Odd Question

$leeper

Why do you never see a standard transmission behind a 3.8 turbo?

I am aware it was not a stock option in the buick t type and GN's.
Is there a mechanical or design reason the motor doesn't work well with a clutch and shifter?

Just curious, I have worked on/ driven a hand full of buick 3.8's and have to own one. Just trying to decide what to build.

1. It will slow the car down - not a high revving engine so even a BOV won't help much.
2. With all of the 200's being "built up" these days they have proven to be the best option - some will say the 400 is to. Maintaining full boost throughout the transmission range (auto) really pushes these cars through the traps. From a dig, the second the other guy shifts into second it's usually a loss against a TR.

A constant 300+ ft/lbs of torque is always better than intermittent.

Just my opinion

The automatic and the turbocharger are a perfect match. A manual trans could be used but once the car has really big balls you will need a lot of pressure to keep the clutch alive. This will in turn wipe out the thrust main at a certain point because it was not designed to take the high loading of a high pressure clutch assembly.

The automatic and the turbocharger are a perfect match. A manual trans could be used but once the car has really big balls you will need a lot of pressure to keep the clutch alive. This will in turn wipe out the thrust main at a certain point because it was not designed to take the high loading of a high pressure clutch assembly.

Thanks makes sense