Novice SFI emblem question??

Lee Cable 88

I am young to the Grand National and SFI world. I have recently gotten my dream car. Unfortunately it needs a lot of work and I have lots of questions spread out on other boards but this is a weird one.

My car has the SFI removed on both side of the hood. It has had a lot of work done by previous owner before I got it when it had been broken into and stripped for some parts.

Is their any reason why someone would have purposely done this?

Thanks
Lee

Some people like the clean look of the hood without the emblems. The emblems are also easy to break when polishing which leads to some being removed. BTW, welcome aboard.

Well, does it have a carb? Does it still have a v6 in it? Does it have a funny looking black pipe running around the intake with 6 "sprayers" poking into the intake runners? If you answered "yes" to the last 2 questions then it's probably SFI. If the computer has been changed to an older style aftermarket one, it may not be.

Either way, the emblem is just for looks.:D

Yep same as above I had my car repainted in '06 and never put them back on. The clean look looks better.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

well it may be that they just broke off, but weird that if they both just broke off it would be the exact same way on both sides.

The engine is missing quite a bit on top of it. someone broke into the garage it was stored in and started removing parts, I am not even sure how much at this point. I have a friend hopefully coming over in the next few weeks to take a look. It is an 84' and it does have an intercooler and if you look in the valve cover the whole inside has been redone.

The guy may have just not liked the SFI on the hood.

ALSO Thanks for the welcome.

well it may be that they just broke off, but weird that if they both just broke off it would be the exact same way on both sides.

The engine is missing quite a bit on top of it. someone broke into the garage it was stored in and started removing parts, I am not even sure how much at this point. I have a friend hopefully coming over in the next few weeks to take a look. It is an 84' and it does have an intercooler and if you look in the valve cover the whole inside has been redone.

Whoa! Sounds like you got some big project on your hands. Good luck. I have a feeling we will be hearing from you often.(y)

Engine missing major parts and the concern is for hood emblems? I'm missing something.
Post the engine pictures and you will get the answers you need to get it going again.

Right side of engine
image.jpg

Holy Crap!! All those missing parts AND cut wires. If you were VERY VERY familiar with working on turbo buicks, you would have a HUGE job ahead of you.
If you are a turbo buick NOVICE, I would strongly recommend you skip this project. You will be money ahead if you part it out, and look for a running car!!!!
Seriously!!

I am young to the Grand National and SFI world. I have recently gotten my dream car. Unfortunately it needs a lot of work and I have lots of questions spread out on other boards but this is a weird one.

Lee

Your "dream" car needs some serious help as many expensive and hard to find parts are missing on the engine?

What would bother me the most are the dangling wires that have been cut? Looks like the coil pack/module are missing as well as the harness connector to them?

The 1984-5 turbo Regals are the most difficult of all the turbo Buicks to work on, and many critical parts are no longer available and substitute parts are expensive.

I have 2 of these damn cursed cars that sort-of run, but the owners abandoned them rather than paying their bills. :(

It is a hot air car and no intercooler someone cut the wires for the coil pack off and the throttle body is missing how many other wires are missing you don't know. Where are you located? You'll need some one with a hot air that's at least got all parts on it. Good luck. John

Well I know that it is not going to be easy and that's fine I can deal with that, but if I just give up then I am just like all the other guys who decided it was to much to fix their cars and got rid of them.

I have found the wiring harness and I have found coil packs and yes they are expensive to get all at once.

But this was me and my dads project that never got started because he passed away suddenly. So I am going to get it fixed and back up and running.

And at lest i have an engine and a frame and a lot of other parts that I wouldn't have if I didn't have one.

It actually has been upgraded with an intercooler just none of the pipes are their. The intercooler is in front of the radiator and is a spearco.

I am in remington va and thank you hotairgnx548

If you insist on this project, I would get a new 87 wiring harness from Caspers and find a running intercooled engine to drop in. You'll come way out ahead of trying fix that devilry.

Would definitely consider going to an 86/87 intercooled setup. You would be money ahead rather then try to piece the hot air/ spearco setup back together. It can be done with the existing engine that is in the car. .

If you are hell-bent on getting this car running, you would be smart to do a complete 1986-7 inter-cooled conversion as this will actually increase the value of the car.

No need to change the engine, just the intake manifold, turbo and accessories.

Since the engine harness most likely is trash, a 1986-7 used harness is easy to find, and the other parts you need anyway are also easily available used in good condition. Why invest $$$ in hot air parts you will need?

Having dealt with thousands of these cars over almost 30 years, they are difficult and frustrating, but the hot air cars take "frustrating and difficult" to the highest level.

Like usual, I have 5 inter-cooled cars here now to work on, and all have weird and frustrating issues, but these I can figure out in a reasonable time, but the hot air cars are too time consuming and are much too difficult even for simple issues.

You sound like you have a passion for these turbo cars and I wish you well in this project.

If your gonna listen to any advise ever about this car please listen to what everybody just said. Switch this motor over to an 86/87 setup. If you have the money buy a new wire harness from caspers electronics. A used harness is ok but they all have gremlins in them that need attention. Good luck and welcome!!