Nozzle Size & Accumulator ????

The difference I was refering to was the atomizing. The NOS nozzle didn't atomize nearly as well as the McMaster Carr nozzle. The NOS nozzle sprayed a flat fan shape while the M10 sprayed a fine mist in a cone.

That was the BIG difference for me Red. Now as far as going tens... I wouldn't know anything about that.

Here is what I say about this whole topic. Use what works for you. This board has ALOT of opinions and when you ask questions, you get everyone's opinion. I use McMaster-Carr because in my test, they atomized better. However, Red has the NOS nozzle and they work fine for him. If you want to use the NOS nozzle, go for it. If you have any problems, talk to Red and see if he can help. If you want to use the M10, go for it. There are plenty of people on here that use them.

You don't need to be running 10's or 11's or 12's to appreciate the benefits we've been talking about.

I don't quite understand what the "extra paraphernalia" Red T is eluding to. The system I employ is just the basics we all use, IE, unless Red has something different, I *assume we all need a pump, Hobbs, solenoid, nozzles, holding tank, and hose for plumbing?

Here is what I've gained over a few years of flogging a DIY system before there was a TB.com board and most of you guys probably didn't even knew the terminolgy:
>pump pressure from 70 to 200. No noticable difference in performance.
>50-50 water/alcohol mix to pure methanol. No huge difference except pure meth more 'forgiving' of tune and slightly 'snappier'.
>nozzle atomization from poor to excellent. Big difference.

So, I agree with Red, Crazi, et all, that what works 4 U is what counts. I also agree everyone has valid opinions based upon their experience. And yes I'm sorry I get a little exasperated when people throw shots at me with a "my system is all there is" mentality.

It must be down, worked a couple days ago. I doubt they are out of business.

Anyone have a pic of the modified McMaster M10 nozzle?

paul

Didn't I send you one a while back when we were talking about Hobbs switches?

Yes you did R-R, sorry. I just had to look harder.
So the before/after pic, is that the McMaster m10 nozzle? You machined off the hex and cut threads all the way up? Are those lock nuts used to hold it in place, one on either side of pipe?

paul

Yes that's a McCarr M10. The two jam nuts are "jammed" together so you can screw it in or out of connecting fitting on one end and intake pipe on the other. Since its threaded with tapered pipe threads starting small on either end, I thought the best way to be able to hold it with a wrench would be to use two thin nuts locked together.

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
We all need to get John's DIY kit so we can elliminate this forum and end all this useless discussion. :)

We should all drive the same car. (Volkswagon Beetle)

In a perfect world we would all be named John, work the same job, and receive the same pay.

We would all be as good looking, and as smart as John, but not better looking, or smarter.

We would all live in the same style and color house house.

We would all be married to the same woman (Mary) and would all have the same number, and sex children.

We would all think the same way, there would be no need for religion, art or music since we would be too busy worshiping our DIY alchy kits (in the volkswagon).

We would argue constantly, even though nobody had an original thoughts (not allowed).

Whatever workes well, would never be improved upon.

Hookers would still call us 'Johns'.

Somebody would need to fix the limerick of 'Jack sprat could eat no fat' to 'John John could eat no. Jack and the beanstalk would disappear...

Farmers would grow 'John', instead of Timothy.

We could still sit on the 'John', I suppose that could be OK.

Might as well change the American Flag while we are at it. Instead of stars, there could be 50 little white toilets in the corner. The stripes would be strips of toilete paper....

John would also be president. Which John, wouldn't make any difference.

:p

EVEN IF I WAS SOMEBODY ELSE, THIS POST WOULD BE STUPID AND BORING. GET A NEW PROFESSION!

Thanks R-R for the input. At least I am getting the info I need(since I started the post) even though some don't think it is interesting!

paul

I don't care I liked it, and It's all about me!

You didn't think it was all about you, and your 'tired old hearing about it' Diy alchy kit did you?

I entertained myself that's all that mattered! :) :)

Originally posted by PaulRV6
Thanks R-R for the input. At least I am getting the info I need(since I started the post) even though some don't think it is interesting!

paul

Let me explain this to you. You started the "THREAD". My post didn't have anything to do with your "THREAD". My comments were directed at the author of the "post" that I quoted. SEE? ;)

PaulRV6 hang inthere, you will get some answers. My only experience has been with the Aquamist nozzles. You need an adapter to change to them from the SMC kit.

It seems the nozzles don't make that much difference until 24ish psi as far as I have gathered.

Running several smaller nozzles, higher timing, and 2 stage system will help performance, so that is a possible upgrade you might consider...
:cool:

I know I will get answers, this board has always been helpful in the past and still is. I did not mean any dis-respect to anyone, I value everyones responses. Thanks again.

paul

Originally posted by Crazi
I would go with a McMaster-Carr nozzle. Get a M10 and drill the hole and JB Weld it into the up pipe. It will atomize SOOO much better then the NOS nozzle. I started with the NOS nozzle and then went with the M10. Big difference...

I see some are using M15 nozzles. Can I get away with using the larger nozzle on a basically stock engine with minor mods, or is more (in this case) self defeating? Are you saying that the McMaster-Carr nozzle replaces the fan spray body and NOS jet? How do you keep the system from drawing fluid when it is not needed (at a specification below the pressure setpoint)?

Originally posted by gofstbuick
I see some are using M15 nozzles. Can I get away with using the larger nozzle on a basically stock engine with minor mods, or is more (in this case) self defeating? Are you saying that the McMaster-Carr nozzle replaces the fan spray body and NOS jet? How do you keep the system from drawing fluid when it is not needed (at a specification below the pressure setpoint)?

Just my opinion, but from my experience using the NOS jet and fan spray body, there is no need to change over to different nozzles unless your looking for something to do. The "big difference" about the different spray pattern is that it makes no difference in performance unless maybe you're planning to run 10s. I really can't say because I only run mid-12s with street tires. I routinely run 24#s of boost with no KR with a .032 nos jet. I'm not familiar with the specific installation of these other nozzles, but from things I've heard, they are much more difficult to install. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that they are attached from inside the up-pipe. My hands don't fit up there. :eek: Ask Turbo-Tim though, because he can get his head up there pretty good. :D

I'm still wondering how you keep the system from drawing fluid when the system is not activated. Is that what the check valve is used for?

John,
being cheap:D , the only reason I was going to use the mist nozzle was to save money. Especially if I could achieve the same results for less money. I have a somewhat different agenda.

No flames... I just respectfully disagree with the misconception there is "no difference in nozzles unless running 10's".
Hogwash. I don't know where this came from.
Better performance can be realized by anyone: 13, 12, 11, etc., second cars.
See, misting nozzles are just like anything else in the world. Like, there are cars, and then there are CARS! Know what I mean?. They all get you from point A to point B, right? You know where I'm going with this.
It might be hard to figure out nozzle differences if you haven't tried it, but, believe me, there is good scientific data to back this up. As well as my own experience. But lets not get too technical here.
Also, the nozzles I believe we're talkin' bout all have screw threads and thus need only be tapped. Don't need no gumby-arms to do it from inside the up-pipe.
OTOH, I completely and totally realize the value of being happy with whatever works for you.