oil additives? i'm not convinced.

I just rebuilt my Max Wedge engine in my 64 Dodge. After 15 years of disregard for its health ( I mean it was raced and beatin' like a red-headed step child), when we tore it down, there was absolutely no visible sign of wear on the .550 lift solid lifter cam. The crank and rods were shot. Oil pressure had fallen from 65-70 psi to about 15-20. I bet this engine had over 40k on it and alot of it was spent north of 5k rpm's. My father always run Wolfshead oil and a can of STP oil treatment. He always added another can halfway thru the oil change. Now this engine got the oil changed every 1500 miles or so easy. It holds 8.5 qts with the filter and cooler.
Now that it is rebuilt to the same specs as before, the only thing we changed was adding 2 bottles of ZDDP. We put about 500-600 miles on it at the end of last summer. I will keep an eye on the performance of it this spring as it will see the track as soon as the snow melts.

I run Wolfshead 10-40 in my GN and ZDDP. My engine has 22k on it. I just bought 35 bottles of ZDDP for me and a few friends, and not all of them are Buicks, but they are older,flat tappet cam engines.

:biggrin: