they run around 67% DC.

Don, any idea how the 31E exhaust wheel differs from what is on the PT61?

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
Don, any idea how the 31E exhaust wheel differs from what is on the PT61?

The 31 exhaust wheel is the same wheel used on the TE-44/TA49. Our 61 uses a larger exhaust wheel which is called 3 different names (T-350, Stage 5, 52 trim). I'm sure the 6131 is a quicker spooling turbo but it won't make as much power as the 6152. Plus I'm not sure if the weight balance is proper with a 6131 but don't quote me on that:) We just build it one way for the Buick guys...and it's a proven performer.

Don,
I saw you mention that 50's are the minimum for the PT61. What kind of boost will I be able to run with 50's before I go lean. (thinking of upgrading my ta-49.
Stock block and heads, 3" ATR pipe and 3" ATR Stainless exhaust, gutted cat, Extender and trans+, razor's Alky, PTE S/S Trans w/3000 stall 9X11. Full weight car with all the other normal upgrades.

see I'm not sure...in theory the 50's are supposed to support a max net horsepower level of 600 but that is at 100% duty cycle and nobody likes running that kind of DC...the 61 with the larger 4" inlet 2.5" outlet compressor cover can support 650 horsepower which would make the 50's a tad lean if you decide to max out the turbo (like 25+ lbs of boost)...i would say you are safe if you keep boost levels under 25 psi on a stock motor...

but I'm always a big fan of going with bigger (i mean you can never have too much fuel capacity) so that's why I went with the 65's...you can't go wrong either way but if you already have the 50's then I would go ahead and keep them...

What's the horsepower capability with the smaller housing? I'm in the market for a new turbo. It's time for some more MPH!

there's really no horsepower gain going from a .63 A/R housing to a .85...all that does is it shifts the powerband of the turbo to the upper rpm range...you gain more top end and power up top but you sacrifice spoolup time going with a larger A/R...honestly if the car is track only then yes do the .85 but otherwise always do the .63

Mine has the TO4s cover, they claim 20hp over the 3" cover...... not sure about that, however I am satisfied with the performance from this turbo.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
The 31 exhaust wheel is the same wheel used on the TE-44/TA49. Our 61 uses a larger exhaust wheel which is called 3 different names (T-350, Stage 5, 52 trim). I'm sure the 6131 is a quicker spooling turbo but it won't make as much power as the 6152. Plus I'm not sure if the weight balance is proper with a 6131 but don't quote me on that:) We just build it one way for the Buick guys...and it's a proven performer.

How well does the P trim version work?

Anybody here running the P trim wheel?