Oil filter question

Why anyone would use a 5W oil in an engine built and designed over 50 years ago when 30w was the recommended type is beyond my thinking? :confused:

Well if you live in a cold climate. The 89 Trans Am (with gn motor) actually has a tag on the hood that shows temp range and when to use 5w-30.

The benefit I have experienced is for the price of one synthetic oil change, you can do 2 with regular oil.

You are not going to "wear out" your engine oil, but boost helps it quickly to be contaminated so oil should be changed at 2K miles or so.

Long term affects are that synthetic oil will drain away from bearings and cylinder walls in a couple days, regular oil never does.

Why anyone would use a 5W oil in an engine built and designed over 50 years ago when 30w was the recommended type is beyond my thinking? :confused:

There was a snafu with my first reply to this, here goes another try. Multi-grade oil is basically for cars where there are major ambient temp changes.

Multigrade oil like 5w-30 behaves like two different oils. The w stands for winter. Meaning it flows like 5 weight oil when cold. As it warms up it then acts as 30 weight. Straight 30 wt is disgusting on a 0 degree day.