Novice SFI emblem question??

Would definitely consider going to an 86/87 intercooled setup. You would be money ahead rather then try to piece the hot air/ spearco setup back together. It can be done with the existing engine that is in the car. .
I have been trying to research that idea because the engine has had a lot of work done to it, totally refurbished on the inside, do you have any documentation or diagrams or pictures that can help me out.

Do you think pulling the engine out would make it any easier to do all of this. I have been going back and forth and have at this point decided to leave it in.

If you are hell-bent on getting this car running, you would be smart to do a complete 1986-7 inter-cooled conversion as this will actually increase the value of the car.

No need to change the engine, just the intake manifold, turbo and accessories.

Since the engine harness most likely is trash, a 1986-7 used harness is easy to find, and the other parts you need anyway are also easily available used in good condition. Why invest $$$ in hot air parts you will need?

Having dealt with thousands of these cars over almost 30 years, they are difficult and frustrating, but the hot air cars take "frustrating and difficult" to the highest level.

Like usual, I have 5 inter-cooled cars here now to work on, and all have weird and frustrating issues, but these I can figure out in a reasonable time, but the hot air cars are too time consuming and are much too difficult even for simple issues.

You sound like you have a passion for these turbo cars and I wish you well in this project.

I agree completely, an that is the route I am going to take and as far as increasing value, I don't know if I ever could get rid of this car. And I have had a passion for these cars since was 13, and I am only 26 now so I didn't even grow up with these on the road regularly, I have almost caused people to wreck when I see them driving down the road lol.

is their some sort of article I can read or look into on all the items I will need to change out to make I 86-87 Grand National Engine.

Thanks
Lee

If you are hell-bent on getting this car running, you would be smart to do a complete 1986-7 inter-cooled conversion as this will actually increase the value of the car.

No need to change the engine, just the intake manifold, turbo and accessories.

Since the engine harness most likely is trash, a 1986-7 used harness is easy to find, and the other parts you need anyway are also easily available used in good condition. Why invest $$$ in hot air parts you will need?

Having dealt with thousands of these cars over almost 30 years, they are difficult and frustrating, but the hot air cars take "frustrating and difficult" to the highest level.

Like usual, I have 5 inter-cooled cars here now to work on, and all have weird and frustrating issues, but these I can figure out in a reasonable time, but the hot air cars are too time consuming and are much too difficult even for simple issues.

You sound like you have a passion for these turbo cars and I wish you well in this project.

I know a few people have recommended Casper's for the wiring harness, I did find this one and wanted to know what you think about it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-tb86

Thanks

Since this engine compartment is so sketchy I would be very hesitant to trust "refurbished " internals in the engine. It's a pig in poke. I would much rather start with a known running engine (and transmission) than spend the time pulling the engine, rewiring etc just to find the engine is fubar. Since its been sitting count on the fuel system being trashed as well. You've got a major rehab in front of you.

I know a few people have recommended Casper's for the wiring harness, I did find this one and wanted to know what you think about it.

Thanks
NO!!!! Definitely NOT that generic wiring. Stick with a turbo regal specific harness.

All that, and take notice that the HVAC box is all tore up and need replacement. Quite a difficult task finding one but even more difficult to replace.

You have a serious mountain to climb with this project and you'll need a truck load of money to do it.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.

Someone is selling a partially used Caspers harness in the forsale section. Use the search function on this website to find help. Vortex Buick website is full of info. Recommend buying a factory manual. Take the motor and trans out and check the motor on a stand. If you don't know anything about engine internals it will get $$$ quickly!! Make sure you get the internals inspected on the motor. Shiny internals does not equal good running motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
Since you're so attach because of your Dad's connection with the car go for it. You will feel so good when you complete the project. I wish you the best of luck. I live in Kenuucky to bad we aren't closer. John

Since you're so attach because of your Dad's connection with the car go for it. You will feel so good when you complete the project. I wish you the best of luck. I live in Kenuucky to bad we aren't closer. John
Thanks,

My whole dads side of the family lives down in Pikeville Kentucky.

You have the stock hydroboost brakes. Should work good as long as the power steering pump is up to par. Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

Good luck with the project. I'm clueless about ha cars but have heard as the others have said they can be very challenging and expensive. I'd give serious thought to converting to 86/87 but if you stick with it you will definitely need help from the ha guys. Again good luck and keep us updated.

Good mother of God!
:eek:

It may be cheaper to buy another badly damaged or rusted out hot-air car and making one out of two. Or not.

Like mentioned, that's a Sunday project from hell even for a Buick guy.

Not hundred's,,,,,, thousand's of dollars you will sink into that car. Then your still going to have a intercooled hot-air-mo-bile.

I respect your ambition but do yourself a favor and write that thing off. Go find a 86-87 that runs. Or at least a complete car.

Good luck with it man. I bought mine as a non running basket case, and it is still giving me headaches a year later. And I am a mechanic by trade, and have had a LITTLE experience with these cars before buying mine. And it's still not right!

Thanks for the positive and negative remarks both help tremendously. I am not expecting a miracle overnight.... Hopefully over a year lol... I am going to upgrade everything to a cold air intake which was my plan from the beginning. And yeah I always thought it would be thousands. But when you buy a car for pennies instead of dollars you expect to spend money putting it back to normal.

And that's what I want to do is keep it as close to what it originally was but a few years younger lol.