Oil pump priming...how long does it take?

turbotex

Car has been sitting for a couple years. Before trying to start the engine, I've changed the oil and am now priming the oil pump through the cam sensor hole with a priming tool. So far I've run the drill clockwise at about 1000 rpm for several minutes. No oil can be seen moving around in the valve train compartment looking through the oil filler hole. How long does it take to get oil to the valve train? Could the oil tubes have clogged up just by sitting, or am I just impatient?

Whenever I've done this, the drill motor runs full speed for 1 or 2 seconds, then you can feel the pump "grab oil" and the drill speed will bog down and try to twist out of your hands. Having an oil pressure gauge means I've never had to rely on "looking to see if oil is moving around".

Added afterthought -> make sure you're engaging the tangs on the pump drive shaft! I ended up (once) chewing up the shaft and spreading lots of little metal particles inside the front cover because the primer tool wasn't fully seated in the pump shaft!

HTH,

Take the line off of the turbo and use that to test.

Put a large baggie on the end of it, clear of course and it should flow decently out of the tube.

Heads took a while to get oil too on my cars and that's with the motor running. :eek:

It could take some time to get oil thru the push rods and into the rocker arms. Mine took at least 1/2 hr to get oil into rocker arms, I also rotated engine periodically while priming. I didn't stop priming until I knew all passages were clear and passing oil. Keep on priming!

paul

It's unlikely you will get oil to the valve cover/rockers simply by priming, as the lifters are what pump oil up the push rods.
Also, did you fill the new filter with oil before installing? I always filled the cooler line with oil too, then turned the pump backwards rather slowly a little, than switch back to forward and prime away.
As mentioned, if during priming you feel the pump "load up" , than you are done, basically. It should be noticable.

I just rebuilt my engine and it took less than a minute to see oil comming out of the push rods. I don't know if it was that because everythimg is tight but I would think that you should have oil out of the pushrods in a couple of minutes. I believe if it took 1/2 an hour I would be looking a modifications to my oiling system.