no start and no idiot lights

Ron Coleman

Hey Guys!

I was just cruising with the air on and she just shut down and i tried starting but nothing turned over and no idiot lights.
I checked the grounds on the block and they looked visibly good.
I checked the ignition purple wire it had no voltage so i jumped it and the starter turned over but still no lights.

I changed the ciolpack and computer but nothing.

Any Ideas Guys!!??

You should have three wires going to starter one of these wires could be grounding out and they are fuseable link wires could be bad check these out, odd that it did this going down the road though.

I checked the battery was over 12 v but must be a little lower because of tryin to start car.

checked fuses,grounds.

How do u check the fusible links?,would that cause no power to anything?

thanks

voltage light coulda gone out, thus alternator not charging battery, equal dead car with no lights....does key on, engine off get any lights?

thanks guys

so u mean to tell me those links would cause my to lose my dash lights,fuel pump,radio,horn? :confused:

84GNwith87eng said:
voltage light coulda gone out, thus alternator not charging battery, equal dead car with no lights....does key on, engine off get any lights?

No Nothing any ideas?

Patience, young Jedi- patience! :D

Fusible links are in effect main bus fuses designed to sacrifice itself in the event of a power surge/spike/ etc. Yes, blown fusible links could shut down your car.

if one of those fusible limks are broken you wont get any power inside the car, those wires supply power to all the acc. Youll need to check for power on both sides of the link with a test light or check them for resistance with an ohometer
Good Luck

SouthernCal GN said:
Patience, young Jedi- patience! :D

Fusible links are in effect main bus fuses designed to sacrifice itself in the event of a power surge/spike/ etc. Yes, blown fusible links could shut down your car.

How do u check these little bastards??

Thanks SouthernCal GN

wonderfull group

LOL
U guys are top notch. the response time is pretty pretty fast.
Are these three separate wires going to where ?

thanks for the help guys!

SouthernCal GN said:
That I don't know.
Have you checked the alternator output.
I can't the car won't start lol but if u mean now yes same voltage as battery if that matters and no burnt smell coming from alternator

the voltage light on the dash?
no i didn't will check!

Ron Coleman said:
LOL
U guys are top notch. the response time is pretty pretty fast.
Are these three separate wires going to where ?

thanks for the help guys!

The fusible links are located down by the starter. If the original wire looms are still intact, then you may have to unwrap them to get to them.

THey are the black-barrel shaped things on the pink wires that go to the large post of the starter that the Positive battery cable also goes to.

Take the alt to an auto parts store and have it checked for output. If you alt stopped putting out, the system switches to the battery as a reserve power source. With the A/C going, plus stereo, and regular engine operations, it doesn't take much to suck the battery dry.

Have you charged the battery/swapped the battery out?

Real-T said:
The fusible links are located down by the starter. If the original wire looms are still intact, then you may have to unwrap them to get to them.

THey are the black-barrel shaped things on the pink wires that go to the large post of the starter that the Positive battery cable also goes to.

Do I just cut them and put new fusible links or just splice it and put new connectors on ?

Thanks Real-T

SouthernCal GN said:
Take the alt to an auto parts store and have it checked for output. If you alt stopped putting out, the system switches to the battery as a reserve power source. With the A/C going, plus stereo, and regular engine operations, it doesn't take much to suck the battery dry.

Have you charged the battery/swapped the battery out?

No I didn't do any of that but i will when i go down stairs.
The alt is about 4 years old it's from a impala ss so i know it was sufficient. it always puts out 13.7-13.4 so i never thought it was a problem but hey,U never know!

Ron Coleman said:
Do I just cut them and put new fusible links or just splice it and put new connectors on ?

Thanks Real-T

Well, the fusible links will need to be replaced. A short cut would be to just splice them outta there and put new connector rings on, but remember that after doing that there is no protection from surges and spikes.

So, if you do choose to do that, then make sure you find out the root cause of them blowing in the first place...

Otherwise, replace them with links of the same rating.

Here is the wiring chart from GNTyper.org :

http://gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring_images/enginecomp.jpg

WoW Real-T Thanks

Im going down to tackle this :mad:
I would like to know where do I get these fusible links??