Oil to use

Wild_Dog

I've always used Mobil One fully synthetic for my oil changes on an 87 GN. I met a guy who has one and said I should use some Zinc additive oil.
Is that something I should add to my Mobil One oil change or would he be talking about a different kind of oil I should use for the GN?

Valvoline Race oil has zinc added in it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Assuming you have a flat-tappet camshaft, a Zinc additive is necessary. If you have a full roller setup, don't worry about it.

I believe it's a factory camshaft, I've never changed it and it does not sound like a cam has been added, although it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a cam.

Bottom line no/ifs way of doing it. If it says SM or SN on the starburts label/rating then you need zddp if you have a flat tappett.

Why would you not worry if running a roller cam set up? Yes it's very important if running a flat tappet cam but it's also needed ANYWHERE there is metal to metal contact. Rocker arm to valve stem, push rods, timing chain and gears, ect. ect. Have you ever had Valvoline racing oil analized?? Well I have and more than once and it still didn't have the levels of zinc and phosphorus it in that Richard Clark recommends you need for good coverage. I do run Valvoline racing oil and like it and it does have good levels of zinc and phosphorus but just not as high as Richard recommends. I still ad a half of bottle of ZDDP to every oil change.

This.

Attachments

• image-3212918535.jpg
    image-3212918535.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 211
I run Brad Penn oil. The zinc helps every wear surface. With a roller, the roller tips and axles are under alot of stress especially with a solid roller with high spring pressure.

I would agree about using zinc with a high-lift solid roller setup. Most of us use a very mild hydraulic roller with roller rockers. Nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Just bought their break in oil today from my builder and he swears by them up and down. He became a dealer just because of the quality. The way he explained it to me is, it might be a dollar or two more then mobile and the others...but its alot cheaper then a new motor

oldsracer said:
Agreed. Just bought their break in oil today from my builder and he swears by them up and down. He became a dealer just because of the quality. The way he explained it to me is, it might be a dollar or two more then mobile and the others...but its alot cheaper then a new motor

Gives me about 5-7 more oil psi as well.

I've been using DELO 400. I often add a quart of the Lucas Additive. The DELO 400 has the highest levels of zinc according to my last reading.

~JM~

I've been using DELO 400. I often add a quart of the Lucas Additive. The DELO 400 has the highest levels of zinc according to my last reading.

~JM~

Highest levels compared to what?? What are the actual numbers?? You might want to check the data.;)

I've been using DELO 400. I often add a quart of the Lucas Additive. The DELO 400 has the highest levels of zinc according to my last reading. ~JM~

Since diesel engines normally operate at 2-3000 RPM, more than doubling that engine speed in a performance build, it may lead to aeration, or foaming, of the oil which is certainly not desired. :)

Also the diesel oil will contain much more detergent than auto oil for cleaning, especially cylinder walls which then negates the additional ZDDP for its anti-wear properties.

We have used Rotella and Delo for break-in situations, but do not feel comfortable using it in a performance situation.

Synthetic oil used in our engines is a complete waste of $$$ as the oil should be changed every 2-3000 miles in a boosted application, and no one has been able to present any facts to show what superior qualities, or ANY advantage for using synthetic oil in our engines? o_O

Its tough to beat spending $10 for zddplus that brings the ppm levels back to 1,800 ppm using any of the current SM oils you use. 1,800 ppm is what was in our cars when they were new. ZDDP levels was at its highest point when our cars were made. After that each update on the star burst pulled alittle more and more zddp out of the oils. (Not much different than what the government etc has done to octane levels in fuel.) Lots of new oils brag about having zinc which is short for the long chemical term zddp but most only have about 1,500 which may or may not be adequate.

Same stuff that several cam companies carry from us, and many mail order companies carry and as many of you realize is produced by Richard Clark who is very well knowledgeable about these cars. The fact it is produced by a company that has by far the largest turbo collection is pretty good proof its needed and he has made it simple for buyers to use.

Again plenty of solutions exist today....adding our 4 ounce is by far the easiest and simplest no need to seek out any special brand of oil.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Yes I would add it to any roller system.....