oilpump question?

Heath

Elroyjr
My dads oil pump has an piece that is not on mine. it is a plate in between where the gears and theoil filter goes. there are pins that line up withhis old front cover the new cover hasno holes.

Do the oil pump gears stick out past the cover? If so, you have a high volume pump kit. If the gears are flush in the front cover, you're looking at a wear plate (or booster plate).

DR

the gears do stick out past the cover. So is it ok to drill holes in the cover for the pins?

I dislike the extended gears and plate. I think standard gears and a booster plate are a better alternative.

Sealed Power makes a high volume oil pump kit #224-518V that uses the pins as you described.They recommend wrapping the installed gear with shim stock to insure clearance to the plate before drilling the pin holes.I have purchased this kit but have not installed it.PM me with a fax number and I send you a copy of the instructions.
Harold

I bought this HV pump kit hoping to boost low oil pressure at hot idle (7psi) on 55k car that appears that all else is OK. I'm running 15w40 Delo now ...I guess a straight 30w or 40w oil might help but I think the multiweight oil is much more protection on cold starts.

I bought this HV pump kit hoping to boost low oil pressure at hot idle (7psi) on 55k car that appears that all else is OK. I'm running 15w40 Delo now ...I guess a straight 30w or 40w oil might help but I think the multiweight oil is much more protection on cold starts.

I'm trying to do the same as you, I have 5 pounds of pressure @ warm idle.. I was told tht I could just switch the gear to manipulate pressure @ idle...

The board here seems to think that 8 psi at idle is enough,as long as you get a 10# per 1000 rpm rise , which I do, but I have a bad oil leak at the front seal. I found a NOS alum. front cover so I'm changing every thing in the front when I finally get time to work on it. If a high volume pump causes any another problems , I would appreciate any input.