oil

what is best oil for buick turbo

• what oil

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • whats better

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
I know a few people using it but one of them emailed Shell to see just how much is included in the Rotella brand oil. He got no real answer from the reply from them. Brad Penn seams to be the best choice for zddp oils on 93 pump gas from what I've seen. I use Castrol Syntec with a half a bottle of zddp additive myself.

Just caught this thread....I would stick with regular oil same specs as what is stated on the visor decal under SF back then zddp content was alot higher than current oil. To address that issue add one bottle of zddp plus to each oil change....\

For some reason and it may not happen to every turbo owner that runs synthetic oil it tends to leak more when sitting.
The critical thing is keeping the lifters from wearing.

Many oil companies have now hoped on the band wagon saying they have zddp in their oil which is fine and dandy its the ppm that you as the car owner is concerned with. One bottle of zddplus added to the current available regular oil wil do the trick. Again just my thoughts on the topic.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

We sell the zddplus product as do other Turbo vendors.

Just caught this thread....I would stick with regular oil same specs as what is stated on the visor decal under SF back then zddp content was alot higher than current oil. To address that issue add one bottle of zddp plus to each oil change....\

For some reason and it may not happen to every turbo owner that runs synthetic oil it tends to leak more when sitting.
The critical thing is keeping the lifters from wearing.

Many oil companies have now hoped on the band wagon saying they have zddp in their oil which is fine and dandy its the ppm that you as the car owner is concerned with. One bottle of zddplus added to the current available regular oil wil do the trick. Again just my thoughts on the topic.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

We sell the zddplus product as do other Turbo vendors.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight because mine is a roller motor and, like before,I'll keep my preference to myself.

If y'all don't have a roller motor, listen to Mr Kirban.

Again, oil is oil, it's just a matter of personal preference. Additives, well, that's a subject that will likewise, become a matter of personal preference and experience as folks make decisions regarding their own cars.

The forum search on this subject, much to the OP's chagrin and confusion, is an excellent resource when used properly.

Good luck to everyone.

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight because mine is a roller motor and, like before,I'll keep my preference to myself..............Good luck to everyone.

Roller cam or not, our performance engines are 50 year old technology that we easily double or triple the factory HP and the internal parts need the proper oil and care to provide durability and long life. :)

The tiny roller bearings see lots of load as we also up the valve spring pressure to again at least double or triple what came from the factory, not to mention much more RPM. :eek:

The street guys driving their original GN with synthetic oil and "never have an issue" also have valve spring pressure 1/2 of when new which was less than 90#'s, now 50-60#'s can use any oil as long as it does not get contaminated.

For my customers we want to see a quality oil made for performance like Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, Valvoline VR-1 or comparable to protect our engines that cost as much as the GN!

Remember the oil ad department are not targeting our old cars, but new engines that have different design, material, machine processes and other requirements that our cars have as well as the various ranges of performance and use. Their tech department is also paid to say their oil is the best for you! :p

The question of the "best oil for turbo Buick" is NOT answerable with and one brand or type, but we WILL see the question again in 6 months right on schedule! :D

I was going to say something but thought better of it and find no way to just delete a post. I'm outta here. :D

[quote="The question of the "best oil for turbo Buick" is NOT answerable with and one brand or type, "[/quote]

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Best quote yet about the 'best oil' for our cars..............

Roller cam or not, our performance engines are 50 year old technology that we easily double or triple the factory HP and the internal parts need the proper oil and care to provide durability and long life. :)

The tiny roller bearings see lots of load as we also up the valve spring pressure to again at least double or triple what came from the factory, not to mention much more RPM. :eek:

The street guys driving their original GN with synthetic oil and "never have an issue" also have valve spring pressure 1/2 of when new which was less than 90#'s, now 50-60#'s can use any oil as long as it does not get contaminated.

For my customers we want to see a quality oil made for performance like Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, Valvoline VR-1 or comparable to protect our engines that cost as much as the GN!

Remember the oil ad department are not targeting our old cars, but new engines that have different design, material, machine processes and other requirements that our cars have as well as the various ranges of performance and use. Their tech department is also paid to say their oil is the best for you! :p

The question of the "best oil for turbo Buick" is NOT answerable with and one brand or type, but we WILL see the question again in 6 months right on schedule! :D

Old guy + experience = correct answer:D

Was using 20w50. But going to try 10w40. I always wait until the oil psi comes down once warm before hammering it.

cheapest 10w30 I can find here....but I change it every couple thousand miles or so. I used to run 20w50 but I think it was a little too thick. I like the 15w40.