NOS Anybody still using?

cwmccray

Undercover TURBO Brother
I am wondering is anybody still using NOS (except for the Mad Scientist, Don Wang). Technology has come a long way now. With Eric at TT creating great chip, I am curious to know if the Import Crowd the only ones spraying Turbos. Most FAST Supra's are spraying small shots. With the emergence of E85, I might consider spraying a small shot. I sprayed a HA almost 20 years ago and it really WOKE up my T Type. Hot Air cars respond well to Nitrous. A small 50 hp is worth almost 90hp on a HA. I got as far as 90hp (130hp) and stopped... I spent countlless hours and calls to NOS(Kevin) working on tune... Trust me pulling plugs on a HA is a BITCH... but to take a stock HA with a few bolt ons: ATR 2 1/2 down pipe, Kenne Bell 85 NOS Chip, Kenne Bell Booster pump, REDS XP Pump in tank and run 12.79 was priceless. In 1993, Intercooled were still running in 11.90-12.5's. I had FUN with a 85 T. The optimum word was FUN.. To Much fun equally head gaskets... Ask me I know... My buddy was running 12.00 with the 125hp NOS shot on his 86 GN.. He got GREEDY and changed to 175hp jets... It was not pretty... Well, actually it was... Front end was high enough to roll a garbage can under it to catch carnage... Car came down and oil pan exploded. Ran out of fuel on top end :-(. Well as we discovered, the hobbs switch to his REDS double pumper was unhooked to get to jets in solonoid :-( :-(... He got pulled to the pits and was shaking... :D. You would have thought he saw "Jesus" on launch. :eek:. This was a expensive lesson... He went to a Stage I block and put NOS on his street T... only 125hp... I do not think he wanted to see "Jesus" again...

I guess no one is using NOS.. except for the West Coast guys: Don Wang and MiAde2d.

I run an nx wet kit for special occasions;)these cars and everything else I know responds amazing on the stuff.

I think its a tuning thing. You tune a car on 93, then 93 and alky, then more boost, etc....Nitrous is another variable. You just need to WANT to add that variable and associated tuning. A lot of these cars are running on the ragged edge as is....and going fast.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I was thinking the same thing as notacarlo. Cylinder pressure would become a problem if you are already running 30psi with alky then adding nitrous is really going to strain things. Gabby Rojas uses nitrous with some serious boost pressure, so it can be done.
I personally love nitrous. I have always invested serious money in safety devices and progressive controllers.
I ran a 200 shot for a year on a daily driven 2001 Cobra. The car had bolt on's and 4.10 gears and was really fast on the street. With the progressive controller I could dial in traction with street tires. I had a 2 stage Wilson plate system on my 410ci Windsor 94 Cobra and a Wilson plate on my F1 procharged cobra which also had an AEM meth system. All of them had a NOS progressive controller, windows switch, back up solenoids and low fuel pressure cut off.
I was seriously considering it after I build the motor. I would think you would have serious traction issues without a progressive controller. What I do not want to do is need to drop boost or timing a bunch in order to run it. At that point you are better off just turning up the boost which goes back to what notacarlo was saying.
I see it used a lot on cars with big turbo's to help with lag, but I personally feel a properly sized turbo is a better option.
Maybe Gabby or 86buick will chime in about what size shot they use, turn on/off points any timing retard etc.

Last edited:
I used nitrous about 4 years ago on one of my engines. I saw the highest fuel consumption out of any stock block Buick v6 I ever played with. Over 400lbs/hr through the injectors and was using dual nozzle alky at the same time. The N2O was dry flowed through the intake and all fuel demands were handled through the XFI. The car went 10.5x?(can't recall exact e.t.) @137+ 1.9-2.0 sixty foot out of compressor WITHOUT N2O. Without nitrous the engine used 340-350lbs/hr. .8g @85mph with nitrous.

What size shot Bison?
I don't recall the jet I used. Looks like it added about 125-150hp though. I remember it being really hot when running it. It was the middle of summer. All targets and timing were through the XFI and triggered with the XFI.

I like the conversations that were going about launch assist. Using a 50-75 shot at the line only.

Quick spooling an 88 on the line....nuts. Especially with all the competitors stalling at the lights because they're next to a turbo car.
I can't remember the member, but there was a flapper valve on the turbine side of a twin scroll that would close on spool up then open at the punch. I believe he was also using nitrous.

I ran it on my TTA when I had the 71 GTQ .85 housing. I would use it to get over the pipe.. It was activated by TPS and RPM, and deactivated by boost. So you floor the car when the RPM's hit 2500 it would spray.. and once it hit 10 psi it would shut off. Control for activation through the XFI.

I think the biggest deal with nitrous is you have to know bottle pressure.. and make sure air fuel doesn't go lean when on the button. Using a stock edu and a simple nitrous kit.. this becomes increasingly difficult to achieve every single time.

So between the bottle warmer, purge, electronic pressure gauge, spare bottle, remote opener, etc etc etc.. it was a complicated setup up. laggy turbo was no more.. but the car with the given setup ran better with a ball bearing 66 than with the 71 and nitrous.

FWIW, the only Buick motor I ever windowed was using the bottle. From blowing tires on the launch.. hitting the rev limiter 7k.. getting into fuel cut.. kaboom. Just need to be careful.. as stated above.. its one more thing added to the list of distractions.

I have had success with a Wet NOS System for a 86 on a Hot Air. A 50hp shot was worth 90hp on a Hot Air. I would launch off idle and run the entire run on NOS. Had the usual items: external pump with XP pump in tank, Kenne Bell NOS chip for Hot Air, ATR 2 1/2 downpipe and Hooker Exhaust. It took plenty of calls to NOS and many plug readings to get it right. Ran 12.70-80 with bolt on in a Hot Air. I stepped up to a 90hp (worth 135ph+/-). and my tranny started to slip. This was my daily driver in college and I needed to keep rolling, so I took the NOS off. My two runs on the 90hp were in the 12.20's slipping. I hustled Rugstangs , Camaros, and a few GN's, in the early 90's. Most folks thought 85 T Types were SLOW because they did not have intercoolers...

I later helped a friend with his ZEX nitrous on his Hot Air. This system is control by TPS and Bottle pressure. Pretty nice system, if the pressure not right it will not fire NOS. It reads the TPS also. He already had a 3" downpipe and exhaust, 36 lb injectors and TA49. He was already running 13.70's on 19-20lbs of boost. We added a XP pump, hot wired and a Red Armstrong chip w/86 computer. We lower the boost to 16lbs and hit the NOS (90hp) to run 12.00's (21-22 lbs on NOS). We never go a chance together to put it in the 11's. He graduated Engineering school and moved up North.

With the emergence of E85, I am consider a larger shot of NOS. I am not talking 200hp, but 100hp and working up to maybe 150hp. I going to start out with 83lb injectors and may end up with 120lbs. Can a Hot Air take it? I am going to eventually find out. I think Eric has some great chips that will allow NOS to flow just like alky.

I have had success with a Wet NOS System for a 86 on a Hot Air. A 50hp shot was worth 90hp on a Hot Air. I would launch off idle and run the entire run on NOS. Had the usual items: external pump with XP pump in tank, Kenne Bell NOS chip for Hot Air, ATR 2 1/2 downpipe and Hooker Exhaust. It took plenty of calls to NOS and many plug readings to get it right. Ran 12.70-80 with bolt on in a Hot Air. I stepped up to a 90hp (worth 135ph+/-). and my tranny started to slip. This was my daily driver in college and I needed to keep rolling, so I took the NOS off. My two runs on the 90hp were in the 12.20's slipping. I hustled Rugstangs , Camaros, and a few GN's, in the early 90's. Most folks thought 85 T Types were SLOW because they did not have intercoolers...

I later helped a friend with his ZEX nitrous on his Hot Air. This system is control by TPS and Bottle pressure. Pretty nice system, if the pressure not right it will not fire NOS. It reads the TPS also. He already had a 3" downpipe and exhaust, 36 lb injectors and TA49. He was already running 13.70's on 19-20lbs of boost. We added a XP pump, hot wired and a Red Armstrong chip w/86 computer. We lower the boost to 16lbs and hit the NOS (90hp) to run 12.00's (21-22 lbs on NOS). We never go a chance together to put it in the 11's. He graduated Engineering school and moved up North.

With the emergence of E85, I am consider a larger shot of NOS. I am not talking 200hp, but 100hp and working up to maybe 150hp. I going to start out with 83lb injectors and may end up with 120lbs. Can a Hot Air take it? I am going to eventually find out. I think Eric has some great chips that will allow NOS to flow just like alky.
If you want to do it reliably I'd consider raising the operating rpm of the engine to help control cylinder pressure . The converter requirements will be quite a bit different for both
If

I used a 75 shot on my '84 GN when it was Hot-Air (prior to a group of current mods); TA-33, Ported intake, ported stock heads, ATR exhaust. I was street racing it at the time in Colorado Springs (Thin air) I beat several of the fast cars of the time period, and I am betting they had a bottle on their cars too to keep up with me. :)

I haven't been consistent with the bottle yet at the track... but it gets me 112 mph in the quarter. I have a progressive controller I want to try out.

:confused:I have followed you and your GN longer than I care to say. I know if your 75hp shot worked at high altitude it would work for me. I had pretty close to the same setup you had minus porting and TA33. I agree with your past statement about TT chips and E85, one could SPRAY more NOS. I am gun shy to a point. We have determined that NOS is the greatest bang, BUT you REALLY have to KNOW what you are doing.... BISON is right, you would need to raise engine speed. MiAde2d has sprayed his 85 T to a 10.98. Ironically his is using stuff we all have tossed or sold. Conleys Performance Plus put it together with GN1 heads, Spearco intercooler, Hooker Headers, NOS, Conley Hot Air Chip (probably a MAG Chip), Hot Air Mass Air and 57 lb injectors. His NOS launches the car and shuts off at 10lbs. This car has made me re evaluate alot of things about a HOT AIR... How many Hot Air are in the 10's with a HOT AIR computer? The NOS is not screwing anything up. And the topper is 10 second power through the Spearco intercooler and the "famous 2 inch elbow". And last point the throttle body is STILL attached to the turbo... Interesting:confused::eek::)

How did you guys choose your fuel nozzle for your wet set up?

This is what NX just told me
you will need to jet it by your base fuel pressure at wide open throttle and Zero boost. (assuming you have a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that is 1:1 with boost) jetting is available at the link listed below
I never been WOT and Zero boost.
So do i pick a fuel nozzle for 40 psi or 70 psi??
I only plan on using the N2O up to about 15# of boost -- so use fuel target of 55 psi?
that would make it lean at first hit from a roll when the car would probably still be in vacuum.
I guess i just answered my question-- Get a fuel jet for 40 psi and adjust

Last edited:
I run the nx wet setup,you jet based on power you want to make,the jetting for the motors is in the back of the directions.i spray from start to finish and have dropped 4 tenths with a 35 shot,if your pump is good afr should be steady all the way.you should have a fuel pressure gauge and wideband that you can watch.