Oil leak...synthetic vs. dino oil

stickybones

What?
I recently changed my oil and went to synthetic after my engine rebuild. The first 4500 miles or so on the rebuilt was with Pennzoil dino oil. The bottom of my motor was essentially bone dry the entire time with no oil leaks. Just looked under the car before and there's wet spots everywhere now with only a few hundred miles of synthetic. BTW, the synthetic oil I'm using is Royal Purple.

Anyone else ever notice that their motor leaks when using synthetic motor oil but doesn't when using good old fashioned dino oil?

Oil leaks piss me off!:mad:

Ah,the dreaded oil leak demon.
Most dino oils leave a varnish on parts including seal surfaces.
Synthetic has a detergency effect that will remove the varnish.
When your engine was rebuilt,was there any sign of grooving or wear on the seal surfaces of the crankshaft?
Polishing the surface doesn't always help in fixing the problem as the groove can be too deep for repair.
The other problem is that the seal may have been ever so slightly damaged on install and now it's showing it's ugly head with the more flowable oil.

I am in the process of trying to reduce or eliminate oil leaks. I have installed exhaust scavenging tube in the exhaust to the valve covers. This pretty much did the trick on my Typhoon. I also installed a catch can and check valves to prevent the pcv system from pressurizing the case.

Next the oil question. I have been running full synthetic for years. Has anyone here actually experienced and confirmed going back to dino oil will reduce oil leaks? Not just rumor and hearsay.

My 92 k 1500 is a great example of no oil leaks when running 10-30 castrol.

Damn leak from the front crank/timing cover show up when i use the mobil 1 syn in a matter of days

Have flipped flopped the syn to conventional since 2000 and its the same every time.

These days the truck might see 100 miles a year and lives mostly in my backyard. ( has syn in it now)

This thread is a perfect example of why this Forum is so important . Try to find a Facebook post from 20years ago about an issue you're having .
Also this is one of the oldest thread revivals I've seen @ 22 yrs 10 months !! LOL⌛
No leaks here on synthetic .

My 92 k 1500 is a great example of no oil leaks when running 10-30 castrol.

Damn leak from the front crank/timing cover show up when i use the mobil 1 syn in a matter of days

Have flipped flopped the syn to conventional since 2000 and its the same every time.

These days the truck might see 100 miles a year and lives mostly in my backyard. ( has syn in it now)

My 3k new engine runs Mobil 1.

No leaks, no problems.

Last engine ran Royal Purple exlusively. No leaks. No problems.

I went to Mobil 1 with this new engine purely because the builder somehow lost his faith in Royal Purple. I don't know why, I just followed his lead.

I haven't been disappointed yet.