Oil smells like fuel...

rob86gn

I just started driving my car again recently after it being down for several months. I put new synthetic oil in it 300 miles ago and it is already starting to darken and smell like fuel. Is this common in turbo cars for the oil to smell like fuel from all the cylinder pressure & blowby?

rob86gn said:
I just started driving my car again recently after it being down for several months. I put new synthetic oil in it 300 miles ago and it is already starting to darken and smell like fuel. Is this common in turbo cars for the oil to smell like fuel from all the cylinder pressure & blowby?
Are your BLMs Within Normal Limits? Sometimes high BLMs (look for vacuum leaks) indicate ECM is adding enough fuel to wash past the rings into the oil. :smile:

I had this same problem and couldn't figure it out. I had all my numbers in order and the car made a lot of power. Only bolt-ons too. Next thing I knew I was doing a rebuild. ??

Fuel pressure could be a tad lower, it's at 45 hot. I'll bring it down to 40. Injectors are only a year old but I suppose I can have them checked out. I used to have a big block camaro with a 13:1 motor that did the same thing. I would change the oil after every race, that is why I thought it might be the cylinder pressure pushing the fuel past the rings. I am getting a wideband sensor and hoping to get the a/f ratio nailed down with that.