Non-lockup to Lockup converter

87GN

When I bought the car it had a nonlockup converter. Now I would like to go with a lockup converter. Do I just buy it and install it or is there other changes involved.

Thx, Nic

I would like to push this to the top, since I also have a non lock up and don't like the mph that I have lost on the big end. Considering the 9/11 but I removed a ball bearing in the front of the "front pump" Don't know if this is going to be a problem or not. Thanks

Zak

You should not need to do any thing else other than to take the non lockup out and put the lockup in. Make sure you put a quart of tranny fluid in the covertor before installing it and make sure you get the convertor all the way on the input shaft.

Whoa! Not True!

In most cases, the lock-up valve in the pump has been modified, repositioned or replaced during the non lock-up conversion. The pump will need to be returned to stock.

The ball in the end of the input shaft provides a cushion for the TCC apply. You can run the lock-up w/o the ball but it will apply firmer.

TCC = torque converter clutch. The checkball is in the input shaft.
There is a vave that installs from the bottom,(remove pan and you'll see it) that needs to be replaced with a lockup valve. It's retained by a snap ring. you will also need a solenoid and the correct wiring harness if you dont already have it.

squeeze87

Where do I get the lockup valve, the seleniod and harness??

Thx, Nic

Guys- I'm in the same situation that you are. I bought a trans which I was told was a lock-up. Upon installing I discover that it's not. :(

Greg, what parts are needed if any, to return a pump back to stock?

Depending on what's been removed from the transmission during the non lock-up conversion, you'll need:
  • input shaft o-ring
  • TCC valve, springs, retainer for the pump
  • wiring harness & solenoid
  • valve body pressure switches
  • case electrical connector

Also, in some cases, depending on the converter configuration, the little journal on the end of the input shaft where the o-ring goes has been cut off. That would require a new input shaft.